Christmas in MI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Murray

Reaction score
I have been forced to leave the warmer climes of TX and travel to the great white North to spend Christmas with my family. Arriving on the evening of the 23rd and departing on the morning of the 26th. Will be staying at my grandmother's house in Sterling Heights.

Any of you Michigander's gonna be around on Christmas eve for lunch, or possibly pre-Christmas cocktails that night?

Is Neeley working that day? Might have to come by the store and finish (or start) my Christmas shopping!

Adam,

I may be heading to Tennesee to visit my bro and his family the same days. Try to get in on the weekend. We can tip a few then for sure.

Mini

Mini...not a bad idea, except that is THE best weekend to slam HUGE crappie on Fork. I'll watch the weather, though, and if it looks too bad I'll change my flight.

Buzz...that's a great question! With all these new BPS stores opening, maybe we should apply for Ken's position. I'm perfectly qualified to surf the web, fish the tank, take vacation, watch Marke break his back and count my $$$.

You do live below the scum line.....especially in that 519! lol

Mini

No problem....I can handle it BIGDOG.....dont think I will be spinning and ralphing at the Mac House...lol

That is one story I have never told about you....and I wont!

Mini

not the whole story...lol

That I will take to my grave, or to Mac's first celebrity roast!

Mini

lol,....I'm workin' on your eulogy now Mini!!! LOL

i think you slipped me a Mickey,.....or you tried out a new mixer on me before your next weekend fling!! ahaha...DAWG!!

Yea right...you know if I did it on purpose the pictures would be on this site...lol

Mini

hahahah.....I'm deffinetely fixin' your drinks saturday!!

you might wanna bring a bib! lol

You bring the wings, (40 HOT...40 MED)....I'll supply the jack-n-cokes, the bibs and a place for you to crash!!!

Yeah, he'll make you a nice clean spot there on the floor next the toilet the dog drinks from. Be sure to smile for the spy camera Mini!

Yeah, but I NOW know why that is! LOL He's my hero!!!!

Settle down you two...your ruining my reputation as a nice guy!

Mini

But you ARE a nice guy. Nice is such a relative term though when you think about it.....LOL Really depends on who you ask, and what they mean by NICE.......besides Mini, I didn't know you had a reputation?

Rob,

Just go to your local HOOTERS and ask any waitress in the place. That'll show you just how large his "Reputation" is....LOL

Oh boy it's getting thick in here.....lol

Well you are right about nice being relative. I have a good story....local guys read it close, you might learn something....lol

About 6 or 7 years ago I used to fish an area in the opening day tournament that you wouldnt believe. Smallmouth averaging 4 pounds on Zara Spooks, Pop-R's, spinner baits, soft and hard jerkbaits and tubes....it all depended on what the fish wanted and the current conditions. Almost every cast (if you had the fish nailed down)....if it was calm you were actually hunting them with the trolling motor on a channel break that topped out into a flat at the opening of a bay that the fish spawn in. Well as the fish move out of the spawning bay they stage on this flat and gorge themselves on spottail shiners that are scattered on the flat near the edge of the channel.

The birds are the key, you would see gulls and King Fishers (at least thats what I think they are, I call em divebombers) hovering over a school of spottails that the smallies had corralled into a huge ball. A fish would bust just as the bird was about to hit the water. Well sure as the sun was coming up you throw that Spook in there and wham.....as long as you land the fish, and no one runs over the flat you can catch em like that for an hour or two. One year my partner and I (team tourney) traded the net for an hour....I had to make him stop fishing because we could not keep up culling fish....

Well after I figured all this out (it took a few years) we proceed to milk this spot. Winning the opening day tournament on Clair 3 out of 4 years, and coming in second one year. People started finding out where we were.....if you fish St Clair or any body of water that has tournaments you know how that goes...guys start moving in....it stinks, but what can you do?

So in 99 this other team shows up and are hawking us....moving in on us from a half mile away....watching us just lambaste the smallies. One right after another as their trolling motor is on high and they are frantically retying. They ended up almost bumping rub rails with us that day. Needless to say I wasnt the happiest Italian on the lake that fine morning. Believe me I had a few choice words for my fellow competitors. :)

At the weigh in I was approached by the boat owner. Mind you I was standing with the GM of the newly opened BPS Detroit and had the winning bag of fish that day (just under 28 pounds for 8 fish). This guy comes up and shakes my hand, congratulates me for winning (I think they ended up in third or fourth off the same fish), looks me dead in the eye and says "You are alot nicer guy on land than you are on the water".....I quickly glanced at the GM of BPS and then looked directly in the boat owners eyes, squeezed his hand ever so "slightly" and said with my nicest smile and demeanor...."Thats because I should have never seen you on the water! Or should I ever again!".

That was a classic moment..... We have actually become friendly becasue I havent seen him there (or just about anywhere else I like to fish). but I have seen almost everybody else...especially since it was televised on the 2001 FLW tournament (you can spot me on the tape hamming it up for the camera man while Larry "Mr St Clair" Nixon is hammering fish).

That year there was over $450,000 dollars won in that area by about 10 different Pro's. Four or five of the top ten started there (or came there shortly after) in the morning on Friday. I had to watch it all unfold from my friends boat for four days as I was on the waiting list and didnt get in (way down, 74th or something).

On the final day (2 of the top 5 started in the area), Saturday, I was actually ribbing Larry Nixon while we were on the water about catching all my fish....I told him he had to stop when he had 18 pounds in the box because I had a tournament on Sunday! He got a chuckle about it, and even caught a few more that didnt<

I hear you. My tires USED to be that way too! LOL I'm already leary about what the FLW did last year. They pulled hundreds of bedded smallies off my flat. I have a very similar flat, ask Marke. All day long, we sight fish them even before they're on beds. They school up. It's hot from April until July. Well, 30 or so of the best pros beat the snot out of it, and those fish won't be there next year. Wonder how it will impact my guide season. I'm just wondering how long it will take for my last real $$$ honey hole to get found. The one I brought Buzz too. Couldn't you have the guy DQ's for getting so close. I would have if it were possible. I can't stand guys that can't find their own fish.

Yes I guess I could have DQ'd them, but I would have had to throw anchor and pull the trolling motor. But if I did that, I wouldnt be able to keep up with the schooling bait and the fish with the trolling motor.

Besides, industry trends and attitudes are getting away from that practice. BASS just removed the anchor rule.....and that carries down to all the tournaments that use the BASS model as blanket rules....

Remember Rob....READ THE RULES, KNOW THE RULES!!!! Lol....I think he is getting the message.

Always keep some good areas to yourself Rob. If I could have I would have kept that area to myself, but the cat was getting out anyway, so I gave the farm away to a fellow Pro Staff guy. SOMEDAY (chuckle) it will pay dividends.

Mini

PS Mac.....I might as well get 50 of each flavor....it is only like a buck more ea. Instead of 4 20 wing orders I will get two 50 wing orders. I am sure they wont go to waste....besides we can decorate Joe D's car with the leftovers.....LOL

I KNOW THE RULES!!!! Now take off your mitten and slap your own forehead! LOL As of yesterday they hadn't lifted the anchor rule. It was still in affect, but they pro's wanted it lifted. OK, so I'm not up until all hours of the night reading the rules as they unfold! Sue me! LOL Plus you didn't indicate that the tourney you were in was a B.A.S.S. tourney. Could have been a local annual tourney for all I know. In the local clubs around here, doesn't matter if you're anchored or not, somebody comes within 50 yards of you fishing and they can get DQ'd. Now pass me some extra crispy, extra hot, you have a cup of expresso, a nircorette patch, marlboro, no doze pill and RELAX! LOL Man, something tells me when I come out there, that since you are obviously WORSE than Man and Ken, I will need to sleep with one eye open!

No when and if I sleep it is like a bear....and sounds like one too....

The tournament we were in, as do most opens on Clair, use the BASS rules unless specified. Besides that IF common courtesy was still around in this day and age, we wouldnt have a problem with stuff like that. Unfortunately, with the money that is being made and the annual influx of new "wannabes" we do have confrontations at all levels.

I rubbed all the hair off my forehead as a kid from too much slapping in Geography class Rob.....lol

Cut and Pasted from BassFan.com:

"Other rule changes run by the Council include:

> Doing away with nets, no doubt because of Ray Scott's influence

> Implementing a "no-information" rule, which the anglers want, for the 30-day off-limits

> Doing away with the anchor rule, where boats must stay 50 yards away from an angler who has his anchor in the water. Apparently pros use it more to keep other anglers from fishing an area than for anything else."

Mini

Yeah, the council proposed them, but B.A.S.S. hasn't finalized the rules yet, so it isn't determined that they have been accepted. SOOOOO, I assume it's still in affect. Even if it's not, it WAS during your tourney!!! Ha! And by the sounds of what Mac's planning of feeding you this weekend both food and drink, you'll be sleeping like a hybernating bear......for weeks! And what's with this, no net, OK yes nets, well now...no nets again? I wish they would make up their minds on this. As a kid, I never used a net bass fishing because I wanted to be a pro and back then nets were not allowed. So I figured if I ever wanted to be pro I had to learn to land like they did and adpoted flipping my fish in. I actually got better at that than netting, I would lose fish in the time I would wait to wear them out and get them in the net. With flipping, they could come off if they wanted, they were already in the bottom of the boat. Then they said OK, nets are allowed. I get me a nice rubber tourney net, now you CAN'T use them again? You sure my wife isn't involved in this rule process????

LOL.....There is still a woman in charge of BASS isnt there? Or did Helen Sevier leave when ESPN took over? Mac???

Mini

"Now how can I POSSIBLY be the Man???.........hahaha

(another Classic line from the Miniman)..

I hope I actually get some fishing done when I come out there. Remember guys, it's hard to focus and fish hard with a severe hangover! But I hear Mini does fine!!!

There's a time and a place for everything....we won't party here till the work is DONE!!...We'll find you some decent fish,.....show you the aquatic "hood",.....then when you're ready to rumble....we'll par-tay,...work first,...play later

"Dat's one of the RULES!!!"...LOL

Some times it helps....just kidding it never helps. The boat rides on a Saturday afternoon alone w/o a hangover are enogh to cause brain damage.

Wait till you get to Clair Rob...I am going to make you drive in the worst water you have ever seen on a day when there is no wind.

Then on Sunday we are going to go under the Ambassador Bridge...aka the miracle mile.....you are going to wish you never came to these parts and you WILL feel like kissing the ground at the ramp once you get back....LOL

Mini

no doubt,...when Shaw Grigsby turned the wheel over to a "local guy" to drive the miracle mile the 1st time he ever saw it,.....i can't wait to see Rob's reaction!! LOL

"Worst water you've ever seen" is everyday there,.....you better hope and pray it's not a beautiful sunny day,..then the yachts and tuna boats come out and make it REAALLY fun!!

(Mini,......20bux says he spews!!)...LOL

Youre on....I think he will pass out....but remember I am going to make him drive!

Mini

Mini,

Let Rob drive Mac's boat on the Monster Mile....we'll see how tough those Rangers really are!!!

Don't even go there Neeley!!!....LOL...You don't EVEN wanna know what that trip does to a,...well...never mind!!!ahah

Oh believe me, I know....I've fixed, replaced, duct-taped and superglued plenty of victims from that stretch of water!!!

Give me a break. Spew, I doubt it. I have rocked and rolled in 4-5 footers all day and do just fine boys. Not to say my back won't put a hurtin on me. I've run the ST Lawrence too with barges and yachts putting 6 foot rogue rollers out of nowhere. You're merrily flying along, watching the graph and shoreline when suddenly out of nowhere, too close to slow down or avoid, a 6 foot wake, AAAAAANNNND you're airborn! It's not the jump that hurts, it's the landing that usually does all the damage! Marke, do me a favor and check out this "miracle mile" and let me know how much worse it is than the ride I took you on at the rally. And that was by no means the worst I've been in. But if I get to run in Mini's Skeeter, guess I'll find out quick what kind of rough water ride it has. Why is this miracle mile just boat traffic gone nuts? Bouncing off the banks coming back over itself, cross chop etc. I'm sure you guys get nasty water, but please don't assume I haven't seen it here too. I've been on the lake on days when I called my wife to tell her I love her, because I honestly did not think I was making it back to the ramp.

Rob,.......the saturday of the rally with the 4 footers....

that was paradise compared to the Miracle Mile.....it pails in comparison!!!....You have NO IDEA what it's like and you have no experience with anything like it!! THAT, I promise you, and until you experience it, when it's true to form..all the "been there's, done that's" that you can muster are all just,..wishful thinking!!! You will be a changed Man when you experience that and you will laugh at the ripples that Champlain throws at you.........you will just have to wait and see......

The best part is the morning.....it'll be flat calm and you can run that stretch at 70mph if you want to......by noon on the same day,....you will either find religion on your way back, or you won't make it back!!! Thus the name..."If you make it back.....it's a MIRACLE!"..lol

So what's the deal? Wind funnel or narrow with lots of big boat traffic? Is it out in the open lake. I can see nasty water out there. Why would you run your boat thru it? If it's worse than 5 foot waves, it's not worth risking destroying your boat or getting someone hurt or drowned. Not even in a tourney. I just stick closer to the ramp and fish harder for a good limit. Now if I had a 522 DVX with a 250 XB and it was free.....maybe I'd think about it.

It's a one mile stretch between the Ambassador Bridge and Belle Isle,....seawalled on both sides (US & Canada)...1/2mile wide and a main bottle neck between Erie and 'clair...it's the only place for EVERY great lakes freighter and yacht going north or south to travel through!

I have been in there when there's 6-8ft waves 10feet apart and coming at you from side to side and front to back...there is no cadence to them.....it is absolutely brutal..and like NOTHING you've ever experienced!!! It can be terrifying to say the least!! Kiss your wife goodbye BEFORE you leave to come here,....cuz you won't be able to use the cell phone,..you'll be hanging on too tight!!! LOL

You'll see grasshoppa.....

Mac

Rob,

The Ambassador Bridge is the narrowest section of flowing water on the Detroit River. ALL of the water from St. Clair flows under that bridge in a bout 7 days (the lake replenishes itself with fresh water from Lake Huron on the average of 7 days, depending on the wind it can be 3 days or 30).

The boat traffic (more boats registered on the Detroit River, Lake St Clair and the St Clair River than any other body of water in the world) comibined with the barges and freighters wakes (MAJOR shipping on the Great Lakes), the narrowest section of the river with the seawalls sending all that water back to the middle make for a hell ride when it is a sunny day. When its not sunny you can reducee the pleasure boaters and it isnt AS bad, but still brutal. If the wind comes from the right direction you will not want to cross at a speed faster than keeping the nose of the boat high enough to crest the next wave, hoping they dont break over the side or rear....AND it still hurts landing! It turns into a bathtub of omni directional waves that can top 10 feet. No rhyme or reason to the waves, they come at you from all sides....

Ya know, that isnt even the worst spot....the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron is worse.....narrower and faster current. Not as much boat traffic, but when you have a lake as big as Lake Huron dumping into a "small" river like the St Clair River at about 7-14 mph worth of current.....it gets nasty real quick.

You will see soon enough....I hope for your sake it isnt that bad....the Pro circuits are usually blessed with good weather as they schedule them at the right times.

Mini

You can't tell me then that ANYONE knows how to run that stuff. You just take it as it comes with the bilge on and try to stay as dry as possible. I've been in that stuff with 6 footers, but never 8. 8 foot waves swallow boats! LOL But hey, if we're running your 519 or Mini's ZX.....let's go! Better be some fish on the back side of it is all I have to say. I hate getting the snot pounded out of me and getting soaked only to find the fish were biting better back at the ramp!

Your right....NO ONE can run that unless you have better than 40 feet of hull under you. AND its gonna be bad.....

But its the "good" days you "think" you can squeeze a few more MPH out of her cause your late coming back that kills you!

Mini

I'll vouch for what the kid's are saying! LSC WILL make you come to Jesus. I've run the river in the AM chasing fish, only to come back witnessing the most horrific, unpredictable wave sets I've ever seen in my life.

Make sure you relieve yourself BEFORE cranking the big motor! The constant, hard pounding will truly knock the piss out of you!

Rob,

I will never ever ever run the monster mile. You are on your own my friend. You are right though, that place literally SWALLOWS boats. Since I've been here I've heard stories of swells opening up, the boat goes down and waves coming from BOTH sides come crashing on top. All you can do is hang on and pray that you pop back up.

If I check out the monster mile it'll be from the sea wall with a video camera and I'll mail you the tape. When I want fish Erie, I'll tow my boat to Ohio and launch there.

Marke

Marke,...one time a few years ago in a club tournament, a buddy in a Ranger with a 225 and me in my 2000 dcx w/a 200

ran from the Clinton River to Fighting Island (approx 50 miles) and we ran side by side at 65mph the whole way!!

there was about a 1ft chop on the main lake and the Miracle Mile was flat calm all the way from Belle Isle to Fighting Island......it was the coolest trip I've ever run....if anybody up in the RenCen would've been looking down on the river,..it would've been awesome to see us running like that 20ft apart,....side by side,...for 50 miles...i would've given anything to have that on tape!! Man that was a fun ride!! We'd take the lead on eachother by no more than a boat length and it was back and forth like that the whole trip....we got down there,...pulled up on our spot,..shut the motor off and my partner and I looked at each other and said,.."MAN!!...That Rocked!!!!"...ahaha

The ride back was a totally different story,....the freighters and tuna boats were out in full force...the MM was at it's worst!!!!...5-7ftrs (maybe higher, but who's counting??!!) coming at us from every direction...took us over an hour just to go the one mile!! LOL..I can't wait for Rob to get here!!!

Mac

lol.......Adam's right on......the Miracle Mile will help you find religion real fast,.....or you'll just become another piece of structure to fish on our way down to Erie!

LOL

OK so WHY would anyone risk thier littlebittybassboat in that place? I like Marke's idea just trailer around it. OK I know if you are in a T you have no choice but to stay on the water.

WOW, not someplace I want to go in ANYONE's boat! So would a 21ft Tundra or other DeepV walleye style boat do better??

The Tundra would do well. There are more and more "walleye" bots showing up in tournaments around these parts because our water is so big. But you just cannot get into some of the same areas during the spring TX's and there is not nearly as much storage.

Marke, I was going to take you there for your "Toad Hunting" trip...lol

Why would you ever put yourself and your equiptment through that? Have you ever caught a 6 pound smallmouth in a tournament? The lure of BIG smallmouth, money and bragging rights arew enough to make grown men and women do some pretty silly things.

Mini

Granted, it's not THAT BAD,...all of the time.....as i mentioned earlier,,,there's times when you can run that stretch wide open!!! It's only on sunny, windy days when the BIG boat traffic is heavy, that will make the Freighter Capt's put their seat belts on! lol....

I'll stay down here where the worst we get on Lanier is 4-5 foot rollers from the 30-40ft cruisers and cigarette boats! Oh, and when they come out in the summer I go home or stay in the creek channels! 17ft 3inches is not big enough to go wave jumping in my book!!

Latest posts

Back