Feeling a little dumb

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
Went out Tuesday evening with my sweetie. We fished along for about 20 -30 minutes and decided to move. So I turn the key and grrrrrrrrrrrr. Again. Nada. Remember what Bob said about priming the bulb after an extended stop, I did. Tried it again. Nope. After a while of drifting aimlessly and considering TMing back to the ramp, Bingo!! An IDEA! When I had gotten up the kill switch was still attached and tripped. DUH!!!!:eek::lol:

You shoulda seen me trying to launch my boat without taking the trailer tie-downs off. Had the friggin boat lifted off the trailer, face about three shades of red. Once I found out what it was, my face turned three different shades. Oh well....LOL :wacko:

Sometimes I'm prone to a little comedic "slip-up". :rolleyes: Once, while riding my bicycle, I took a drink of water and rode off into a ditch about 4' deep. Not worrying about being hurt, I stood up and looked around to see if anyone had seen me!:unsure::lol:

I've NEVER done that OR leave the boat plug out either!:lol:

Kinda' like falling on ice and jumping up to look around who's seen you:rolleyes:

A friend was volunteering for the collegiate series in Indiana and wanted to make sure his boat was ready to impress these college guys. He got to the ramp and when backed in teh boat wouldn't start. He couldn't understand this since he has just put new plugs in etc... the college kid said, "did you put the plug wires back on?" Curt just looked at him as if he had just said the dumbest thing he had ever heard. Well they pulled the cowl and sure enough all the wires were just hanging!!!!! To top it off, it was early april and when they did get the boat back to the water he walked down the ramp to climb in the boat and slipped into the water due to the wet ramp. Needless to say not his best moment!!!!

Randy!

Randy!:lol::lol:

Tuesday when we got back to the ramp, my Sweetie got out to go get the truck/trailer, and I asked for a little shove to keep from lowering the motor/engaging in shallow water. So she turned around and gave a little shove, but slipped on the ramp. She was kind of suspended for about 2 seconds with this look on her face that said, "Uh-oH", and then down she went! I couldn't help but to laugh!:lol::lol::lol:

The first time I had my boat in the water 3 yrs ago, was a disaster. My buddy went with me to show me the different features, differences from a run-about, etc...what he got in return was a free comedy show. When we pulled to the dock to take the boat out of the water, I stood up to hold the onto the dock as he jumped off to get the truck. As he got off the boat he pushed off. I had one foot on boat and one foot on the dock, which were soon getting farther and farther apart as I did a split. Needless to say, I got wet. Problem.....as I fell in the foot I had on the boat pushed off as I hit the water. Boat floats about 50 ft from dock....I get wet again to retrieve it. I haven't seen anyone search for a camera that fast since that day.:D

Eric

I've had my current boat since brand new in 2000. Never forgot to put the plug in, etc. Two nights ago, I was fishng with my kids after work for a couple of hours. I loaded the boat on the trailer like usual. My kids were yakking while I was pulling the boat/trailer up the ramp. I heard a scraping sound, stopped and turned off the truck. I forgot to raise the motor up higher after loading. I cleaned the paint and some metal off of the bottom of the skeg and it looks like it has a very slight bend in it. Thanks to my kids for not saying anything. HA! Last trip for them anyways, off to college they go. Hopefully everything will run ok next time out.

My wife got the best of me in a 'boat ramp' type of episode a few years ago. We bought one of the 'Hank Parker Kayak's' and took it to a 100 acre park lake in SC. Got it down, to the shore and all the prelimin's done. Wife went out and did very well with it. Now it was my turn.

If you haven't met me or seen me in a picture, I'm a BIG Guy (not tall, big as in large around). I had on my trunks, water shoes and all the standard safety stuff. The kayak was about 15% on the shore, the balance in floating in about 8-12 inches of water. I told her to simply hold the bow line until I was ready to push off. Same technique that I used. Once I got on I was trying to balance my weight and girth on the kayak. As I watched, she lifted up on the bow line to 'help'. Needless to say, as soon as the bow came up, the entire thing flipped and in I went. She still starts laughing uncontrollably every time the story comes up.

The only thing that she wishes, is that someone taped it for youtube. She is certain that it would go 'viral'.

:D:lol::cool:

Tex

I think I have done almost all of the goofs that be don, some more than once!:D

RoyC

Jeeze what is this, story hour?:lol::lol::lol: I would never admit to anything. Nope, not like letting Greg Meyer off the boat at a dock on the Wolf river so that he could go get a cup of danged coffee, and having a huge wakeboard boat come by and suck the water out from under my boat while I had 1 foot on the dock causing me to do a move from Circ de' solei akin to a backwards swan dive just to stay on the boat. Nope, not me.....OR.... trying to lay on my deck and grab a handful of water lillies to take home to my koi pond and getting jerked off my deck headfirst into the muck and having to go to the weigh in (in full tournament garb) looking like a 1/2 dipped in chocolate ice cream cone.....Or.....:wacko::huh: no, not me........

TOXIC

Me neither! I'm not ever again going to admit I forgot my drain plug...or...or....that I ran out of gas and had to be towed. It's too embarrassing!!!

OR I'm not admitting either that when my water pump went out last year and was being towed in that my straw cowboy hat blew off and I wasn't about to yell STOP..no way!:lol:

I was netting tadpoles off the bow of my boat (for my kids back home) in a stumpy bay with the trolling motor on medium (scouting for em). I went to reaaaach for one sitting on a stump, hit a log and flew into the water watching my boat trolling away. Thank goodness it hooked up on another log or who knows where it would have went. Whew! no cameras around!

I'm beginning to feel like I fit might fit right in here!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Hammer, how aboutthe launch contest? I think you have it won hands down. 'Gars, cell, hat, wallet??

Many years ago on Chickahominy River, several tournament guys wanted their Lowrance units updated with the latest software. I broke out my wallet of cards and went through their boats one at a time, loading it up for them. I finished early and tossed the card wallet on the front deck right in front of my drivers console.

A short time later, it was blast-off time and as they called my name and I hammered the throttle, something small and black flew by my right shoulder. What was THAT? :blink: Oh well, probably a bird or something. Up the river many, many miles... Came off of plane and jumped on the front deck to get the trolling motor ready, and that is when it hit me - that black object that flew by my shoulder was my card wallet - along with about a dozen or so cards - including updates for Lowrance units, HotMaps and other Navionics cards. In all, quite a few hundred dollars from a rough estimate.

No good deed goes "unrewarded" I guess... :rolleyes: :lol::lol::lol:

I've done the drag the skeg up a ramp

I've done the run out of gas thing (in a boat with TWO tanks)

Never left the plug out - but now that I wrote it, it's coming, I'm sure.

All the best,

Glenn

Oh... I forgot - I also put one up on a mudflat while doing about 35mph (slowed to about 10 or so when I realized where I was - then STUCK!). Took FOREVER to get it out of there by myself. Dig in the mud, rock boat, dig some more, rock boat, move boat inches, dig in the mud... over and over, and over again.

It was that nasty black molasses-sticky type mud that stunk like something died in it too! I was COVERED in it.

All the best,

Glenn

Mr. Hammer. How is my coffee "need" to blame for your "boat dance"? And, and BTW... I have never done anything like these things in my life... "Cept...once I slid on a wet floor..once... and shot up the place... but that's not a boat story so it doesn't count...LOL

No, not your fault except if you hadn't needed that java (and TJ as well) I would have never even been on that dock!! I failed to mention that in my landing on the deck (akin to a B52 coming in with its landing gear up) I landed square on a crankbait which you had to remove from my shoulder blade. But Greg you have a penchant for angering dock owners that required my expert mediation to keep the peace.....sheesh and you LEO's are supposed to be trained to take verbal abuse!! Carlos, I have officially withdrawn from the launch competition after I had to explain to Uncle Sam how, on a sick day from work, my gooberment issued cell phone ended up at the bottom of the lake!! And if I remember correctly, I had the title for most $$ value launched outta the boat but you had the size title....your rear fold down seat if I remember correctly. Most recently, Scott Favors and I were fishing the Potomac in a little get together that Carlos put together and I was ragging on him to get off the TM because we were fishing docks and I was throwing........wait for it.....SENKO's...... and I wasn't getting enough soak time. He broke off on a dock and sat down to re-tie and the wind/current was blowing us into the dock, so I reached out to push us off and the top of the dock posts had orange construction cones over them and when I pushed it I felt a crackle/squish and wasps came out from under that cone like they were poured from a pitcher!! I was jumping around like Yogi Bear cussing at him to get us outta there!! I was about a nanosecond from going into the river...on purpose!! There are 2 stories in the archives of this site that are classic....My experience of lighting methane on Lake Champlain and Neeley's black-fly story.

And finally.......Nobody put up the skirt picture!!:lol: :lol::lol:

TOXIC

This wasn't me but, I was there and I just about fell in myself....from laughter!:lol:

A long time ago both my unc's, my dad and I went to Dale Hollow for some brown fish and Unc#1 needs to hit the woods (iffun ya' no waddi meen).Unc#1 steps off the bow and you guessed it...the boat slips backwards and into the drink he goes! All you can see at this point is his hair floating on the top of the water.

Unc#2 is laughing his arse off (of course I was too) and feels sorry for him cuz the water temp is early spring and cold....reaches his hand down and you guessed it...pulls Unc#2 into the drink!

Our fishing day was cut short by these two knotheads but, fun nonetheless!:lol:

I have sooooo many stories from Dale Hollow;)

Tox, still early in the day, plenty of time for pics!!

Mac what about my "shortcut"....lol

:lol::lol::lol:

I've done more than my share to garner a closet full of T-shirts stating "Been There" or "Done That". :lol: I've also seen pro's you wouldn't believe do the same and worse! :lol:

Several years ago, one of my club members showed up a bit late on tournament morning. In his haste to get his boat ready, he put his drain plug into the overflow drain hole for his livewell on the back of the boat. One of the other guys backed him into the water and then parked his truck.

He was busy getting his tackle ready when one of the guys noticed the back of his boat was actually below the waterline. we were able to get his boat onto another guys trailer so we could pull it out and get it drained.

We affectionately nicknamed him "Wrong Hole Leroy" after that incident and it has cost him many embarrasing moments for him trying to explain the nickname when someone calls him that:p

RoyC

FOr Toxic....copy and pasted from loooong ago.

Nobody alive knows this because my uncle that witnessed it has passed away...

He took me on a fly-in fishing trip to Canada when I was 14. We were out on the lake on a hot August day, catching pike like you wouldn't believe. After a night of drinking his Colt 45's, I had the trots and we were 10 miles from the cabin, so we pull up to an island, and I just barely got my pants down and squatted over a log before I cut loose.

Anybody ever been to the north woods of Canada on a hot August day??? If so, you've encountered the horrendous creatures known as blackflies!!! A whole frikkin' swarm of 'em proceeded to attack my entire nether regions while I was squatted over that log. I got my pants up and lit out for the boat, after being bitten no less than a dozen times. We weren't due to fly out for two days, and the next morning, I was swelled up from front to back...tighter than a frogs arss, wasn't nothing gonna come out of there, no how no way and I still had the trots. Needless to say, it was the most uncomfortable 2 days of my life, and when they got me to the local clinic, I was never happier to see that nice nurse holding an enema and coming my way!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I had a similar experience when I went to BPS headquarters and they fed me Catfish. That stuff went to work immediately, and for some reason I thought to myself..."it's not that far to the hotel room".....I'll leave the rest of the story alone....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And folks continue to take advice on important stuff from this pack of rubes -- :lol:;):lol:. By the way, a Nitro NX 750 DC will float [wallow, really] with water inside up to the throttle box. On the other hand, a manual won't stay dry.

Who you callin' a RUBE Marty?

O.K. maybe Bob and a few others:lol::p

Well, if Neeley is going to post his, I will post mine:

My post regarding one of the ways I got the TOXIC nickname. It was a trip to Lake Champlain. It has been re-enforced over the years but never in such Barnum and Baily fashion.

TOXIC did not originate with natural gas but as I told you, it most certainly enhanced the title. Picture this---Bunch of guys sitting in a remote fishing cabin after a long day on the water snacking on Slim Jim's, pickled eggs, veggies, smoked oysters (from the can), Vienna Sausage and last but not least, big huge deli garlic pickles. Now the conversation turned to whether human natural gas was in fact flammable. I chimed in and said "why of course it is, didn't anyone see Mad Max and the Thunderdome ("Who run Bartertown?"), they ran a whole city on pig farts"? Well, a disagreement ensued and I was pressured to prove my point. Having previously experimented with human combustible emissions, I knew I would win the argument but what I failed to consider in my equation was the intensity of the fuel source. This being an "up-scale" cabin, we had a mouse infested Lazy boy recliner. I was lucky enough to have snagged it for the evenings discussions. I proceeded to drop trou (but not my tightie whities, after all I didn't want to embarrass the other guys) and hike my legs up on the edges of the recliner. I lit my trusty Bic and let loose with a stream of gas that could only be equaled by a rocket funny car at the dragstrip. Having totally mis judged the amount and purity of the fuel due to the days prime fuel consumption, ignition occurred and it was like holding a match up to a can of hair spray. That's all well and good but another event took place that took a bad situation to worse----the intense blue flame fought wildly to find the source of the fuel traveling through my tightie whities and--- well, singed a very delicate part of my anatomy (Ken, does that make us brothers?). I threw my legs in the air causing the recliner to tip over backwards and rammed my head through and wedging tightly in the cheap drywall. There I sat with my head stuck in the wall and my underwear burning like a one year old's birthday candle. They eventually freed me (I put out the fire).

TOXIC (if the name fits, wear it)

winner winner burnt bunghole dinner!

Latest posts

Back