901 Hole Shot

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich S

Reaction score
I Have a 200 EFI with a Tempest Plus 25p prop, its a dog out of the hole with just me in the boat and a light load, with 2 people its even slower with 3 forget it, it will never get up on plane unless someone climbs up on the bow, down here in florida most of the lakes I fish are fairly shallow so I need to be able to get it on plane in 2 feet or less of water and this isnt happening. Idling for 20mins to get back out in 3ft+ just to get on plane is getting ridiculous especially during a tournament when time matters.

I have the stock 10inch fixed jack plate on the boat but was thinking a hydraulic plate may be the way to go. is this a good solution or do I need to change the prop? any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Pull out one of the plastic plugs near the base of the prop. I normally use needle-nose pliers. Try the hole shot again. If that doesn't work, pull another one. The problem is that your prop isn't spinning fast enough to get the motor into the powerband. Removing those plastic plugs lets more exhaust gas out, creating air bubbles around the prop. Removing too many will just cause your prop to spin.

An advantage on that 19 ft boat is you have a 50 gallon tank in the back, which is also causing you a problem. I would try to pull the plugs one at a time and see if that improves your issue. Of course with a bigger load that can hinder you by inducing cavitation.

I can launch my 911 out of the water with an extremely high setting on the jack plate and a trophy prop.

I think the trophy will help and in your case i also think a hydraulic plate would be ideal. Of course the 2 combined will probably cost over $1k.

pmgoff,

were can i get a splash gaurd. i contacted T&H and they said i could only get one from a dealer.

how does it attacth to the stock jack plate on a NX882.

can i purchase one from you??

if so how much??

Thanks

GregD

Playing with the pvs plugs is a good place to start. My 882 was similar in the holeshot and it took somework to get it better and now its way better. i dont think the jackplate is the best answer, on my 882 when i got it the motor was mounted low and it was an absoute dog out of the hole. So lowering the motor down dosent always give the best holeshot. once i got motor was raised to the correct spec is was better but still slow in my opinion. My next step was to send my propeller out and have it blueprinted. By myself it was pretty good and two people is was still a bit doggy. On reccomendation of Bob Bourget at marine usa i raised the motor even more, as high as i would go on the plate and now its an absolute roclet out of the hole if im alone and with two people and full gas and well its quicker then it was stock when i was by myself with half a tank and no water. If i could jack the motor higher it would get even better. The combination of the prop work and motor height made a huge difference.

Synergy, your profile says you have a 200xr6, but above you said it's an EFI. Having no ideas on either motor on a 901, I thought it might make a difference.

I have a friend with a 99 or 2000 901 with a 200 opti and he's running a tempest (3-blade, trophy is a 4-blade) and has pretty good overall performance.

Personally, I don't like the fixed setback plates, because you adjust a manual jack plate in 1/4" increments usually and they obviously don't have holes in the transom every 1/4" inch.

A lot of the "experts" think you really need a hydraullic jackplate. I am not an expert and have never used a hydraullic jackplate, but I have yet to see the cost/benefit numbers work out in favor of the hydraullic plate. I'm not saying there isn't a benefit, just that there are better ways to spend that extra few hundred bucks over a manual plate.

I have a 23 trophy on my 901 (200 EFI), and have what I consider to be a fairly fast holeshot... Most of the plugs are removed, standard fixed plate, no T&H thingy...

Why is it everyone else has a 25?

23p at 5800 rpms vs a 25p at 5800 rpms... well, top end is higher. However, some motors are "hotter" than others from the factory, so two identical boats with identical motors could need different props.

Pat..... Pat..... Pat..... He's asking if he can buy it from YOU! Now give him your name and phone number! You have provided so much assistance to people on this board you deserve to receive some sort of reward!

Thank you, Pat Goff, for your contributions!

me!

Todd...

on my 02 901, when I first got it the hole shot was not good, and I would lose Water Pressure (to the point of alarms) when attempting to go "really fast"...

What we discovered was that the factory setting for the engine was about a 1/2 inch higher than it should be.

Mine might have been an oddball, but after dropping the engine a 1/2" inch in hieght, it was a very different animal.

Just something to check.

My '00 901 DC, w/200EFI w/25" Tempest Plus is very slow to plane with two people, full livewells and a full tank of fuel.

I have two plugs removed which helped a lot.

I am running about 54-5500 RPMs at WOT. I plan to purchase a 23P Trophy Plus which should help the holeshot a lot and still stay within the RPM limit of 5800.

I have the 10" Hydraulic Jackplate. I usually get up faster by raising the plate all the way up until I just start to get on plane. I then start lowering the plate and trimming the motor together.

RoyC

All good advice so far....

One other thing to try...I have found the 901 with the BIG gas tank to be a hindrance also in hole shot. The negative set-back when tucked all the way in seems to slow down the hole shot when full of gas.

Try trimming it out level and see what she does.

I can't recall what prop Mac ran on his 901, but I think he had 2 plugs pulled and his had one of the best hole-shots of any 901 I've driven.

Latest posts

Back