1st EVERSTART NORTHERN DIVISION

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
Last year when Rob was thinking he would be fishing all the northern Everstarts I invited him to stay at the house here and signed up as a co-angler.Things have a way of changing as is the case .Family always comes first and whatever it takes to magnify that.aka job,house etc.

So anyway I will be fishing as a co-angler in what will be my first contact with the Everstart.I am looking forward to it and hope I pull a good pro. At the same time I will be keeping in mind some of the less positive things I've heard about some of the pro's.Tonite is the registration/meeting so I will know who I draw.

Had it not been for Rob I probably would have never thought of signing up.Which I'm now glad I did.The only thing that could have made it better would be if rob could hsve made it. Next year, the invitation is a standing one.

Thanks again Rob.

Good Luck man,...and don't worry about things you can't control....just be yourself and throw your confidence baits!! (I fished with a well known Pro in a BASS Top 100 on 'Clair a few years ago and 15mins into our first "stop" I was up 3 fish to his none,..he finally asked me if I'd share my jigs and tubes with him!!..LOL..and yes,..I weighed in more than he did that day,...so don't be affraid to do your own thing,..you may teach a thing or two to him/her!!..and trust me,..they'll thank you for it!! But NOT on the stage in front of 100 other "PRO's!"..LMAO!!!)

You'll do fine!!

Mac

Mac,

Do you think it would be worthwhile for you two to talk a little about etiquette for co=angler's. I know we have some expectations over on the walleye side that aren't stated in the rules... what to bring, etc. Also, at least in the walleye tourneys the ams usually pitch i a few $$ to the pro for gas, etc... don't know about the bass tourneys...

Hey Mark.. good luck...

Good luck Mark! Pounds plus!

Rich D

Good point Greg. I always gave my pro in the Pro/Am 35 bucks for gas etc.In the BFL this year I 'm lucky to get 20 from a co-angler.

What is the norm for the Everstart ? how much should I pitch -in? I know thewre costs are greater.

And thanks for the confidence and good lucks!

Greg,...the FLW will cover all of that in the meeting...

Mark,...just ask your Pro what and where you'll be fishing and plan accordingly. $20 for gas is considered the norm,...but at $2/gal,.....I wouldn't hesitate to offer more..use your own discretion depending on how far you run... but offer $20 at the MINIMUM!! Just take 3-5 rods and 1 tackle bag,..and your rainsuit!! You may even offer to bring a lunch for both of you (some eat,..some don't)..but I've met Mark before and he's as curteous and generous as they come....you'll have a great time I'm sure!

Also,..an FYI for Mark,..Ask the Pro to give you a 2-3min "warning" before he/she decides to move locations,..and BE READY when they want to move....the heads up notice will give you time to put your stuff away and get organized...when they want to move,..they don't waste time, so be ready first,..and you'll have no problems!

"I've met Mark before and he's as curteous and generous as they come"

Absolutely!

Mark Gross is First Class Plus!!

I am humbled by your comments.I will also heed the advice. Thanks guys.

Good luck Gross, you'll do great. Be careful of that no cull rule out there. Think long and hard before dropping a fish in the livewell. It's a gamble for sure.

Mac had great advice, and when it comes to gas, if I'm running say 90 miles one way to fish, and spending over $150 in gas, I don't find it the co's responsibility to flip half the bill. They have no say over where we go, so it's not his or her job to pay half the gas if I choose to run all over creation. I usually expect $20-30 and that's about it.

But like Mac said, don't bring too much tackle, and whatever you do, DON'T throw to your pros fish, especially if he is actively working it or just raised it and is reaching for a follow up bait. Bad juju!

And like Mac said, do your own thing, or throw something totally different from the back of the boat. And don't be afraid to lob it out into open water, ask Doug what happened last year when he did that after I caught a 3.5 lber on a dock....he caught a 5+!!!

Tear it up buddy.

As far as asking for the warning,....when I fished with Morizu Shumizu last year on KY Lk, it was no problem......at that time he knew very little english...he may very well have understood what we were saying,..but he couldn't speak very much at all,...so it was a really quiet day for the most part, but I got very use to hearing "WE GO NOW!"....ahahahahhaa........he's a helluva fisherman though!

I GO NOW!!!

Later,

Mac

Hey Gross, give us the rundown on what you had to go through to get in. Take us through the journey. Some others of us may be interested in trying it. How much did it cost, what type of paperwork, was there a waiting list etc, etc.

Wolf

Wolfcount,

There was no waiting list,atleast for this tournament when I called.You have to be a member of the FLW OUTDOORS.Cost was 250.00 as a co-angler.650.00 for pro. I called early in the year, as soon as the schedule was posted.To fish as a pro is a little more complicated.

I'm looking for it to be a learning experiance,atleast the first time.

At one point I was going to drop it and called the director,after talking to him for awhile he talked me back into it!lol

Latest posts

Back