Baitcaster Cleaning?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Doing my Spring Cleaning!

It's only been in recent years that I've started using baitcasters..... Spinning reels are easy to clean; take them apart, spray out the old lube, squeeze in new lube and put them back together!

What techniques and products do you guys use on the much more complex baitcasters?

me?

Here is my routine. I take the reel apart down to the last screw. I give it a good cleaning/lube. Then when I put it back together I always have extra parts, or not enough, so I put all the everything in a zip lock and buy a new reel!

It's basically the same, Just that there are more small parts to drop on the floor.;o)

Make sure you have a good schematic of the reel.

When I clean my reels I use Ronsonol lighter fluid to clean all my metal parts including the bearings. Just let them sit a while so the lighter fluid evaporates before you re-oil the bearings.

Then just lube the gears just enough to coat them. To much and you will have a mess inside the reel. Also keep the Drag washers as free of any lube or oil as possible.

Just remember,.....LIGHTLY grease the gears and light oil on the bearings.........NOT vice versa!!

I just take mine to Jim's rod and reel repair and let him do it. When i get them back they work better than new and I don't lose any parts or get frustrated when I have left over parts. LOL

I just spray the gears with wd 40, and the old grease melts right off, then apply new grease to the gears. I tried using bearing grease, (the kind you use for your trailer) and seems to work better than reel grease. Try not to turn the handle, while the side plate is off, sometimes the anti reverse cam, will pop off the gear, and you'll have to take it apart again to fix it.

i clean mine with alcohol and a q-tip then i lube with vasoline and reel oil.but like the others say,not to much. one other thing, when you first put it back together the spool will not turn until you tighten up the drag. i've seen a lot of people think they left something out when they haven't tightened the drag yet. stan

And dont forget to hose them off after each trip if you fish tidal or salt water.

Will let you know. Every year I try I end up doing what Readdurt does. Gonna attempt it again this week. Will advise on how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back