A little warmer gear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Anyone use the Frogg Toggs Firebelly series raingear? I have some BPS lite gear now, but looking heavier stuff for on coming cold.

Thanks,

Eric

BPS 100mph suit...best investment I ever made. I didnt want to spend the money but I am so happy I did.

Thanks, Teri. I will be making a trip to the BPS in Hampton, Va at the end of the month, so I hope they have some in stock that I can try on. Being warm and dry is much more important than being cheap, so 100mph it is.

Thanks again,

Eric

Eric, I looked up the price of the jacket you were looking at and it listed for $70. The 100mph are alot more. The jacket full price is $229 so there is quite a difference. I caught mine on a clearance cuz I live really close to BPS. I did buy the Pro Qualifier bibs which are a little cheaper. Not sure you want to spend that kind of money but if you can I highly recommend. I've worn my suit fishing in Michigan and never got cold. I've worn it in tournaments in super cold pouring rain and never got wet or cold.

I think Cabelas has something similar. Not sure on price. Others will probably chime in with recommendations.

If you don't fish frigid, you can go with the Pro Qualifier set and layer up underneath. I have the 100mph and I have their lightweight rain suit. If it is too hot for the 100mph it is perfect for the lightweight suit. The 100mph is very breathable so you can wear it in a lot of temperature ranges. Once again layer up underneath for additional warmth. In Michigan we all wear them. My rainsuit is fireplug red and CIII uses me as a marker buoy when we are not in the same boat!!:lol:

TOXIC

I did as Teri and bought the 100 MPH jacket and the Pro Qualifier bids to save a little. I've always stayed warm and dry.

HP

The price is high, but I also believe it will be worth it. After fishing in periods of driving rain on Sunday, I was on the lookout for new gear. My guide on Erie last year was wearing BPS and looked very comfortable, and it was really cold and wet out. Looks like I will have to get my "husband stash" out for this one. Thanks everyone for advice.

Eric

I use Cabella's 'Guidewear', the un-insulated version. I know that the 100 mph suits have improved, but I still love my Guidewear. I can layer in it as needed, so if you consider it, I wouldn't get the insulated version unless you live way far North and will be mostly in sub-freezing weather.

I never liked the fit (for me) of the 100 mph suits, but I understand they have changed. Best to do what you have suggested, wear/try on the one you want.

Tex

100 mph is the only suit and worth the high price

If you fish really cold weather you will want some insulated waterproof/windproof coveralls or a bib set. A long run in 15 degrees can get your attention. Don't forget your hands and face, we use head covering and face goggles. You don't want any sking exposed on long cold runs. I've seen people use the helmets too.

Latest posts

Back