Catfish in Lake Anna?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G8rmac

Reaction score
I have heard that Lake Anna has a good population of channel cats. Anyone here target them? I can find cats in the Potomac, but most of the advisories say not to eat them from there. I'd like to find some that I could introduce to the hot-oil treatment!

There plenty of cats in Anna. Nothing the size of the cats in the Potomac but some in the 8-10 pound class. I have found them at or near the mine shaft near the dam in 90+ feet of water and along the western side of the rock bluffs below the 208 bridge. Unlike the cats in the Potomac these are edible. Yum yum

I've caught quite a few of the smaller ones. Like Bill, I've found them delish! Another place you may want to consider trying is the Occoquan Reservoir. Should be clean as its the freshwater drinking supply for Fairfax County!! I've taken my best cat ever out of there at a whopping 27 pounds - on medium light tackle to boot (yes, there are pictures!). Didn't eat that one as it would have been a bit tough and muddy tasting.

Jim,

Send me the 27, I can use it for bait here in the Potomac!:lol::lol::lol:

Here is a 56...

Mike11-10-08cropped.jpg

Come on over to some of our weigh-in's at Ft. Washington this winter and you can see a bunch of fish being weighed over 40.

Mike - We can eat ours. After catching those Potcats I wouldn't even put my fingers near my mouth and certainly get someone to hold it for you when you take a leak. LOL

These are not for eating.

They are for some drag pulling during the winter, a few tournaments, and it's better than sitting home on the couch. Besides they keep the DC homeless folks from floating downstream!!!:lol::lol::lol: And after 10 citations, it gave me another Master Angler certificate from VA to go with my largemouth one.:cool:

Scott,

We fish upstream from Blue Plains for the citation fish. But there are quite a few large ones south that the tourists fish for.

You eat nothing out of the Potomac less some migrating saltwater rockfish in the fall.

Mike,

That is beauty to an old Mississippi River fisherman....:)

Back