a question for anyone to ponder(kind of long,sorry)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF WHITE

Reaction score
here it is,i worked for a trucking company in the shop,i worked 3rd shift which is great,but i worked with another guy who has been there 2 yrs,now no raises unless you beg and bother the boss for a month every day,broken promises of money,and such.holiday pay for theday,$75.vacation based on your gross divided by days worked,which could be more than a days pay or less,but meanwhile:

at night you see and hear things.we had no time clock,fill in the time card with a pen with time in,and out.now i worked with a guy who supposedly knows everything,heck,he couldnt adjust brakes when he started!scairy,right.

back to the question.his starting time was 11pm,then it got to be 12am.mine is 11pm,always there or maybe a few minuts late,but make it up at the end of the day,this other person would show up round 1:00-1:30 am,sign in for 12am,walk around for an hr or so,while getting dressed,then go to the store for food,not every day for food,but almost every day.then figure he would get to work,on occasion he would work on friends things he would bring in.he just bought a house,remodeling it,disposing of the waste in the company dumpster,and using the company truck for hauling it to the shop,on company time.then the secratary would come in round 5am,he would dissapear for an hr or more,guess,upstairs shooting the breeze with her.

now what burns me is i do work on the trucks,writeups,pm's,and such.i find out about 3 weeks ago he was putting his name on my pm sheets to cover his butt on time,now this started to burn me to no extent.so i found another job,i left there last friday,i told them i couldnt work here with a clear consience(spelling suck,but a dumb diesel mechanic doesnt have to be a scholar)!

now this 12am punch in come in 1am has been going on for over 3 months or better,he was never on time since i worked there,over 8 months.the secratary knew about it for a long time,she does payroll!go figure!

now comes the question,do you tell the boss,who wont do anything about it anyway,he pushes a lot of stuff under the rug anyway.or do you tell the owner about what is going on?he basically is stealing from the company for quite a long time?i feel you are there for 8 hrs,you should do 8 hrs work.this person complains if he doesnt get 50+ hrs a week.his wife doesnt work,he says her job is to stay home and take care of the kids,which he has 2 of,now a 3rd on the way.

now like i said do you call and tell the owner whats going on?its stealing from the company,plain and simple?or do you blow it off,and let it rest?im kind of at a crossroads with this.do you clear your consience and spill it or let it ride?im leaning towards spilling it.its been bothering me the past few days.

oh my new job is basically the same as what i was doing,except there is raises,vacation,sick and holiday pay is your hourly rate x 8 hrs.plus more money.

sorry,wont be able to make the rally.wish i could,but cant.

The time to spill it would have been while you were still there. I worked a 3:30 to midnight shift as a welder with no "boss" bue we policed ourselves because we knew if the work didn't get done there would be he11 to pay. I personally would have taken the guy aside and told him got get it together and pull his weight and come clean on the work orders or you would take it up the line.

Now that you are gone it just looks like sour grapes...sounds like the boss doesn't much care anyway. Just know that his scam will come apart sooner or later they always do.

Good luck in your new job.

TOXIC

Jeff,

I think you work for the same people as I do.

We had a fellow just like that....they made him a boss.

I wouldn't worry about it.They may know already,either they don't care or he will get busted sooner or later.

Just my $.02,but I'm just a dumb Euc driver.

Steve

Jeff, my Friend.....

At this point, just let it go..... You've got better things to do with your life than worry about a company that didn't care that much about your well-being in the first place. It sounds like they deserve the guy.

God Blees!

And Congrats on the new job!

me!

Jeff

I agree with Me. Just let it go. Chances are when you do something like that it ends up on you. You never know what a guy like that would do to get even. Just go fishin.

fatrap

PS I'm dumber than all of ya. I'm a teacher EVERYONE tells me how to do my job.LOL

I agree with the others your time to speak up has passed. Now that does not mean that you can not drop an anomious (spelling) letter in the mail to let the owner know what's going on and I do hope you always protected your work with all the proper documentaion. You don't want your name smeared by work this person does. Any chance the guy is related to the boss or owner? Seen that before also.

BF

Jeff,

I have to agree with the rest of the posts... You certainly do not "owe" anything to your former employer... You gave them an honest days work... What the other guy does will be very apparent now that you are gone... Work won't get done and somebody will eventually investigate this...

By the way, good luck in the new job... And, I'm glad that it is a better deal for you...

I gotta agree with everyone else, especially Greg (now that's a change ain't it). Now that you're gone there will be a vacum. The load you were carrying won't be picked up by any of the slackers that are still there. I have always believed that good will always win over bad..... sometimes at a great cost however.

I was fired from my job in January for errors on jobs I had bid. Did I make the mistakes? Yes most of them but not all. The thing is that the whole place was so poorly managed that the boss didn't know what was going on. Plus half of the guys in the shop were related to him so their errors never seemed to count and it was easy to CYA by blameing it on the estimator. The big mistake that I made was complaining about the way things were being handled. I'm still bitter about what happened even though I'm happy to be out of that hellhole. I have a much better job with better everything but I'd still like to get 'em some how. I know I never will and the best thing is to just get past it and enjoy the new job. And that's my advice to you, get past it and enjoy the new job. Good will win out.

Harpo

im not sure i can let it go.it bothers me that some people would take advantage of a company like that.its not right.i should have said something when i was there but i didnt want to risk my job due to the fact i needed it.couldnt afford to be without one.now i found a job where they treat you with respect and dignity.

the worse part of this is the supervisor knows of the adding time to the timecards,but doesnt do a thing about it,or wont,doesnt create waves and such.i was promised money when i transfered to the truck shop,but was never given it.asked about it,and lied to about it,but never given it.you dont tell me something and then do the oposite.i hate that.

i know some of you would think this is like revenge or something,but the people who are still there wont rock the boat,it has been like this for so long,and most of them need the job,but wont look for a new one unless forced to.they piss and moan about the place4 but wont lift a finger or say anything to change it.it is a easy job,but they all work over 50 hrs a week,or more,due to the no raises each year,so the cost of living goes up,there check goes down,you lose each year.

sorry for the rant and such,but it works on my nerves.i have not looked back,only to laugh at the place and to wonder how i could have wasted a year of my life there,which could have been put to good use elseware.i had a few drivers who i became good friends with who would ask for me specifically to work on there trucks only,because they felt i did the job corectly and the way they would have done it.that makes me feel good that someone puts there life in my hands for working and doing the preventive maintance checks on there trucks.i have a few others who i do at my house who are the same way.it takes a lot to get people to trust you with there life.

80,000 lbs of truck,lots of diffrent systems working together,to spot defects in each system,and repair them with confidence that you dont lay awake at night wondering if you did it properly or not.stress levels in the mechanics field for certain people are high,and some dont work in the field for long without developing ulcers and other medical conditions.

ive been doing this line of work over 15+ yrs,and now working where i do at a garage with a lot of trucks coming through,i give them an estimate on the time to do the job,if i go over,i leave it at the origional time,i never charge them more than i actually do.i wouldnt feel right doing it.call it a consience(i know,spelling sucks).people work to hard for there money to be cheated out of it.its not right,cant change eveything overnight,but it might be a start.

thanks,for everyones opinions and advice.i guess i have to do what i feel is right for me to clear my consience.sorry for the rant.needed to talk to a impartial bunch of friends.

Jeff, LET IT GO!

Chances are your old boss knows what the guys are doing anyway. If you stick your nose back in the stuff you left behind who knows what will happen, they may severely resent your squealing. The time to do it was when you were there. Forget them and get on with your life.

You owe them nothing. Shake the dust off your shoes, let them swim in it.

You can rant/rave/blow off steam/whatever all you want here, Jeff. That's what friends are for!

Believe me..... If you were afraid that you might lose YOUR job for reporting the dishonesty of the other individual - then the company ain't worth your effort. (I wanna say "eff 'em", but that wouldn't be proper in a public forum.)

Now..... Go ahead and let out your frustrations here.....

Psychiatric Help - 5 Cents!

If you feel that strongly about then I would say go ahead and blow the whistle. You will no doubt be making some enemies and few friends but if that's the trade off for a satisified mind then it's worth it. The world needs more people with your kind of integrity.

Let us know how things go.

Harpo

Jeff,

If it is eating at you, pick up the phone and call the owner. Don't whine about the other guy, tell him straight out, this is what is happening. Let him know you think it is wrong and that he should know about it.

Rich D

ive been corosponding with the owner anonymously and he knows about it,but it is not just in the 1 department,drivers,dock workers and dispatchers also are doing it.stealing time.he said he knows of the situation and is going to be taking appropriate measures to correct the situation.

worse part no one will come forward to confirm the situation.they are scared of reprisals from the others.

thanks for taking the time to respond to this.all opinions are appreciated!!

now,who has soft water!!i sure dont!!

Jeff,

Life is a wheel what comes around goes around, they will all get what they deserve. Hopefully through the grape vine you will find out about it. Your problem is you suffer from a bad case of morales(hope that's speelled right.

Horray for you if more people worked and thought like you do this world would be a better place. Congrats on the new job and your decision to do what you thought was the right thing. I'm afraid I would have tryed to do that also, but don't know if I'd of had the intestinal fortitude(ba&^s) to do it. Enjoy life fish with your son.c/ya Ed

Drop the dime...

If not for the company's sake, you just might save some driver's life by exposing this incompetent before he fouls up a job and puts some innocent driver at risk.

Latest posts

Back