Between the cap and hull revisited

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Rob

I pulled the mounting bracket off the back end of my Nitro last night and blew in compressed air. I got about a drop and a half of water. I even stuck a wire up in both holes and almost nothing. Damp wire. I put brown paper under the holes and let it sit all night to see if anything dripped out. As of this morning nothing.

I can't figure it out. when I first drilled the holes I got quite a bit of water.(couple of quarts) And when I blew air in one hole I got a stream out the other. A couple years later nothing. I know the source of the water didn't "heal" shut. Just to check I made sure the two holes for the bracket weren't drilled into the bilge. Nope drilled into the two what appears to be floatation filled voids on either side of the bilge area.

So I'll probably forget making my tape unless it will help someone else, but boy this has me wondering.

fatrap

Hopefully it was just a fluke for you. Not for me. I have it figured out. But now to fix it permanently! Lot's of work. I will have so much sweat equity and $$$ into this thing when I'm done I don't think I'll be able to part with it! LOL

Several years ago we were experimenting with a foam that expanded to many times its original volume. It came in two parts when mixed together stated foaming. We put it into football, duck, etc moulds. The foam would follow the intricated nooks and crannies in the moulds then set up pretty hard. May be something like that could fill all the air voids and force out existing water.

fatrap

I'm hoping. I've been looking for some, but can't find any. Where do you get it? I looked tin the BPS marine catalog, Overtons, etc. Nothing.

Awesome, thanks! I will need some this winter. All I found was the spray cans for winterizing cracks in your house at Wal-Mart. I would have to buy about 75 cans! LOL

be carefull with that foam as that stuff gets real nasty to clean up as it probably will have strong adhesive qualities to it also. it will want to go everywhere.

The stuff we used also got pretty hot to handle with bare hands. Made the students use rubber gloves. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the stuff although We still have the can and a small bottle of activator the lables have fallen off.

Memory isn't what it use to be. Or is it? I can't remember.

fatrap

I'd also be cautious of stuff that says its water RESISTANT rather than water proof. Over time, if water actually erodes the stuff, you end up with a big block of floating foam that doesn't do you any good.

My TV-18 has floatation foam injected in various cavities, nooks and crannies. It isn't sprayed in because of the shape it takes. You might be able to find out what kind of foam that is and then see if any local shops can inject it for you.

Latest posts

Back