Does anyone recognize these wires?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Moore

Reaction score
I removed the cowling from my 2005 Mercury 150 XR6 to troubleshoot another issue and when I went to replace it noticed these two wires. I'm guessing they should be connected based on their position and that maybe I snagged them when I removed the cover. However, they are very slightly different colors and I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere. They closest I could find said that a brown wire went to a "trigger" which I don't know what that is.
2005 Mercury 150 XR6.jpg

what was the issue that had you look under the cowling? As for the wiring, you'd need an Mercury OEM Service Manual, best money you'll ever spend. It'll be specific to your serial number range (Mercury doesn't go by year - serial #'s as some motors could have different components during a production year). Go here http://www.europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html
create a login, login input your motor's serial number and it'll be under Service/Support or Miscellaneous. It'll have wiring diagrams for your motor.

I doubt that you hung the cowling, as those plugs are not that easy to come apart or you were really ROUGH taking it off (you'd know you definitely hung something). Those leads are sometimes used for other sensors (like digital addon's) but you go look at any motor (including new ones) and you'll find leads disconnected, its not something to worry about until you get it verified what those wires are for. Brown is usually for a reference electrode for MerCathode System which you probably don't have. Look here for common wire colors on Mercury Outboards - its not a guarantee without a specific wiring diagram for your motor that the OEM Service Manual will give you. DON'T fall prey to other's offbeat service manuals - they are NOT THE SAME. Go go that site at European Marine and look for the specific one, its Not Generic like other non-certified mercury vendors sell.

Mercury Common Color Codes http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercwiringcodes.html

Latest posts

Back