WOOHOO!!!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harrison

Reaction score
Well guys, and girls, I got my old Tracker wet for the first time in almost 2 years today. Took a quick drive over to Truman Lake, no foul-ups at the ramp, turned the key and VROOOOM!!!!!!! Moved the throttle forward and she shifted up and started moving out. It was such an exciting moment. After getting that new lower unit installed and hoping all was well I idled past the "no wake" bouys and new I was at the judgement point. Turned the Kansas City Royals hat around backwards and slammed the throttle all the way down, the front end picked up, the backend started rising up and before I knew it I was full throttle and full speed (31 mph by the speedo, the most inaccurate piece of equipment in a boat besides the fisherman). I ran the old Johnson screaming for about 5 miles, backed off made a wide turn and throttled back up in mid turn and ripped down the lake again. Boy did I miss the water. I did stop a few times and threw some baits, but the bass weren't cooperating. My arms and face are now sunburnt and I couldn't be happier.

During my attempt to fish, a few A-10's from Whiteman AFB were flying around really low circling back and forth. I've heard they run real slow and low and use the Truman Dam as a target during training and practice. I kept hoping for a close shot ( I was close to the dam) so I could snap a shot with the digital camera, but it never happened. Later, I heard them flying and looked up and it seemed like a passenger jet with two A-10's on either side in some kind of formation. It probably wasn't a civilian aircraft, but it was still interesting to see. A few years back my father and I were WAY back down the Pomme River arm of Truman when we heard the A-10's flying and one even banked right at the bend we were fishing at I swear by all that is holy, I thought his wing was going to dip into the lake as he banked around that corner. I could even see the pilot's white helmet with what I would guess were stickers on top. That's how damn close they were to us. I'm glad they are on our side cuz my dad and I could have been blown up.

Anyway, enough of my long post about nothing important. Just remember, glass is pretty, tin is too, but it doesn't take something new and shiny to scoot across the water. I leave you with a picture of the oldest registered Tracker on here and it's even older outboard.

Mike Harrison aka StanAramus the Great :blink:

PS. I think just about every bolt and screw has loosened even more after this trip. The comfort of the ride is the ONLY thing I'd trade with my ol' tinbote.

runnin.gif

If it floats... it fishes... And, believe me, the fish don't care...

BTW, I've got a 20hp Johnson about the same vintage 1972 that pushes my backup duck boat... It's as reliable as it was the day I bought it in 1972...

Congrats Mike,

Glad to hear everything works..

Did you get to do any fishing?? Catch anything?.

Crappie should be starting..

KC Star said SmithVill was good for crappie last week.

Never been on Truman Lake. Maybe later this year..

Hit Melver in KS last Sun. and froze my :( off-- Did not get a bit..

Take care-- Rick :cool:

Glad to hear the that you finnaly made it back to the water that has been calling your name for two long years. How did it feel? Glad to hear it ran great and that you even got to wet a line. As for the age of the boat, can the fish auctually tell? NO. Personally an older rig to me has more character and MOJO wrapped all up into one package than some of the newer boats out there.

Congrats on the return to the call of the water.

T.S.

Old Trackers don't die...They just smell a little fishier:p

Latest posts

Back