Winterize

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Lambeth

Reaction score
It's almost that time of the year where my boat gets to sit in the garage for 5 months (if I'm lucky).

Should I leave the gas tank empty or full over the winter?

Fill it up and add fuel stabilizer. Be sure to let your engine run for at least ten minutes so your motor will be protected also. Chris F.

Its easy in Winter, just add a little Stabil, make sure the tires are at the right pressure, find your hooded sweatshirt and maybe a FishHedz mask, and just remember to have a thermos of coffee in the boat when you launch. I mean 35 degree's in February is pretty cold till the sun comes up!!! LOL :D

OK I can SEE the cabin fever starting up north and the smart a$$ comments from the South comming!! OH WHERE is spring??? Oh I remember, Nov/Dec are the best month's i've had in GA fishing!!!! BWWWAAAA

Dave - Gonna have to leave you to Chris, Mac, Mike L, Greg and the rest of the Yankee's!!

I am not sure how long stabil works. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking it only lasted 90 days.

Either way, I believe Seafoam would be a better choice. It does everything including keeping gas fresh, removing water, removes carbon build up, lifts sticky rings, etc.

I run Seafoam in everything I own.

Personally i use sta-bil and i leave the tank as empty as i can. The reason i do this is so that i can fill it with fresh gas come spring and not risk it being stale.

Trep, dont worry about us northerners. We got plenty to do for the winter. Snow sports like skiing, snomobiling, sleding, snowball fights. Indoor sports like hanging with the woman spending "quality time".... See its not all bad up here.... And when spring comes and the 5# smallies are biting every lure in sight it makes the winter layover all worth it...:p

RUSTY, on the back of the sta-bil contaner it states " keeps fuel fresh for 12 months, removes water and bla bla bla"

i use sta-bil in all my gas and havn't had a problem yet.

and when i picked up the new boat they mentioned putting sta-bil in every tank full -- all summer long also

Aww yes the quality winter time with the wife snuggled :wub: in watching the games together during a blizzard. Not a funner way to pass time till spring.

Rusty - Jimfc3 is correct in that stabil will keep your fuel fresh for up to a year with the recommended dose. If you double the dose, the stabil will keep fuel fresh for twice as long (that's also on the label). Untreated gas will break down after 90 days.

Don't forgot to run the engine to make sure treated gas is in the engine system. Use a fogging oil to coat the cylinders; clean, wash and wax the boat one last time, not forgetting the engine cowling since its painted too! (don't bother with wax for unpainted aluminum rigs!); empty the boxes, prop the lids up a bit to take care of moisure; run appropriate antifreeze through the livewell and bilge pumps; ensure the speedo tube is clear; lower the motor the whole way (preventing water in the prop - heck, you may even want to pull the prop); pull the batteries and stick them on a smart charger inside the house; and be jealous of Bill in VA when he posts his wintertime fishing reports! :D:D

Hey Jim c. - I winterize! I always put Stabil in my gas tanks all year long. I do the full winterization on the big boat and the jetski, but the bass boat loves the winter on the lake!

:p:p

Does anyone else drain the carb bowls? Is it nessesary, or is the sta-bil enough? I Have been doing it for the last 20 years.

Gene

I run sta-bil all year long then add a little more than recommended to a full tank when it hibernates.

Dave, Jim C.'s recommendations are just what I do. Some say empty gas tank, some say fill it. Who knows? I store mine 2/3's full so I can top it off with fresh gas in the spring. So far so good!

Same here......I just add Stabil to FULL tanks and make sure the lower unit is completely drained....I also leave the motor vertical (no toter) so ALL the water can get out. I also pour some vanilla extract into the cooler and livewells then wipe them out with a rag......that gets rid of the summer's funk,..don't want to put her to bed with crappie breath!!:wacko::blink:

I drain my carbs on the last trip of the year. After loading it onto the trailer, I unplug the fuel line and let it idle untill it stalls.

Change the lower unit oil, and store it with the motor down. I usually run Stabil all year long as I don't burn a whole lot of gas.

Every time I do a whole big "winterizing" we get beautiful days and I end up putting her back into the water. Now I just do the bare minimum.

I change the lower unit oil, add stabil and some oil to the gas (in case I get invited to the Hot Side) drain everything, leave the Guest charger plugged in, (so it's ready to go at a moments notice)

BF

I winterize my rig by putting a hooded sweatshirt in the compartment:lol::lol: And for those of you who do winterize, you leave your tanks full to minimize on condensation in the tank.

TOXIC

In addition to the stabil i also fog it, change the lower unit oil, remove all my stuff and batteries. I also get it shrinkwrapped for the long winter layover. My boat will sit from this weekend to april sometime and it sits outside. The shrink does a nice job keeping it dry.

In the past i have never filled the tank and never had a problem with condensation on any of my boats. I have been told that is more of an issue on metal tanks then it is on the plastic ones we have. Everybody has a different way of doing things so who knows what is the correct way.

One thing i know for sure, this year im going to drain the tank dry. From what i have read on Merc's site they say if there is alcohol in the fuel(unavoidable in my area) the best idea is to drain the tank if you can. They say the fuel can seperate and that will cause major problems. I only have maybe 5 gallons in the boat to draining it will be pretty easy. I like to err on the safe side whenever i can.

I have never "drained" the float bowls on the carbs either but i think i will if there is a drain. Personally i dont like the idea of running it out of gas because on a 2 stroke thats also denying it lubrication for that last but if running. I dont know if running it out will hurt it but it but id rather not risk it.

Dont forget moth balls around the open area around the cover to keep out the critters.

Back