Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeap hunting inn Texas you need a long range rifle. As you know there's alot of open country down here in Texas. So you will be looking for the Big Cola Blanca.

I'd let the Slug Hunter go and keep the BP Triumph. You might want to get a primitive weapons season hunt in with it. (Or keep them both! Ain't it hard to let 'em go? :wub: :lol: )

I have regretted more gun sales than I have not....

I can tell you from experience that down there you could use a "long range" boomer more than that slug hunter...

So, if any "shift" is in order, the more likely need would be something for 400-500 yrds... Maybe a flat .257 Wby... The ultimate "bean field cartridge" in my opinion for the deer you see in Texas.

I never repeat never sell a gun once it's mine it's mine for life. I've regretted each of the few times I've sold a gun in the past. I have more than I can count but that doesn't matter.

fatrap

Weatherby ammo is pricey!! My Wby.270 Mag ammo is $59.00 for 20 rounds!! Not a plinking gun by any stretch,....but I'll NEVER sell that rifle!!

In my opinion....you don't really need to spend "Leupold $$" on a scope for a 30-30 either....max range for that gun is 200 yds....more like 150. You can get a very nice scope for those ranges for 1/2 the price of a Leupold.........look at Nikon, Simmons and Bushnell.....they all have excellent quality glass and a wide range of reticles and features for @ $200. (You don't put a Shimano Stella reel on an Ugly Stick!!) LOL!!

Know what I mean??

BTW...sell the smoke pole and keep the .20 ga.....you can always pick up a bird barrel for that and hunt quail, turkey and chukar down in TX!

Man I love huntin'!!!:wub::wub:

Mac

Chukar's are similar to quail..but a little bigger...very popular on game ranches, and in the SW USA...think "wild cornish hen!"..LOL

Mac and I have had this discussion before... Leupolds are worth every penny, period! I won't belabor the point, but other than my son's .22 he bought when he was 13 (14 years ago, mounted with a Simmons .22 scope) and my first "big bore", an 1891 Argentine Mauser that wears a Weaver 3X9 AO, becasue it was what I could afford when I was 16, every rifle I own wears a Leupy... No failures, period! Spend all that money to get someplace and have a fogged up scope isn't worth the risk. You can buy better, but you'll pay a couple of house payments and not get much more. But, for the $$$ they are the best. Customer service if it is ever needed is a slam dunk.

For that .30-30... depends on the manufacturer as to which scope... A real nice Vari-X II in 1.5 X 5 or 6 (can't remember) is great for hunting in heavy woods.

I have a Vari-X III 1.5X5 on my .257 Roberts and it is a fantastic deer rifle...

My 7mm, .300 WM, and .338WM all wear Vari-X III in 2X7. My .22 Ruger 77/22 wears a Compact 4X. My slug gun has another 1.5X5. A .30-06 wears a Vari-X II 2X7. My .222R Sako Hvy Brl wears a 24X or a 4.5X10. A Rem 700 in .280 has the only 3X9 (came that way used). And, finally, there is another 2X7 waiting for the new .35 Whelan.

Glenn, I've only sold one weapon in my entire life and still kick myself:angry:. It doesn't cost you anything to keep them, but it will if you ever get the urge to replace them, plus some:eek:. If'n they was mine, I'ld keep em'! Course, I've never been accused of being practical either...:lol::lol::lol:

JP

Glenn, I agree with JP. If you need another one for a different reason, pick one up.

Bubby:)

once i own a gun it is mine forever. sell it and you'll wish you kept it:(

dave

What you need to do is buy several more rifles to keep what you have company. Plus everyone should have at least one pistol. One revolver, and a adult air rifle. Thats for the rest of this year. After that some surplus military rifles would be good before they get all bought up. And one of those rifles should be an AR definetly an AR 15 with an AR 10 thrown in for good measure. You just never know. Then you just start laying in ammo everytime you have some spare cash you buy a couple boxes. Surplus M1 ammo is cheap but you'd need a rifle that shoots a 30.06. M1's are so neat that owning a piece of history is a priveldge and should be experienced by all.

Also don't forget to get a couple .22 for the kids.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back