Boat Buckle on 04 Bass Tracker PT185

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND Bass

Reaction score
All, I'm interested using boat buckles but having trouble figuring out how I'd mount them on the trailstar trailer. It seems to me if I mount them logically on the back of the trailer in place of the factory tie downs they'd be in the way when putting the boat on/off the trailer.

Anyone got pics of how they did it?

Thanks!

Good question...there's no room I know for sure and if you go down to the crossbar...it would be at too much of an angle.

Anyone?:unsure:

If your talking about the retractable kind I have them on my pt185. They have a Mounting Bracket Kit if you want, I personally didn't us it, when you unhook them the unit spins down out of the way. They bolt on easy. Hope this helps you.

I've put them on my PT175 as well. The buckles do look like they would get in the way, but remember that when you dunk the trailer, the trailer sinks and the boat floats (at least that's the way its supposed to work!). This gives you the extra clearance for loading and unloading. Also, if you don't crank the mountings really tight, the buckles can be pushed down on a pivot after unbuckling. Between those two factors, there's plenty of room. Mine worked great - never a problem.

The only thing I'd add to the above is to spend the money for the stainless boat buckles. I've had and seen a few of the freshwater (non SS) units freeze up and/or disintegrate the spring on the standard metal ones. ;)

Yep, Dan is 100000% spot on with the stainless ones. I had the regular ones and they didnt last a season before they were all rusted up inside and didn't retract anymore. The stainless ones lasted 4 years on my old boat and the ones on my new one are doing fince after a yaer and a half.

A friend of mine had then on his pt185 trailer when he had it and they never got in the way on his.

Agree 100% with the SS boatbuckles! I put them on my 175 Tracker back in 2000 I didn't even use the mounting kit, just bolted them into the existing holes where the transom tiedowns would go on the trailer, when retracked they did NOT ever hit the boat loading or unloading! I have them in the same place on my Nitro and love them!

Anybody got any pics to share from the stern view?

guys...I'm still affraid of clearance....anybody got a pic they can post so I can see how the boat buckles look from the stern?

I sold my Tracker ND so no pics, but remember when you back the trailer in the back FLOATS off the rear and when you load it same thing.

Sorry - had some old pics with the standard straps, but didn't have updated ones with the new ones. Like Trep, I NEVER had a problem with clearances. Between the floating off of the boat (and power loading with trailer submerged) and the ability for the buckles to swivel, it simply wasn't an issue.

Thanks gents....did you bolt directly to the current tie downs on the trailer or use the 'kit' in some fashion?

I used (on both the Tracker and the Nitro) the existing hole in the trailer. The Angle is actualy great for location on both the boats I had, no additional holes/kit needed.

Ditto on my Tracker - straight bolt on. Had to used an angled bracket for the G3 boat (mounts face the wrong way). Still at the same height, just turned 90 degrees.

Cool, thanks again. Like most on this board, I'm a little anal about stuff being neat and tidy. I appreciate your bearing with me. :p

Latest posts

Back