Boat Stereo and Battery Life

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
If I'm just anchored and relaxing with the radio/CD playing, how long before I should worry about wearing the battery down?

Figure about a 3 to 5 amp draw at reasonable volumes. If you have a battery with a 100ah capacity, theoretically, a 5 amp draw would yield 20 hours of radio before the battery was completely dead, assuming the battery started at 100% charge.

BUT...if this is your starter battery, drawing more than 15 to 20% will probably shorten the battery life quite a bit.

With a healthy battery, I wouldn't worry about a few hours worth of use. If you use it longer, the battery will still start the boat, but you may sacrifice some of the battery's long term health.

Motor running = non issue. I listed to the radio for extended periods of time frequently. However, I put the starter battery on a charger as soon as I get back. My on-board is only 2 bank (trolling motor batteries), so I have to use an external charger for the starting battery. Fingers crossed this extends battery life.

Never have listened to mine....it interfers with the voices in my head.

fatrap:huh:

I wonder how long it takes running the engine to charge the battery back up? I'm sure there are several factors but is there a general rule of thumb? thanks again, Sean

I've played my stereo all night. Just start it every couple of hours and let it run a few minutes.

Hooked my sterio to one of my trolling batteries and fed through lighting relay energized by master switch. Power on wire left on cranking battery to save pre-sets on sterio. Have a 12/24 trolling motor so I used the 2nd (24) battery to power radio.

johnb

Latest posts

Back