Can You Help Me Identify This Part (Pic)?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Ramberger

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this black box in the center of the picture is. It's a 1997 Nitro 205sf

CIMG6012.JPG

I don't know but after some research, tt may be 'combiner' that charges the trolling battery when the main engine is running?

Can anyone tell me if this is part of the trolling motor system? THe trolling motor is a Tracker (Motorguide) beater from the factory.

Now I am suspecting it might be some old battery charger that ran off the cranking battery. If it's not related to the trolling system I want to remove it.

Two 12 gauge leads from this go to my starting battery, then it has what look like 14 or 16 gauge leads going to the trolling batterys.

Also, one of the heavy gauge negative cables goes from a trolling battery to this box, then out of the box (seen in pic) to the 4 way plug. That's why I thought it's part of the trolling system.

There is also a purple wire going up toward the fuse block.

ND Bass - I have researched the web till my fingers bled. Any ideas on how I can determine if it is indeed one of these chargers. There are no labels left.

Has anyone seen one of these as part of a motorguide trolling motor system circa 1977?

Looks like an original Phase Charging system meant to charge the t/m batteries off the main engine. The purple wire is to power it up.

Pettymsj - are you certain? If so can I simply remove it and reconnect the trolling motor negative cable back to the battery?

Yep as long as someone hasn't spliced it into the t/m wires, shouldn't be a problem. It should have one set of leads going to the cranking battery, another set running to t/m battery, and a purple wire hooked to the ignition key on wire (purple). Sometimes with these systems you will find a common ground wire run from the neg on the cranking battery to the neg post on the t/m battery and it can be removed as well.

Removed it, battery compartment is much cleaner. three bank charger was my plan. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back