Ever heard of a NU Legend bass boat ???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
NU Legend boats are made in Kentucky somewere.I've never heard of them and all though they have a website its not really up to date.N.A.D.A. BOOK doesn't have them listed and I thought they listed everything that was ever out there. My brother wants to by this boat its 20'2'looks really good its on a husyler trailer not real fancy but good with all the bells and whistles of most boats its size. 1999 Evinrude 2001 boat both are new never titled warrenty applies.17,500.00 I might motor.but not at the expense of my brother if the boat is no good .any input is very much appreciated.

I havn't heard of it before. might have a hard time selling in the future without any name recognition although it may be a great rig. 17k here in oklahoma/texas area can get you a good used 98-99 20 footer. there should be some boat shows coming up soon also to compare. has he seen mac's 901 in the swap n sell?

jd

PLEASE!!!!! See Rich Stern's comments under the post: "1999 Evinrude 175hp ficht whats it worth ? by MARK G., 1/6/2003"

He said..... And I absolutely trust Rich.....

"Mark, if you buy that engine, it is a game of 'motor Russian roulette.'

"The Ficht motors have great operating characteristics. And it may very well run hundreds of hours for you without a lick of trouble. But (and it's huge), they are almost worthless once they blow. And they do blow with alarming frequency.

"The 1997/1998 150 and 175 Fichts were VERY problematic. The most common issue appears to have been blown cylinders due to lean running, detonation induced lubrication problems. The engines run very lean to achieve the low pollution/high MPG goals. The operating characteristics encountered in real world boating applications caused the software in the motors to come up short when the motors were run for long periods under load in different situations.

"OMC tried a number of software upgrades to correct the problems. In the end, many owners got fully dressed, new powerheads in addition to software upgrades after their motors blew. But, some folks continued to blow motors after one or more replacement blocks.

"There is mixed feedback on whether or not the upgrades before 2000 did any good. Conventional wisdom is that the 2000 upgrades made the motor more reliable, but there were still problems.

"When Bombardier bought OMC's engine business from the bankruptcy, they did not take on any warranty liability. They did voluntarily agree to honor warranties for 2000 and later model year motors. That should tell you something right there. Folks with 1999 moters under OMC warranty were told to go pound sand.

"If it blows, it's gonna be $3000 to fix, and nobody is gonna want to warranty their work for any period of time, and you are not going to have confidence that it won't blow again. A $7500 motor that might cost another $6000 to $9000 just to keep running over a few years, hence perceived as worthless once it blows the first time.

"When you find yourself thinking you want to buy it: Repeat this question: "Do I want to buy the motor that put OMC into bankruptcy?"

"My advice: Don't do it."

Scott, thanks for quoting me, saves me some typing.

Mark, in my boat buying research (endlessly searching for the next boat), whenever I come across a boat with a 1999 or earlier Ficht on the back, I only look if it is an outrageously good deal...basically, priced close to the value of the hull and trailer, with the motor thrown in for next to nothing.

A warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it. In the case of a 1999 Ficht, there is no company. Can't speak to the NU Legend. I've seen a few in boatyards, but never looked closely at them. Don't know anything about the company.

WOW ! This is exactly the reason this board is so great. Thanks Scott and Rich. That's what I was looking for.Even thought we have never meet in person before I've read enough of both of your posts to respect your opinions. Needless to say I think I'll just walk away from it.

Back