Why Nitro?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Chance

Reaction score
May test the water and trade in on a more current boat. Considering Nitro, Skeeter, Ranger, Champion, and Bass Cat. Why should I go with another Nitro? I currently run an 02 901. Why should I consider a newer Nitro. How are the newer ones different than what I have. I cannot get anything larger than 19 ft.

You should consider a new Nitro (or any of the other boats you listed) because YOU like them. I know that's not what you want to see on the board, but it's the most honest truth I can write. There will be some here that love Nitro (where's KB? :lol: ) over anything on the planet. There are followers of the others too.

I've recently looked at boats. Not because I am going to get another one anytime soon. I can't afford to right now, and mine is treating me just fine for the moment. But if you want opinions, here is what I think of the newest boats from those you listed.

Nitro - good strong boat for the money. Good ride. Decent speed. But there are some things that have me shy away from them. The quality of some of the plastic parts on the dash are one turn off. My biggest thing with Nitro has to do with the dealerships. I realize more people crawl through Nitro's and Trackers every day - more than other brands at other dealerships. But if I were running a Nitro/Tracker dealership, I'd ensure that any broken parts are fixed before the next days opening. Every time I've been at BPS lately, I see several boats with broken pieces - buttons, knobs, plastic, etc... I know it's the customers that are mistreating them, but it's a huge turn-off for me when I see that on a brand new showroom boat.

Skeeter - never liked the legroom in a Skeeter. Plus, I'm a Merc man. Last time I talked to a Skeeter rep, I got turned off by all the things that would "void my warranty". Everything I said - he replied with "Well, you could do that, but you would risk voiding your warranty." Too bad too, because they make a really nice looking boat that is well laid out.

Ranger - price tag. If I had the money - it would be no question... I'd own a Ranger - particularly the Z520. Ohhhhhh maaaaaannnnnn.... That's one awesome machine. But Ranger sure is proud of their boats. The price tags make my stomache hurt.

Champion - never seen a showroom. I've seen them on the water, and heard lots of good things about them, but I've never driven one, and to tell the truth, they always seemed kind of "plain" to me. I've heard the rough water ride was good, but I wouldn't know. I haven't driven one to see.

Bass Cat - Also expensive like the Ranger, but I could actually afford one that I looked at the last time I was in a BC showroom. I like Cat's - well laid out, nice looking rigs that perform well for their owners. I've been told that their customer service is the best, and recently I checked it out for myself as I bought some BC battery trays for my boat (only company that carried the ones I wanted). If I were to have the cash to buy a affordable, well built boat right now - it would be a BassCat.

So... if we are talking "opinions", and also "cash is no object", my choices would be:

1) Ranger Z520 (198 VX for a 19 footer)

2) Bass Cat Cougar FTD (Pantera II for a 19 footer - + 1")

3) Skeeter I20 (ZX190 for a 18'5")

4) Nitro Z9 (Z7 for a 18'7")

5) Champion ??? (Cause I don't know enough about them to make a decision on them)

Cash being an object, the choices become 2,3,1,4,5.

But then again - that is simply my likes. Don't go by what I or anyone else thinks of the boat - go check them all out for yourself. Otherwise, you might be in a new Ranger and ride in a Nitro and think "Dang it - I like this better!"... and then you will be really hurt when you go home and remind yourself of how much your monthly boat note is. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Recently I have met three guys that have bought new boats. I know these guys, not a lot of money and are VERY particular. They all three bought Bass Cats! They wanted Ranger's but couldn't see paying that much. Two had Ranger's that they traded in!!!!!

I didn't ride in them but they sure look well laid out and all the finishing touches are very nice. I can see they put a lot of thought into their purchases as they will each (they claim) have them a long time!

Randy!

Derek - Glenn said it best. Boils down to personal preference. I happen to really like tin - a lot! So I ended up with a G3 HP180 when I was ready to move on from my PT175. Would have stuck with the Tracker, but I wanted a bit more room in the boat and a slightly bigger engine (if you can call going from a 40hp to a 150hp "slightly"! :lol:).

On glass boats, I've always admired the Rangers, but like Glenn, the price makes my head spin!! That said, don't forget the used boat market is pretty darned good right now. Lots of folks wanting to get rid of their rigs (and accompanying bank notes). Also, I'm sure that in this economy, the dealers are also looking to unload stock.

I've gone with Nitro mainly due to cost and layout. If you go with a new Nitro, go to a dealer and not BPS.

Rangers are nice, but I could almost buy two Nitro's for what one Ranger cost.

I don't have enough experience to comment on Champions.

Skeeters are nice, but I don't like the ride in a slight chop or the layout.

Basscat is one I would look at along with Nitro just because of their reputation for customer service helping the resale.

You could also find great deals on prostaff boats from all brands in the fall. Most of the better deals will be 30%-35% below new cost and loaded. Limiting yourself to 19 foot will considerably lessen the number of these boats, but they are still out there along with certificates for new boats(another great deal).

What does Nitro do the best? Storage space is unequaled, livewells are the best out there. Deck space is unmatched especially the width.

I'd even tell you they are one of the more innovative lines. In 98 all 9 series had recessed foot pedals, 05 Galvashield tube steel trailers and retractable safety chains. Switched LED lighting on Z boats and under console storage. RPS transom's on the Z8s.

Good performace and good ride. Basscats will out run a Nitro, they should they are narrower and lighter, Skeeter's are about the same, Ranger's and Champions will be slower.

I have been impressed with the quality of my Z9, and I like the changes they have made in 09MY to the Z8 and Z9. Nitro meets with there team guys every year to see what they can improve in there boats, some of the 09 MY changes were from our 07 meeting. That has also impressed me.

I am on my 2nd Tracker Marine product, a 2000 Pro Crappie I only sold because a great deal on a dual console Nitro 700lx came up and I needed a 2nd console for my son when we fish. I have had a guy in a new 188 Ranger ask me what my Nitro cost, as he thought he got a good deal on his Ranger, he had a heart attack when I told him mine was a '99! Looks great, runs great, solid as a rock!

For a 17ft boat its wide, and as BMCD said, HUGE storage for a boat that size - 2 rod lockers, center storage, 2 huge rear boxes, under seat storage, area for 4 batteries in the bilge... Only thing i'd trade my 700lx for would be a 911 with a 250xb (ya hear that Sim!!!), course that would require me to replace my Hemi powered Dodge Magnum which ain't happenin!!

In 4 years owning the boat the only repairs have been to the motor as wear/tear...Not bad for a 10 year old boat!!

in fact I thought I had a problem as she wouldn't rev over 2000 rpms at take off last night, took it to a marina this AM they figured out it wasen't anything except the Hot Foot stop screw worked its way up so I was only getting 1/2 throttle, the point being when I picked the boat up the mechanic who fixed it and did an on water test said "Wow that little boat FLYIES I had her up in the mid-50's, that is screaming for a small 10 yearold boat!"

I run a 2000 929 and it has been an absolute workhorse, I pull it all over the country and put it in the worst water imaginable and it always gets me home safe (and most of the time dry!!). It is my guide boat and clients have a way of putting a lot of wear and tear on the cosmetic things; carpet, seats, motor cowling, etc., but my rig is THE most dependable boat I have ever owned. As a matter of fact, I'll be towing it to Wisconsin and back from Virginia here in a couple of weeks. I was going to leave it home this year but my daughter threw a fit, so I get to go over the road with it again. I'm due for a new boat and have mine for sale but you can bet I won't be paying retail for any new purchase of a showroom boat if that's what I decide to do. Would I own another NITRO? YES!! In a heartbeat, but unfortunately their program for prostaff does not extend to me as a Bass Pro Shops prostaffer. I could get into their boat program (I was at one time), but let's just say that the time commitment and discount aren't very attractive to me. There are other options for me that equate to a much better deal in the boat world.

TOXIC

Back