baby 1- how ofton do you throw one?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
Up here by the potomac we throw a 1- or simalar 1- bait all year and always have one tied on. how ofton do you throw one.

i've got one that i try to use in a creek with a bunch of logs layin around to keep from getting hung up. havn't had any luck with it thus far, but have not thrown it much either except in that creek location.

jd

From early to mid summer when the weeds go from half way up the water column to just below the surface..... a LOT! It's my go to bait if the weeds are too much for a jerkbait. DANG....I've said too much. My secret is out. Want me to really blow your mind???? Flip 'em into wood and crank them out! For real, when cover has been pounded with jigs and tubes, I go in and flip spinnerbaits and/or cranks, usually the 1-. You'd be amazed the fish that pass up a jig but will whack a CB going buy. They're just not used to seeing it in there and the precise presentation of flippin allows you to get it in spots without hanging a lot better than overhand casts. My downfall with it is that I like to grab the bait with a free hand when pitching and I always forget a couple of times until I bury those trebles into the meat of my palm....THEN I don't forget again! LOL

Oh, and the only 2 colors I use are firetiger and chrome with a black back and red throat.

hey rob - your secret is out big time! in this month's bassmaster mag there is an article by Denny Brauer on this same issue - pitching crankbaits. what's funny is i just read it about 10 minutes ago. i don't crank much, but i think i could get into this method. guess when it comes down to it, you could pitch just about anything if the circumstances were right. man, i can't wait till it warms up some more and the weedbeds start growin in my lake. i want to go bass fishin everyday.

jd

jd

Been doin the same as Rob on one specific local lake, where by mid July the weeds are up to within a foot or two of the surface, it's a small, round, "cereal bowl" shaped lake about 200 some acres, 30-36 ft deep in the center of the "bowl", and the weeds extend a good 100+ feet in from shore all the way around, and the baby 1- is PERFECT at times there. Especially when it's been pounded by guys usin' floating worms, jerkbaits,frogs,etc..and other soft baits for a few months, must be the rattle, or just that it's "different" but it works well at certain times there... egMike

OK Rob,...Tell us YOU told/showed DB how to do it when you followed him that one day on champlain!!!...LOL!!!

I fish alot of crank baits in the fall and winter mostly...

I tend to like a little deeper diving bait and I fish it off the bottom. the baby one is great when Im just getting down to tick the top of a grass bed or fishing lay downs... if you fish it slow enough you can fish it in heavy cover.

Dang you ROB, quit giving away all my secrets. I've been successful flipping cranks into the trees up here for a long time. Works great, try it if you dare. Accounts for half the scratches on my boat when I go in to dig my crank out of the tree. Usually the upper portion.

i've been flippin spinnerbaits a lot but figured i'd get hung up too much with crank baits. bought a couple storm wiggle warts that were on sale yesterday. would these be good for flipping or would they get hung up to bad.

mac - i'll be seein DB march 1st at Bass University in Tulsa (hope so anyways, my confirmation said New Jersey). I'll ask him who taught him that trick :^) (just teasin ya Rob, thanks for all the good info you provide)

thanks,

jd

Nope Mac, I was too busy teaching him to jig fish! LOL Actually my worry with pitching CB's is that I get into a jig mindset and that lil CB only runs a foot under the water and so when I get a strike, I set the hook like a jig.....NOT a good idea. You will rip the trebles out of a fish more often than not, it takes a lot of dscipline. But the worst is when you miss. I have gotten really good at ducking from sound barrier breaking, whistling crankbaits flying by my head. One day with a top water, I didn't yell "heads up" and it was summer....HOT. My buddy in the back of the boat had his shirt off, well he turned to see it just in time. I think it was a strike king grass frog with a stinger hook. The stinger stung alright! It lodged right into his sternum and just hung there with a little trickle of blood running out. MAN that had to hurt! We don't fish together anymore.....LOL

Rob,

I can take the errant hook-in-skin but there is just one place where I can't. Remind me to wear my cup if we ever go fishing!!

TOXIC

As long as I'm not throwing topwater or pitching crankbaits, you should be just fiiiine! Have a cigarette, a coffee, some no-doze and relax! LOL

What's the best rod for this kind of flipping? I was thinking a 5 and a half foot MH short handled triger stick.

Thoughts?

I don't use anything less than 6', and I only use 6 footers for light presentations. When I flip I use 6'6" m/h minimum if not a 7' Heavy rod. Remember, you can never have too much rod! LOL Size DOES matter. You WON'T turn a 4+ lb hog out of wood with a bitty little rod. You want a pool cue, winch, and aircraft cable! LOL

i would think a 7' rod with a fast tip would be good for this. the length of rod might help out as some of the crankbaits are kind of light. i'm going to give it a try this spring and see what i think.

jd

Sim,

Rob's got it right you want to wrecker boom that fish out of the cover ASAP.

You dont want that big ol' bucket mouth rippin' that little whimpy stick out of your hands... You will get mad..

:)

T.S.

ok, so the consensus is "Sim don't know what him talkin bout"...

I can live with that.

let me expand upon my theory a bit:

Short length -> allows me to flip "under" branches easier.

Pistol grip ->easier rod control, lighter weight. should be more accurate.

I guess I wasnt thinking of "flipping" in the traditional sense.

MHeavy -> well, cause that is the "standard" and the one All Star rod I found at Walmart that fit the bill. (never said "wimpy" said "short"... )

The other pourpose of this "lil" rod would be to flip spinnerbaits in/around docks and boats in tight quarters.

I fully realize the need for a meatier flipping stick for jigs and things, but I was envisioning something for tight quarters...

Thanks!

Pistol grip is a personal preferrence thing. I don't like them, I like more rod back there to grip and fight the fish with.

Sim -

I'm pretty much in your court on this one..... Except that I use 5'6" medium-heavy spinning tackle.

First, I have never been able to flip with a baitcaster..... Don't know what the heck I do wrong..... But I sure make a mess of things when I try.....

Second, I have some nerve deterioration in my hands from 40+ years of being a diabetic. I feel more secure doing the one-handed flip with the reel stem hung between fingers to keep the rod from slipping away.

Finally, the shorter rod is just easier for me to use when doing the short-flip thing..... Probably because I used 5' ultra-lite spinning tackle for so many years to flip very small lures while trout fishing.

me!

Latest posts

Back