Boat Taxes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I got my tax bill for my boat and motor and was surprised to see that the taxes on the motor is almost twice the amount as it is on the boat.

...sounds 'bout right,..........2/3's of the price of a new boat is the motor!! :rolleyes:

You should see the personal property taxes on my truck! OUCH! Boat is not that bad relative to that....

Here we have personal property,wheel tax and excise tax plus the sales tax...They don't call Indiana the land of taxes for nutin....It's crazy...

Actually, my boat and motor taxes are more than my house taxes.....but don't tell my wife.

I love ND....Oil Money pouring in and $1.2B surplus in general fund. I'm not saying we don't pay taxes but having a surplus surely helps keep them down.

A LOT OF GUYS AROUND HERE IN GEORGIA NEVER REGISTER THEIR BOATS. THEY USE A CAR DEALER TAG AND I GUESS THEY DO THAT TO KEEP FROM PAYING THE TAXES. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE GETTING GRIEF ABOUT IT EITHER.

BY THE WAY I BOUGHT ME A TAG AND DO PAY THE TAXES, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT IS UNFAIR!JUST ANOTHER TAX ON FISHING.

BP

In SC you don't have a tag on the trailer but you have to register with DNR who in turn sends the info to the county and a tax bill magically appears in December just in time for Christmas. No fun stuff goes untaxed.

How much are you guys paying? I register mine in MN since I fish there. Registration for 3 yearss $40+/- ($13/yr) and no trailer registration becuase I live in ND and you don't have to register a trailer in ND.:p

We pay something like $20 a year in TN for boat registration and $28 for fishing and small game hunting. Taxes when you buy it of course, but taxing personal property sounds to me like a disincentive to own anything.

NDBass how does that work when you trailer your boat into a state that may require a plate on the trailer?

As far as taxes go here in Mass we dont have it too bad i guess on the boats. There is the initial sales tax when you buy it(6.25% now) and thats it on the boat and motor, there is no yearly tax on it. THere is registration every two years, its based on the boats size and my Z7 costs 60 bucks every two years. On the trailer we do have to register it yearly and its done by weight, mine costs about 80 bucks a year and there is also a yearly excise tax on the trailer but its cheap, mine is 5 bucks a year.

We do have plenty of other taxes, income, sales, real estate property taxes etc. Its just not that bad on boats thankfully, JimmyE's scenario of the boat taxes being more then the house would be crazy here in MA since where i live the average property tax on a house is ~6k a year.

JimmyE have you have a chance to run that Fury yet?

Jim, my trailblazer has ND plates and the trailer is a ND trailer so If I'm stopped, it'll wash out. The reason I choose register the boat in MN is because I only fish in MN and only carry a MN fishing license. The 'law' states you should register your boat in the state you use it so I go MN.

ND only has wind, snow and now oil :p

Latest posts

Back