Buying a hand gun

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
I'm travelling over in the west coast next year primarily in Cali, Nevada and AZ.

I have no idea what the laws are or restrictions but as a visitor from outside of the states, could I buy and carry a handgun?

As a retired cop, I can tell you laws vary in large ways from certain areas of some states. CA is where you will have the most trouble being legal. AZ is where you will have the least trouble. Maybe check NRA website and look for reciprosity laws and find out which states/counties/cities honor right-to-carry from othere cities, states etc. If you get cross-wise of strict laws in some places (LA), you can pretty much kiss your firearm good-bye.

Not likely you would be able to purchase and carry a handgun in US without being a resident. Arizona is the least restrictive state of your choices. See the link below, you would need "proof of exception status".

Get a nice hardwood walking stick or cane with metal end caps and stay out of sketchy areas. And try not to dress like a freakin' tourist!! :lol:
http://www.azccw.com/purchasingfirearminarizona.htm

You would have to have resided in one residence for 90 days and have proof of such. That would make you a resident Alien. Utility bills, water gas etc are proof. Also a valid drivers license/ID from your resident state. Then you'd have to apply for a permit to acquire a pistol/revolver from your local sheriff's office or go directly for a permit to carry a concealed weapons class. A CCW (concealed Carry Weapon) class most states requiring a firing and qualifying with the weapon. Having this done you can apply for a non resident CCW. Some states such as Utah offer them and make you legal to carry in approximately 32 states.

If you get the Acquire permit then you can buy a handgun in the state your approved in, some states only allow you to buy rifles and shotguns, so you'd have to check the state. Lacking a CCW you can carry a gun legally in any state providing you are transporting it in accordance with the state laws for transporting firearms. The goofy states are the ones that don't follow the constution of the United States and illegally operate under their own gun laws. Illnois, California, and New York are such corupt and dispicable states.

I have sold firearms to Canadian's, Mexicans, Austrailian's,even a Syrian but all were resident Aliens and quailfied under the above mentioned requirements. I can't remember if any of them were handguns. I hope this helps.

fatrap

PS I worked the gun counter at Bass Pro Shops for 7 years.

Thanks guys,

You've certainly answered my questions, over here you can't even buy a .22 rifle or even an air rifle without major issues, never a hand gun. Our gun laws are really strict.

The intent and it was only really a thought at the time was to grab some cheap arse thing, throw it in the RV simply for if we decide to camp anywhere thats not's a mainstream park.

And BobG , does that mean I can't wear my Crocodile Dundee hat and vest and bring my kangaroo on his leash?;)

If you already had a handgun, you could bring it into CA but you could not carry it. In an RV it would have to be in a locked area seperate from the ammo. You are not allowed to purchase any handgun if not a resident of the state. I have MANY types of firearms that are legally acquired here in CA but I can't get a CCW permit. We have to show a clear and present danger/need to be issued one. Wanting to be protected when there is no clear danger means you can't get one.

NoCAL

thommo59 I can't help but feel sorry for Australians. Hand gunning is a big part of the firearms recreation that we enjoy. Lots of avenues for competition, plus just the enjoyment of going plinking. On a good month I put a couple hundred rounds "down range" from pistols to my high end tatical rifles. I live eight miles from my range and use it as much as possible. Hopefully things will turn around and you'll get your gun laws revised. That can't compensate for the millions of classic firearms that your country took from its citizens and destroyed.

Hopefully you can hook up with some guy guys while your having your walk about. You get to Iowa and I'll give you a range day you won't forget for a while.

fatrap:)

Thanks for the offer fatrap, I had my guns taken away a few years ago basically because I live in suburbia and couldn't produce a decent reason to hold a license. I did keep a really old single shot .22 Short rifle and a .177 air rifle but in a late night visit from the police, they were taken and threatened arrest, I had them registered but hadn't renewed my license so they came looking. The charge would have been unlicensed and not secured within a 3 lock safe, Could have gone for 6 months jail and $1500 in fines but I got a lucky break. Thats how our gun laws are.

I was there last year and only came oacross a couple of dodgy spots, walking some backstreets of LA was a tad interesting, then in Bannington, 2 guys started to harass me a little but funny enough my daughter jumped out of the RV, and scared the crap out of em and they backed away.

I did meet a gang member in Orange at The Block, pistol in his pocket and luckily enough, we just ahd a breif chat and all was good.

Can't wait to get back and this time do some fishing and meet the guys at BPS that sold me my Nitro.

The offer stands. Just remember IOWA not Idaho. I have high end tatical sniper rifles plus AR's sporters and a collection of military rifles spaning a century. Handguns?? Well I won't go into that. I worked for Bass Pro at the gun counter for seven years met many of your countrymen, chaps from the UK and even Ireland. You all and the UK gents were always my favorite. I'd stick Smith and Wesson model 500(google it) in one hand and a S&M 460 in the other and take they're pics with their cells so they could send them home. What a hoot!

Oz is on my visit list now that I'm retired hopefully that will happen. Too bad about the Greenies ruining your fun. Break into the wrong house around my neck of the woods and they'll be putting pennies on yer eyes :lol:

Cheers

fatrap

Holy crap Fatrap, you got some firepower there! In Australia, even slingshots are banned.

If you get to Australia, I'll take you aussie bass fishing, a little diffent than what your used to but awsome fun. Our Bass have gill rakers like razor blades and the spines and spikes have a coating that stings like a bee sting when they get ya, always funny watching a first timer get a handful of cuts and stings :D

Our bass are only on the east coast from Victoria up to about mid queensland, but the inland bass are only in a couple of dams that stock them. Ours only breed in salt and in easterly flowing rivers. They live mainly in fresh but spawn in salt, mostly born as males and sex change / mature at around 10 inches, so if a river is dammed, only below the dam wall will bass breed.

Be very careful about having a handgun in CA. That state is nuts when it comes to gun laws and law abiding citizens. Up until recently the first time you got busted for unlawful concealed carry (and that can include your RV or car unless it is properly locked up etc., essentially useless) it was a misdemeanor, now it's a felony. If a person ever needed to carry for personal defense it's in the Bay Area or LA, however only the bad guys can carry there. Shhheeeesh, sorry for the rant.

Good lord,

the Australians are such a great people,its a shame you guys cant own firearms,but even here in America,its a daily struggle to preserve our 2nd amendment rights,you will notice,in America,the places you most need a firearm for protection,are the places with the strictest gun laws,L.A.and New Jersey,N.Y.city.Chicago,in these liberal strongholds only the criminals are armed,law abiding citizens either cant own a pistol,or the process is prohibitive.

Latest posts

Back