Another respooling line question.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
How do you know when you've reached a 100 yards of line? Like approximately how many cranks does it take to put on 100 yards? I know there are different gear ratios...thats why I said approximate. I have always started with all the line off and then eyeball when I think its "full". You guys are saying put cheap line on for the 1st 60-70 yds. How do you know when to say when? Probably a dumb question but I really dont know.

Teri,

Do you have two identical reels? And, it might be worth the $$$ and the time (to get scientific at this) to invest in the $12 Shakespeare add on line counter...

If you have two identical reels and the line counter... spool your primary line onto you spare reel first... using the line counter "measure" 60-70 yards (180-210 feet) the tie on the backing till the spool is "full" (eyeballed is fine). Then simply spool this onto the reel you wanmt to fill... using the line counter to "measure" the backing that you are spooling onto the reel... On the second reel you now know how much backing you have and put that onto the second reel.. then fill with your primary line...

Teri,

I don't measure, I just add about 1/8th of backing line then spool the new stuff.

Teri don't over think the issue. Your reels are already spooled, yes? Make a long double overhand cast in the yard, strip off 10 more yards and cut the line and retie there. Also something I thought everybody knew is that your wingspan is the same as your height. So if you are 5 foot something? Pull the line out and do the math.

BF

I just fill to within 1/4 inch of the edge of the spool on spinning rods and on baitcasters until the line feels comfy to my thumb. You have to remember that if you are putting on line that you will loose due to the application (dropshot for example) I will put more on because there is nothing more frustrating than to get down to the knot when casting. Another thought is that you could just go buy 1 spool of the length of line you need and then remember where it fills your spool to. Then you can go buy your bulk spool. Otherwise just go get you a spooling station with the line counter.

TOXIC

I agree with Marty, no need to over think it. On spinning rods i fill it will its 1/8" from the lip or so. If it uncoils itself when you flip the bail you put on too much. All of my Shimano reels have a line machined into the top of the spool to mark where full is. I fill it to that line.

Just wanted to echo of the above stated. Leave a comfortable edge on the spool after loading (about 1/8") and your full. Bruce's suggestion is a great way to get your respooling accomplished without a lot of hassle and saves $$$. That's all your usually using in a fishing day. Tourney respooling you may want to strip back a bit more for the occasional over-runs or as I would tell my co's, "No backlash. Just measuring it out to make sure I got enough." :lol:

Teri,

I use 100 yardsticks laid end to end on the street in front of my house to measure 100 yards of fishing line. I put orange cones out so cars can't pass through until I'm all done spooling my reels. LMMFAO!!!! :p

I agree with all of the keep it simple comments, but if you get into a situation where you do need to measure out a specific length of line, spool it onto a reel with a line counter, and then spool it from there onto the reel you want loaded. Also, Shakespeare makes a little clip-on line counter that works with any rod and reel. Costs $10.

I just eyeball half full and go from there. On a smaller baitcaster it is less of a deal, some of the spinning gear can hold quite a bit of line. I have some that hold several hundred yds of 15. On my saltwater stuff that holds about 300+ of 15 I don't splice, kings regularly get into the back end of the spool......Many yrs ago Mitchell actually addressed this with low and hi capacity spools, but that idea sort of died.

I gotta admit until this year and my trips up to Guntersville, I re-spooled 1/year, i have only had 2-3 breakoffs in a year, and 99% of the time it was due to nicks in the line from things like rocks/trees and I should have re-tied.

I did learn the mono backing for Braid this year, that was new! First reel I spooled with 50lb braid I didn't tape or use a mono backing, and after spooling it up and noticing the line slipping around the spool! Good lesson to learn before setting the hook!! LOL

One wrap of electrical tape will work as well. If you don't want to deal with the adhesive on Electrical tape you can use plumbers tape. I usually use a line backing.

TOXIC

Back