Anyone heard of this problem?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Stein

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Nitro 188 Fish/Ski. Approximately 2 years ago, I noticed a series of long cracks in the gel coat along the hull of my boat, from the console to the transom (both sides).

I took the boat to an authorized Nitro dealer to have it repaired. The dealer battled back and forth with Tracker, initially calling the cracks cosmetic and not covered by warranty. Eventually, Tracker agreed to cover the repairs which included reinforcing the fibergalss at the point where the console meets the hull (indicating there was definitely more the just cosmetic damage). After almost 3 mos., I got my boat back.

It had been awhile, so I recently decided to check how the reapairs were holding up. Much to my dismay, I noticed a new crack (about 14" long) developing very close to where the repairs were made on the port side.

I baby my boat; it's used primarily for bass fishing with an occasional ski or tube run during the summer. It has seen some time on Lake Mead, but nothing too crazy. It's always garaged and detailed at least twice a year. Most people who see it ask if it's new!

So what gives? Is this common in Nitros or did I just get a lemon? Has anyone had or heard of this type of problem?

In need of some suggestions and/or advice!

Thanks.... Marc

Marc,

I am not sure if it is "common to Nitro's", so I can't really comment on that specific question.

However, I will say a few things regarding stress cracks.

First off, every fiberglass boat that I have ever seen built, at some point or another, will develop at least one. It's the nature of the fiberglass. Well built / designed rigs, put together with quality components may only have one small one, less than an inch long, hid away under some lid, or at a radius somewhere, but if you search really well... you will find it. I've seen people come unglued at a 1" stress crack, found coming out of a drilled hole in their boat. Nothing more than superficial, but they freak out when they see it. I've had people within my bass club bet me that I couldn't find a stress crack in their boat (Ranger guys really like to challenge me on this one) - but I've never failed to take their bet, and win - especially if the boat has been in the water at least a few times (I've even seen new ones with them).

However, the stress cracks you are talking about go a lot further than the ones I am speaking of. Cracks to that extent are usually (from past experience) caused by a manufacturers defect. This may not be a structural defect - it may simply be the use of a inferior gel coat, or an improper technique / weather condition when that gel coat was applied. The bad part about it is this (and I am very sorry to write this): I have never seen large stress cracks, such as the ones you described "repaired" without totally replacing the top cap, or other piece in question. The repairs I have seen done over large areas such as this usually re-appear after a period of time. They may not be to the same extent, but they almost always rear their heads again.

Now, this is purely my experience on the matter. Someone with greater experience than me (like Pat Goff or others in his field), that have seen many more boats, may have different experiences. However, it has been my experience that they always return - and the only way to fully get rid of them is to get the piece replaced.

Triton, the boat I own, is having a heck of an issue since the Brunswick buyout a few years back. My 05 Triton was pre-buyout, and had only minor, small stress cracks in hidden areas. However, the new second console I bought (post-buyout) has stress cracks in it, and I've heard tons of new Triton owners complaining of stress cracks such as yours. However, these are only the people that have problems and post about them on the boards (BBC). There are probably thousands who don't have those problems, so it may not be what we are expecting (problems post-buyout at Triton).

Sorry you are having problems.

All the best,

Glenn

Hank Parker once told me, "show me a Bass Boat and I'll show you a stress crack".

:lol::lol::lol:

TEE / Berry.... if you own a fiberglass boat, and want to put a wager on it... I betcha I can find at least one. Just pay for my plane ticket. :lol::lol::lol:

Not meaning to offend anyones "baby"... but if you look close enough, you can find them - corners, screw holes, transom area, under rod locker lids, etc.... Almost gauranteed - there's one somewhere.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back