$20,000 - What would you get

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Expanding the garage to 9 feet is a go so no more worries about width. The length however is around 21'9" so I can't have much more than a 19-20 foot boat. So, between now and spring if you had $20,000 for a boat in the used market what would you buy with all the bankruptcies going on?

I want something I could use in a bass tournament if I wanted to but probably unlikely to enter any as a pro. In WBT, a few women use 18' 150hp's so that is probably the least boat I could have. I loved my Ranger Reata fish and ski (aside from the crap I had to fix), sold it because I got laid off, wish I hadn't. I get torn because most of my fishing is recreational and I hang on the lake alot so the back seat is very nice to bring people along. I guess what I am trying to say is the likelyhood of me using this boat in tournament fishing is about 10%, 30% use for hanging out in a cove with friends, 60% fishing.

What would you buy? Believe it or not, the boat I buy I plan on keeping because I can't afford to switch like I used to.

make sure you account for the fact that a 19ft rig on the trailer and with the motor will be more like 22-24ft long with a swing away trailer.

Teri - For my $0.02 cents and your stated uses I would go with a fish & ski. Would recommend if you can find one with a four-stroke. I have a Yamaha 150 on the back of my 24 ft Bennington Pontoon and wish I had it on my Nitro. It is a GREAT engine. This ethanol issue is tearing up 2-strokes. A 150 is plenty big enough for the F&S. Just my opinion. Good luck in the hunt!

Teri,

I agree with dchance. I have a Nitro 901 which is about 19', but with the motor tilted down and the swing away tongue, I am about 23 1/2'.

RoyC

I'd get an 18 footer with a 150 - Brand of your choice on both boat and motor. For many years before BASS lifted HP restrictions, that size boat was the norm. You can buy a heck of a used rig for $20K, and that size is perfectly acceptable for tournaments. To those that scoff at the length - tell them either to buy their own boat, or if they already own one - fish as a boater in the next tournament. I had no problems fishing tournaments out of an 18 footer with a 150 for many years, and my non-boaters all were comfortable. It's all in how you set it up. With the motor trimmed down, and the swing away tongue, you should just be able to squeeze most any 18 footer in, depending on brand design and jackplate setback. It's going to be a tight fit though. My boat is 20' long, and I have a 10" jackplate. With my motor left up and the swing away tongue, I need 24'. I can get away with another foot or so less with the motor down.

Whatever you buy - measure it first.

All the best,

Glenn

Ditto on what Glenn said. You should be able to find a real nice 18' boat in that price range used.

If you decide to go a little shorter then 18' let me know. I know of a 176 triton for sale thats a steal and not too far away from you.

I am still considering 17-18 foot boats as I haven't started on the garage. A lady I fish with in the WBT is selling the 2008 Triton Explorer 18 (18.6 feet) she won for cheap cuz she won another one this year. It would fit in my garage and is 1.5 feet bigger than what I have now which means I would actually have rod lockers. Only thing is it comes with a 115 Optimax. 4 years of warranty left and the boat has everything. I could buy it for about what I could sell my Skeeter for and NOT fix the garage.

Jim, what type of motor is on the 176?

Teri, it has a 115 evinrude on it with ~50 hours. Check the link below for some pics. its a 2003 and its in really, really good shape. Its in almost new condition and needs nothing but a new home. He's asking 10k for it.
http://www.nesmallmouth.com/jbrownonline/david/

Teri - If you really only think its 10% chance you'll use it for tourney's, and you've had a bunch of both F/S and bass boats, which one do you use more? Sounds like the F/S. It wouldn't fit in your garage but would fit the bill as an option would be a 911, with 4 across seating HUGE front deck, A LOT out there for well under $20k, good sized rear deck...

Now the other thought, is can you keep your car outside and go bothways, a 19ft bassboat and a 18ft bow rider??

Here are a few I found quickly:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-NITRO-nx898-95401484

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Nitro-901-CDX-SC-95432831

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-NITRO-901-CDX-92916620

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-NITRO-911-CDC-95856445

I've always been a fan of the Triton F&S's. Believe you had one too? Lots of front fishing deck space with rear seating. They come in an 18' version that can handle a 150hp. Should be some nice used ones around. I also agree with Bill on the 4-stroke. Went out with a guide yesterday on Lake Anna and he had a 150 Yammie four stroke. Man, that sucker was quiet! And pushed around a tri-toon no problem!

NEVERMIND - CONTRACTORS SUCK!

Guy said he had another job when I called him today. I asked him when he would be available and he blew me off. I had another guy come out today that told me something totally different than the other guy. Didn't really care for him.

I've decided for now this is not money well spent. Maybe I will do it if I ever decide to tournament fish. Until then, I can settle for a smaller boat. Considering the Triton Explorer my friend has.

I had a contractor blow me off a few months ago. Saw the guy yesterday who recommended him, told him about it, he said oh I can call him, why bother.

Good luck on the boat hunt, shoot you will be back in an NX750 if you are not careful!

Heck I do wish I still had the NX750. Lol!

Teri,

get yourself a boat with a good tarp and park it outside. This is the best time to buy, so if you can do it. Get yourself some good insurance park it outside and don't worry.

P

Many many boats out there Teri. You should consider Clay Dyers Ranger (if its still available). A 2007 520 loaded up like that is a steal @ $22.5k you might be able to deal with him too.

I was seriously thinking about getting it....but I think its a single console.

I thought Clay was sponsored by Stratos? I would also look at a Z7. 18+ footer that fishes like a 19 footer.

To be sure on length if you do fix the garage, most manufacturers have the package lengths posted on their website, or you can google it.

I am with dchance, look at the Z-7, mine does not take up much more room than the NX750 did. And it handles the bigger water like a dream.

My NX750 barely fit in my garage. The Z7 will not fit width-wise. I dont even think the X5 would fit. X5 package width is right at 96" and the Z7 is 8'6". Sux to have my garage but I love my house.

is renting a storage space for the boat out of the question?? No idea what they cost?!:(

I was paying $129 per month to store my Ranger outside under a carport. Not in the budget. I just feel that is wasted money.

That is nuts.......i've seen covered locked and secured (gated) storage places up here for less than that. (Atleast the Ads say so...but they don't mention sq.ft either,...could be $100/mo for a foot locker!!..LOL)

It was a gated storage place with a huge carport with individual parking spaces for boats. $129. Uncovered places were $100. I could store it in a boat lot for $70-85 but not secure. I just like having it at home.

Teri, why cant you park the boat in your driveway?

Homeowners Association rules from hell and people who don't have anything better to do but enforce them.

Ah.... Im not a fan of those HA nazis. I will never live where there is one if i can at all help it.

Teri....park it outside, put some flower pots around it.

What is the fine print in your HA agreement does it specifically say "Boat" ?

Latest posts

Back