Depth Finder not reading when on plane

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Westmoreland

Reaction score
I have a TXW 175 and a Lowrance HD Transducer. The problem is that when I am on plane, the sonar does not read. Once I come off plane and idle, it reads perfectly. The transducer is mounted on the same surface that the drain plug is. Is the location of the transducer my problem?

What is a Lowrance HD transducer, never heard of it?

If it is just the normal 2D torpedo shaped transom transducer:

Your should check the attitude of the bottom of the transducer in relation to the bottom of the hull. The transducer should be parallel with the hull bottom or slightly tilted down on the trailing end.

Next the whole bottom of transducer needs to be slightly below the hull bottom so water flowing off the hull will also flow across the transducer without creating cavitation.

The installation instructions state that the mid point of the transducer thickness should be at the hull bottom level. That will create a somewhat roostertail that some don't like.

http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Manuals/Skimmer_xdcr_0147-582_041703.pdf

I have a Lowrance HD unit. I mistakenly said HD transducer. It is a regular torpedo shaped transducer. I will check the link you posted, thanks.

With some boat configurations, water flowing off the hull will disrupt the transducer. For it to read the transducer must be sitting in smooth, flowing water. If there are any air bubbles, the transducer won't read. As mentioned, placement is important too. The mid-line of the Skimmer transducer needs to be below the hull. But in some cases, with some boat hulls, it just won't ever work at certain speeds. That's why most people go with a shoot through the hull type but with an aluminum boat that isn't an option.

NoCAL

A shoot-thru IS an option if you want it. Do web search for "Alumaducer".

I use one in my Tracker hull connected to a Eagle unit and did have a Lowrance hooked to it when I first set up the boat.

Latest posts

Back