Daughter makes the Team!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
Some of you may remember a few months ago I posted about the new Illinois high school bass fishing sport that is being run for the first time this year. They planned for about 100 schools to sign-up, but ended up with over 200 across the state.

After a month or so of dry practices and skills tests my 16 yer old daughter has been selected for the final team of 6. They started with 20 and whittled it down to the final 6 over the past few weeks. Each school can have 2 boats with 3 fishermen assigned to each boat with any 2 fishing at a time. The coach drives the boat and an also operate the trolling motor if they want to. Sectionals are in three weeks on 18 different lakes and then the qualifying teams will fish for the state title in early May. The sectional tournament is on the lake literally in our backyard, so we will be spending as much time as possible on the water between now/then.

She was the only female to try out and thought it was funny the first night when the coach was reviewing everyones tackleboxes and rod/reels. When he came to my daughter's he looked down at her baitcaster rod/reel and asked if she knew how to use it. Her response was why would she bring it if she did not know how to use it(said with a smile). They have learned alot and now begin the wet portion of class. She has already come home to let me know that her 6' rod is not long enough for flipping/pitching so she will need a newer longer one. We are off to BPS/Cabelas/Gander this weekend for a few congradulatory items to complete her set-up.

It will be interestig how many other females will participate.

Teri C: I showed her your posting from your recent tourney to show her how far she can go if she wants to continue to work and have with it.

Mine quit fishing with me when she discovered she'd rather be a "girly girl" your very lucky. Maybe my future son in law will like to fish.

fatrap

Fan-fun-tastic. Keep us posted on how she does and let her know we are all pulling for her. This place is a great resource so use it!! If I can be of any help just let me know.

TOXIC

Awesome... Our local High School is competing (Larkin, Elgin, IL)... My 22 yr old "very" girly girl (professional dancer, Pro Sports Teams Schaumburg Flyers and Chicago Storm) is jealous that this didn't start until after she finished.

That is so awesome. I really wish they had that when I was in high school. I also wish I would have had a dad that would take me fishing. The only time I got to go was with my Grandpa. I didn't learn to throw a baitcaster until I found this board seems like 5-6 years ago. I still have alot to learn like flipping and pitching accurately. Maybe she could teach me a thing or two. :D

Keep us posted on how she does.

That's awesome news "Stream....tell her congrats!!;)

Teri,...We'll spend a few hours "flippin' and Pitchin'" when you're up here in May,...I love doing that for greenies back in canals. We'll jerk a few toad smallies in the morning, and then we can duck back in a canal and I'll give you some pointers....it's easy to learn!!;)

Congrats to your daughter. Wish they had that here in Indiana!

Make sure to let us know how she is doing!

Randy!

Latest posts

Back