Fair Price for Aluminum Welding?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Ferendo

Reaction score
My local boat shop told me that the keel on my Pro 17 was loose. They said that it was even pulling some rivets and that the only repair would be to weld it. Estimated price was 12 - 1600 for taking it off the trailer, removing the motor, turning it upside down, welding and then putting it all back together again. Does this sound like a reasonable amount or should I get another opinion? Boat shops in my area are few and far between so I would probably be looking at taking it 75 miles one way to get another opinion.

Thanks in advance.

SteveF

That's a bit high, I think. And besides, the last place to take your boat is to a boat shop. Seriously, find a small business welding shop that advertises aluminum welding and you most likely will get a better price than that. Ask to see a piece of their work, though, because aluminum welding is apparently an artform that is easy to do a sorry job of, but tough to do a fine job. The only time I took an aluminum boat to a local boat shop, they charged me $150 and the boat still leaked, I found a local welding shop and guess who did that $150 job for the boat shop? Yep, so this time I said do it right and leak check it with dyed water. They, did, it dried up the leak, they did a lot more welding than the original work and charged me $75.

Good luck.

jag

Wonder why they would weld it, Aren't they rivited on ?? I believe my pro-17 is.

Are they planning on removing the deck and floor to remove the flotation foam before welding ?? It does burn. Does the cost include replacing the foam???

Removing the motor is easy, two guys can lift it off.

I also don't see why they would need to flip it upside down.

Guess I'm really not much help, more questions than anything. :unsure: I would ask around for a second opinion though.

I had a 12" or so crack welded on mine a few years ago at a local shop. I removed the front deck, and removed the foam so they could just prep and weld. Cost me $20.

Steve I can give you the number to Stewarts Welding in White Marsh if thats not to far for you. Tell me you did not take the boat to Mare? (or however they spell it)

BF

I had a 2 inch crack in the hull of my TV 18 welded at a local welding shop for $20.

Shop around!

Good luck.

All foam has to come out that is anywhere near the welding. It's highly flammable. On the second time out with my PT-17 I somehow had a hole poked in the side about the size of a fifty cent piece. I called around to local welding shops to fnd someone who could Tig weld. I found one and drove over to his shop and we pulled the boat off the trailer about three feet to unclover the hole. He tried welding with the foam still in and it almost exploded. So I spent three hours digging and cutting it out with a serrated knife. Then he spent 10 minutes welding the hole and 1/2 hour or so smoothing it down to make it look right. You "might" be able to find where the hole was if you search very carefully around the boat. Anyway, everything he did for me welding, etc., cost me $95.00. I was shell shocked when he told me that.

So, try to find a TIG welder. This one was in Annapolis and he was great.

As an aside, I TIPPED the guy (he was about 18) $40.00 and it was well worth it to me. He tried not to take it and just about as I was going to say "Oh, Ok", he said "oh, ok." and took it.:) This was four years ago.

Uncle Billy

Very difficult to weld also if there is ANY moisture whatsoever in the foam....it'll just blow the hole out and make it bigger:eek:

I used them twice (everybody desevers a 2nd chance) never again.

BF

Latest posts

Back