911 CDC Livewell question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Mc

Reaction score
First, I am a new first time Nitro owner. Yeah I think? I purchased an 06' 911 CDC with a 225 Optimax. I put it in the water for the first time yesterday. I think I am going to like the boat after I get it dialed in to my area. I found some problems like you do anytime you have a boat. (If little things bother you, you don't need to own a boat!) I have prop questions but I will address that in another blog. First things first.

I have some questions about the livewell system. The front livewell does not fill up with water. I read that it fills up by gravity flow and that this front livewell is set low at outside water level. There is not a plug (I have read that there is supposed to be a plug that fits into the drain hole at the back of the livewell). So, it should fill up when I put the boat in the water, but it is dry. There is no plug on the outside of the boat at the back of transom either that would accomplish the same thing.

When I pour water into the livewell it gradually drains out but does not drain out the back of the boat through any of the drain plugs. I assume it is draining into the hull. So I assume the line is capped or broken somewhere under the gas tank where there is a trap door just below the battery. Any advise on this? By the way, the bilge pump did pump water out on occassion while I was in the water. I figured it was either an aerator pump that has froze and burst (I had that problem before on another boat) or loose hose connection somewhere.

Also on the two back livewells on both of them there are two aerator valves. One is black and pointed and shots water straight down. The other is white and almost flush with the side and top. It simply shoots water (in a heavy stream) straight across the top of the livewell. My question, Is that one valve suppose to shoot a solid stream going across or is there another fitting that is suppose to direct the water downwards???

Anyone have a link to an owners manual for this boat?

Check the website "www.flow-rite.com"

I believe the 9 series nitors use that system.

RoyC

I can't find anything pertaining directly to my boat. Maybe I just know how to search the site. It keeps giving me 'no resluts'.

Thanks,

Dave

I don't think so. The cooler is under the passenger seat. The new models on the website have it as a livewell.

The original 911 had a front livewell. They discontinued using it as a livewell in 2003 or so. I don know if they stopped because of the problems people were having or it the NMMA or USCG made them stop. Imagine if that hose let loose from the bottom of the livewell....it would be WELL below the waterline with no way to plug it. That hull would fill up in about 30 minutes with no way to stop it. If you do not have a dedicated drain in the front livewell/cooler, it is not a livewell. Do you have controls to pump water in and out of it? If you dont have a deedicated valve/pumps/drain in it.....its a cooler.

The boat shown on the current website is not a 911, but is a Z9CDC. Not the same animal. Close but not the same.

The back livewells are exactly as you described. One is the recirc one is the fill. When you place them on auto, they both turn to recirc when on pad and one is fill and one is recirc when sitting still. There should be no additional fitting. The white one that sprays across the water should have bubbles in it from the pro air system.

Make sure you take a look at the rear livewell hoses. Most of teh models with the "Guardian Livewells" had hoses run directly underneath the livewell. The Guardian had a "flange" insode the livewell to help stop water from sloshing around. Great idea, but when filled with water the livewell would "lower" from the lip (kinda like an accordian) and crush the hoses under it. The hoses would eventually split along the sides and leak. Every 9 series boat with guardian livewells I had seen had this problem.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I am going by memory of the 4 different 911CDC's I had owned.

You could very well be right. On several blogs I have read where on some CDC's the front livewell would fill when the plug is out and would overflow when they were backing up. Perhaps you are right and they disconnected the the front one and simply called it a cooler on newer models. That would explain why the water drains into the hull and not outside to one of the drain or intake holes. that is a real shame. I was looking forward to not having to run to the back of the boat everytime I caught a fish. I can't afford the newer Z9's, but I like the front livewell in that boat. In fact, I like the whole front raised deck better.

Thanks for the detailed response. Which models did you own?

1999 911CDC

2000 911CDC (two of em)

2001 911CDC

All with 225 Optis. I was on Nitros State Team program at the time.

i have an '06, it is a cooler, there is no plumbing, there also is a cooler under

the passengers seat.

Latest posts

Back