2003 Rally Spots and Distance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Well.. I had a little time to analyze some of the possibles...Several people have suggested a lake in Kentucky and we had floated the possibility of a Lake in Missouri. I just picked two of them for no particular reason and analyzed the mileage... Here's my thoughts....

Distances to Mark Twain in Missouri...Chicago, IL 310 Detroit, MI 578 St Louis, MO 136 Plattsburgh, NY 1147 Miami, FL 1352 DesMoines, IA 224 Atlanta, GA 690 Scranton, PA 975 Dallas, TX 662 and Limoges, ON 1775. Lake Cumberland in Kentucky... Chicago, IL 427 Detroit, MI 442 St Louis, MO 372 Plattsburgh, NY 981 Miami, FL 953 Des Moines, IA 720 Atlanta, GA 291 Scranton, PA 756 Dallas, TX 810 Limoges, ON 1560

So from that list a Kentucky site looks better for driving for a lot of folks and not too bad for most of us..

Hey Rob...

That's the same thing I thought...especially for Pierre it's 215 miles closer!

Ah, he'll be fine. Give him a few Bradours and let Dan drive! LOL

I notice you didn't even think about us Californians..I see how it is.

1907 miles to Mark Twain from California. and 2370 to Cumberland.

John, you guys gotta put one together for west coast. As Mac said, we can accomodate everyone. Just pull the list of all members, see where the biggest concentration is, and centrally locate according to that. I still like the regional idea. Say one for the northeast, one in the south, one in the midwest, and one on the west coast. For the northeast, if you guys wanted Champlain again, I would be willing to HELP cooridinate it. Maybe try Sept or something as the weather is much more stable then. But to be honest, I would prefer to get to a new lake. I'm liking the sound of KY. Wait, I just did the math, 1500 miles at an average of 65 mph would be almost 18 hours of driving. Nope too far! LOL

How is the Potomac? B.A.S.S. fishes there a lot. Must be pretty good. How about the TVA? I always hear a lot about that and they have smallies too. Can't be more than 12 hours from here right?

Rob...

You wouldn't drive a measeley 18 hours just to see my smilin face again...I'm am crushed!

That's a long haul man. Can they fit my boat in the cargo hold of a 727? LOL I might if I had someone to take over for a few hours. It's the trip back that worries me, after um, fishing hard all weekend. Yeah, that's it, fishing! LOL I don't know how those guys did it this weekend. I know Mac slept in, but he had the longest drive, him too. Man, those guys are some road warriors! I've driven to Columbia SC and back in a single weekend, but I don't recommend it. Tough on ya!

One thing I am thinking of doing is combining the one=week "fishing vacation" we do as a family with the rally that way distance, etc. become a little less of a problem.

But, let's keep the thoughts rolling...

A Rally in KY or Tenn... for eastern folks... One in Missouri or Arkansas for Midwest and Southern and a Rally on the surface of the moon for the California folks!! Just kidding...but it does seem like the moon is closer to drive than California...Once you get past Kansas things get real far apart.... I fished a Walleye Tournament in North Dakota...took a lifetime to drive there and back Can vaguely remember driving with three guys in a minivan to Idaho for an Elk hunt...fast food wrappers everywhere is all I remember... So maybe regionals is the best idea

We can't make everybody happy. It's upon each region to have someone VOLUNTEER to organize theirs. I think it's a great idea. Then we can swap notes. I don't want no trash talking from the south or CA, 'bout how big their fish are. WE KNOW! They get to grow twice as fast in a year! LOL That's why us norden folk cin drink so much eh? Long winters wid nuthin to do but ice fish. You gotta be drunk to do that! LOL

You gonna come to next year's so you can take a turn at the wheel? If it's on Norman, I'm game. That's the only way I'll drive 12-14 hours!

You got my vote for Cumberland!

(Dale Hollow or Barkley would be good alternates as well).

I'm still voting for Kentucky...

For those that don't know, Kentucky Lake is connected to Lake Barkley via a canal...together there's more water than we could fish in a month!!!

I didn't get to go on my houseboat trip this spring due to work (dang it!), but last spring (around Mother's Day) I caught just shy of 200 bass in 6 days on Barkley...mostly largemouth, some smallies and some spotted bass...Largest bass caught was a 5+ lb largemouth...pretty decent numbers...

When we're there most EVERYBODY is crappie fishing...it's pretty rare to see any "water scooters" with bass fisherman...oh, wait...they only have those scooters in Canada! lol

az

Hey guys, i live only 50 miles from the potomac. It is rated as one of the 10 best rivers in the country. It has both small and largemouths. there is a b.a.s.s. or blf tourny here all the time. the river offers 180 miles of fresh tidal water and it has everyting to offer for a good family trip, washin gton dc. But i am jaded since i live so close. Smith mountain is another good lake in va as well as kerr/gaston.

just my opionion... But if it semi close to me. im there

mike

I'll stick with Ky Lake or Dale Hollow. Always wanted to fish either one. I have a friend who has fished both, and he just loves 'em. Drives down there every year, 4 times a year. Unfortunately, he's thinking about moving to Kentucky, so there goes the one fishin buddy I can count on for a "ride".

Craig

Craig... If it's in Kentucky...drive down to Chicago and ride down with me... I've got a four door SuperCrew F150 plenty of room and a bigg enough boat!

I could make a Rally at Kentucky Lake or Barkley. Looked at them on a map the other day and realized they're fairly close (5 hours, maybe). My ears really perked up when Andy mentioned crappie fishin'!

Marke and Andy, if you're there and I can make it, I'll see if I can wrangle that special tool to install locks and deck lids if you want!

MO, You just caught my attention...LOL

I don't know if I could find Kentucky on a blank map, but if you'll install them locks for me I'll get there. I'll ride down with Rob, Buzz and Bob G. Actually, I would probably drive down with those guys and not bring my boat.

I'm not going to tow MY TV-18 if I could have the honor of fishing from yours or Andy's.

Marke

I think you'll be disappointed after riding in Mac's boat and BassnFools Avalanche. She won't even break 60.

But hey, if I'm there and you're there, sure! Maybe we could convince Andy Z to come along and we could tag-team the rest of 'em!

Disappointed? Me? Mo, I have fished from a leaky paddle boat in 45 degree water just to catch fish and I had a great time doing it. There is NO WAY I would be disapointed fishing from your boat.

Marke

Back