1996 Nitro 170 TF Wire connections on battery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Eastman

Reaction score
I purchased a 1996 Nitro 170 TF and there were no batteries installed so I had to buy new ones and install them. One battery had only a positive and negative cable to attach so it was self explanatory. The other side however has a total of five wires to attach. The main two cables are easy to determine positive and negative. It is the other three cables that are confusing. There are two small black and one small red. The red is clearly a positive, but it doesn't make sense to me for there to be more negatives than positives, but I have the two small black wires attached to the negative side. I attached the wires to negative due to they are black. Do I have this attached properly?

My Trolling Motor is a Tracker Pro Series 35. I do not believe I have an on-board battery Charger, how do I get one? My assumption is that the alternator will charge both batteries. I just got this boat and it's my first boat, so I know nothing! My biggest problem right now is a warning alarm that gives off a contant beep! Most places say this could be the oil lever senser or the temp sensor, but both appear to be working properly.

Larry,

I have the same model with a 125 Merc. I love it! I am not sure that I can help you with the alarm, but I may have some insight into the batteries. Do you have 3-batteries or two? Also, you refer to the 5 wires as 2 being the main cables - these as Toxic states are the wires for the trolling motor. The other 3 you refer to as "small." By small are you referring to the gauge or length of the wire?

If you could snap a photo of your rear compartment and post it to this thread it may be easier to ID what you have going on in the back.

I too am a new boat owner. I have had mine for a year. I have a bunch of friend that own boats, and with there help and the great insight of this forum I have really learned a ton!

Feel free to call me as well...I am in MN.

Mike

We need to figure out your TM setup. The big motor will only charge your starting battery so if you have more than 1 battery most likely it was charged with an external charger. An on-board charger is pretty hard to miss, it's a box with lights and a male plug. Normally it is mounted in the rear compartment.

Latest posts

Back