Connecticut River - Barton's Cove

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Hi

My son and I went to the Connecticut River yesterday. We launched at Barton's Cove in Mass. What an awesome river! The countryside, solitude, and all of that were phenomenal. Most of all, it looks like an awesome fishery.

The only depressing part was it took me this long to discover it and its only an hour from my house.

So I had a few questions regarding the river for locations north of Barton's Cove ...

1. How far North can you run safely?

2. Any specific fishing hot spots? We caught some small mouth yesterday. I understand that there are also Large Mouth and Northern Pike in the river.

3. In general, for fishing a large river like this, what are some common patterns and locations for finding fish?

Thanks,

Paul

I've fishing that part of the river a few times. You can travel pretty far north from there, but I've only been maybe 5 miles or so. I've had most of my better fish off of submerged wood and current breaks behind bridge pilings using senkos and skirted grubs with 1/8 to 1/4 oz weights. Never caught a fish over 3 lbs though. The river is quite dangerous so be careful getting around.

Good luck,

Reno

Thanks Reno.

We ran north of Mass into VT/NH (probably 10 - 15 miles) and it was a clear run. Shallowest I noticed was 7 or 8 feet ... just some floating debris in VT. I was wondering how the river looked the farther you traveled north.

Hi Craig,

We definitely were not in VT. After lookng at a map more closely, the river does not cross into VT until Vernon, VT. I had originally thought the river was split by the VT/NH border starting at MA. Is the dam you mentioned at Vernon, VT?

I'm pretty sure I noticed the rock at the King Phillips Bridge. It was clearly sticking above the water in te middle of the river .. right? Is the King Phillips Bridge the rt 10 bridge?

We had passed the 4 cement bridge abutments whose bridge was no longer in place. Is this still MA or is it NH?

You mentioned be careful after the Rt 10 bridge. Are there any type of hazards in general ... rocks, shallow, ...?

Thanks!

Anyone else with more info on CT river in northern MA?

Thanks

Paul

Paul-

When you passed the 4 bridge abutments you entered into NH (or close to it). From my days fishing tournaments there we had to obtain both a NH and Vermont license to fish that far north. I don't know if that is still true today.

People in our club would travel up there for smallies and usually come back with a good bag at the end of the day.

I haven't been there in a couple years, wouldn't mind getting back out in fall and trying north again.

I know you can catch bags of fish like this on there on the right day. i got all these around the island that people camp on. I fish every laydown and boulder that broke the current. thats where the smallies will be is in the current breaks. All these fish were caught on a jig. As far as running it the chanel is well defined for the most part, i have only run as far north as the first train track bridge, at that point NH isnt very far away. I would just make sure you dont go inside the bouy's that mark the eagles nest area.
bartons43.jpg

Latest posts

Back