"Born On Dating"

• Thread starter Michael Ludwikowski
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it would be a good idea to add born on dates to fishing line spools.

Nothing ticks me off more than buying a spool that turns out to be brittle because it has been sitting in the back room of the sporting goods store from 2 years ago.

Is there an easy way to tell? My dad always used to tell me to look at the spool and if the line has a shine to it, it's OK, but if it's dull looking don't buy it.

But with some of the newer lines that are coming out, its hard to tell.

Lud

ChampioN176 posted a while back on how to read the dates on Berkley lines but it didn't mesh with the numbers that are on my boxes....I don't imagine that they want people knowing that as common knowledge, then retailers would have to rotate out their old stock and that would cost them $$. Best to just take your chances and store it in a cool dry area and out of direct sunlight.

TOXIC

I agree Lud! I am NOT for dating on things like Pop/Soda as i've opened 4-5 yearold coke's and they taste GREAT! Beer has a reasonable shelf life, MANY month longer then the breweries would let you believe.

But on Line, I agree, it would be REAL nice to know how old the line is and if it will break at the first sharp hook set. Of course the real issue is then marketing and inventory control. If Stren for instance had a born on date and said "don't buy more than 1 year old Stren" who eats the cost of product produced, shipped and stocked that is NOT purchased? Depends on the marketing agreements, it could be the manufacturer, the distributer or the retailer. BUT either way, cost of line WILL go up to cover someone's cost. Then there is the stocking/re-stocking costs for retailers to keep a tag on the line to make sure any over a year old are pulled from the shelves.

I'd like it but don't see the value to the manufacturer yet.

I think someone here(Trep?not sure) said it might be found somewhere on the scan code?:)

I have the same problem but, have found if I keep an eye on stocked items..I can better judge when fresh line comes in.

TEE

Last time I dated something I ended up with a wife. Nix on dating. Who's gonna enforce it and see who's lying about the dates.. Remember the meat in the grocery store scandal?

Fatrap

I have a born on Date on my Drivers permit...does that count?

T.S.

Pull from the back of the rack that should be the newer stuff if the stockers are doing there job right.

BF

Or you could do like I do and never catch anything and then it....

JUST

DOESN'T

MATTER!!

Harpo

Latest posts

Back