Construction of NX and LX series Nitros

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Bell2

Reaction score
Guys,

Got a question for you. My brother n law builds boats and restores older boats ( Big ones 50 to 100 foot class ) He has always told me that wood is not nessecarly a bad thing in a boat ( transom, deck, ect ) May I have some input from the board on your Nitros ( non 9 series ). as to your experience with your boats, gelcoat, fiberglass, deck, transom quality or issues. Also are any preventative items I should take care to ensure or limit any problems down the road.

thanks

brian

Wood is good as long as it is glassed in properly. Only time you could run into problems is when they drill through the wood. Motor Thru bolts seat pedestals on decks. Always important to use lots of silicone when drilling into the deck of a boat with a wooden deck.

So, If I am hearing you correctly.. With my 04 NX750, I should not worry about the wood transom or floors. Is this correct. Just asking, my last several boats did not have any wood in them. I was just currious as to your experience with Nitro construction on 04 models. Especialy since I heard that a bunch of folks from Champion are now with Nitro.

I don't buy the notion that wood in a boat is bad. For hundreds of years, sailing ships were made out of wood. The more important question to ask is "How well am I going to take care of this boat?" I'll bet that 90% of structural failures or problems on a boat are owner-related, not materials-related.

If stuff gets wet, dry it out. If a boat's going to be parked in the sun alot, put a cover over it. If the waves are rolling four feet, don't go slamming the boat WOT through them.

Take the wood out and you have to replace it either with fiberglass, resin and gel coat (which can crack), or with metal (which can bend or have welds/rivets break). You just trade one potential problem for another.

Just my opinion.

I don't buy it either Mo..My buds Deep V16 is a 90' and he don't have any rot..depends on if it's outside and gettin' weathered all the time.

TEE

Thanks guys.. I am gonna be keeping it in the garage. So weather will not be a factor..

Cant wait to get it.. Hopefully sometime next week.

Pat, I'm gonna disagree with you on this. It depends *what kind* of resin. If it's an epoxy or vinylester resin, it's not pourous. If it's a polyester (and other types) resin, then it is pourous.

Brian, I can tell you that on my 1999 700LX, there is exterior grade plywood in various parts of the boat that is inadequately protected. If it was in the water and/or exposed to the elements all the time, it would be a problem. The way I use the boat, it's not an issue.

Rich, you mean you don't use your boat in the water or outside?LOL What do ya do? Sit in it in the garage and make those vrooom-vroom sounds......JK--

TOXIC

On the two boats I've owned, whenever I removed and reinstalled screws or added additional screws that went through wood, I would coat the threads in silicone in an attempt to more completely seal out moisture. I saw no indications that any such precautions had been taken by the factory.....

Hey, TOX..... I've ridden with him when he makes those vrooom-vroom sounds..... He can really make that 115 purr! Never spears a wake either! LOL!!

TOX, what I meant was, the exposed would is in areas of the boat that don't get wet with casual use (and covered when not in use). If I fished tough conditions, I'd be more concerned.

Latest posts

Back