Buy it?? 2004 Nitro 750 NX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Well, I may be coming back to the Nitro family.......never thought I would say that!!!!

Found a 2004 Nitro 750 NX with a 115hp Merc with a motor warranty until 6/2009, less than 40 hours on motor. Has a swing tongue, spare, am/fm/cd and speakers installed (listen to football on sundays), hot foot, trim on steering wheel, detachable ladder, custom cover, looks brand spanking new and he is driving it here next weekend from KY to ensure it fits in my garage before I hand over the money.

I can pick this one up for the same price as the 2001 Ranger with 90 Merc. The Ranger does have an additional fish finder up front and a GPS on the dash. Also has a wee-bit better trolling motor (I prefer Minnokota) thrust, 50 vs 42. Also looks brand new with less than 40 hours.

The NADA with the bigger motor (115hp instead of 90hp) is $10600. They were asking $12995. I offered $12000 because of condition, warranty and extras that come with it. They said no at first and then came back the next day at 12K. I still have the Triton so I don't think it's smart to buy one without selling the other. If I sell the Trtion before the end of the summer, I will be fine.

Now all you opinion givers...............would you call the Ranger guy up and say accept my offer or I am buying another one or would you just buy the Nitro?????

Teri - If its down to those 2 to me there is no question a 3 year newer boat with 2 years left on the motor warranty AND a bigger motor closer to the Max for that boat (nx750 was a 135 max boat). IF they both are in good condition and you plan to keep it for 2 years or so, i'd go with the Nitro and you'll love the stereo!

From what you said before, the Ranger guy probably won't move. However, if you really like it, then give it a try. I'm with Trep though, the other extra's on the Nitro (warranty, motor size, etc) give it an edge - IMHO.

Best of luck.

Tex

Do you think $12000 is too much? If it looks as good in person as it does the pictures, then it looks brand new.

I am very limited in the boats I can have that will fit in the garage. I've narrowed it down to a Ranger R61, Skeeter 170 SX (both only rated for 90hp and 3 people), and the Nitro 750. I think for the money the Nitro is bigger and better....if the quality of it holds up. I don't really want aluminum so those are my choices unless I move or remodel the garage and I don't want to do either.

If get one that fits in the garage, I plan on keeping it because I can't "upgrade" to too many other things. My old Nitro FS had a 115hp and I had no problems towing the kids/adults on a tube. I even skied behind it. I only do that every so often but I would like to be able to still do that without buying another boat for that. I can always use the jet ski too since it's 185hp. I sure won't miss my $160 per month boat slip payment. That's for sure!

....and I got them to pay for the warranty transfer of the boat and the motor. I think that was $100 each.

If it was my money id buy the Nitro, and not just because i own one. For one its 3 years newer, it has more storage and the warranty is nice. With all the extras listed id think 2k is worth it.

If it fits in your garage and is in as good a shape as the picts show then go for it. Dont forget to lake test it too.

I would buy the Nitro as well. I haven't been very happy with my Nitro (2004 700LX DC), but I made the beginners decision of not knowing what size boat/motor to buy. I just think you will be happier with the Nitro, and you can always add features if you want....GPS, ect. That extra 1/2 foot actually makes a lot of difference in my buddies boat (2004 750LX SC). Plus there were a lot more features of the 750 compared to the 700. I fish Norman and Buugs Island a lot and that 750 does pretty well in the chop. (NOT like a 20 footer, but NOT bad.)

Agree with Jim on the electronics, heck i've changed mine twice in 2 years already on my Nitro!!! And the electronics get CHEAPER every day, like PCS. Heck, today you can get a color GPS (antenna built in) with base maps Humminbird for $399 for the 383c or go up a bit in price to what I have on the Console the 787c2 (which is now like the 785c2) for only $549 and thats not on sale!!, which requires NO additional cabling/holes other then the mounting/transducer!!

If you're really thinking about a last ditch pitch to the Ranger guy, please do it before Monsieur Nitro hauls his boat up to test your garage fit. With the Nitro 750 you are going to want a more powerful trolling motor for sure. My Minn Kota [55] works too hard in breezy/windy conditions pulling my 750 around. The other electronics are relatively unimportant to me [staying off the bottom is my only goal] so that stuff is personal preferences. My 750 has had no problems resulting from poor quality build; it's still beautiful and ship shape. my prodding would be to tell Ranger Rick goodbye and buy the Nitro.

I would never inconvenience the gentleman who owns the Nitro. I am pretty sold on it, I just value other people's opinion on this site and wanted to reduce any second thoughts. I have a new 2 bank Guest charger from my buddy Bob G and I have $500 in Bass Pro cards so I can get a fish finder for the front and order a ski pole Nitro makes. I will probably upgrade the trolling motor at some point but use what it has until I sell my Triton. I am getting excited about the thought of having a boat in my garage that I can keep all my gear in and not have to unload it every time. It will be so much easier to hook up and go than it is now. No more going to the trailer lot, backing it in, go take the cover off, drive the boat over and load it. There are so many other lakes around here. Can't wait! I guess we'll see for sure when I actually see it next weekend.

The guy in NC will sell me the 05 750 with a 90hp for 10K but there were no extras and no warranty. I really wanted at least a 115hp.

Teri - sounds like the Nitro fits your needs and at the right price and age. To settle the second thoughts, give the Ranger guy one last shot and tell him your bottom line offer and say you've got another boat lined up that if he doesn't bite on YOUR price, then you'll go with the other. Then set a time frame (24 hours is pretty good!) and then stick to it.

Congrats either way as it sounds like both boats fit the bill!

Latest posts

Back