Bare Wood on Nitro Trailer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Whritenour

Reaction score
As per previous posts regarding abnormal tire wear on my Nitro trailer, I took the wheels off yesterday and got new radials put on. While off, I checked and regreased bearings. One thing I noticed that I thought was pretty cheesy was that the inside of the fenderwell is BARE wood......just a plywood backing for the carpet that is mounted on the inside of the fenders. This wood is submerged everytime the trailer is backed into the water. Although it did not appear to be rotting, I sealed the wood and painted it while I had the wheels off. Hopefully, that will make it last a little longer. Now, we'll see if my new tires wear evenly or not.......keeping my fingers crossed.

The fender backs of non-fiberglass fenders are made using a wolmanized wood; same as the decking under the carpeted wood decks of many models. You may want to trace an outline of the fenders now while they're still whole. By sealing and painting them you have more than likely created a situation where water will now be trapped in the wood and cannot fully drain/dry. Good luck! ;)

It's just one of the many things that are not done in order to keep the total costs down.

Latest posts

Back