White Oxidiation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I've got some oxidation problems on the pedestal base on my drivers side seat. White powdery stuff looks like battery acid where the carpet meets the metal on the pedestal base. The aluminum base is actually etched. Only half the base is affected. Cleaned it up with some 409 but what the???? Anyone help me out? Gonna ask the Tracker guys when I go to work in a few minutes but am not expecting them to have any idea.

BTW the boat is a 07 Tracker Tundra.:(

fatrap

Bi-Metallic (Galvanic) corrosion. You have an aluminum base being held down with stainless steel screws. It happens when those two metals are exposed to a conducting corrosive liquid (saltwater, brackish water, sweat, etc... - it could be as simple as the salt from a soft plastic worm combined with fresh water from the lake made "saltwater" and landed on the surface) Basically, it created a type of weak battery. Current flows from the anode (aluminum) to the cathode (stainless steel), which increases corrosion on the anode (aluminum). Just keep it clean.

All the best,

Glenn

Thats probably exactly what it is. Arm and Hammer on the way. Thanks guys.

fatrap

I know this is an old post but did it work? I have the same issue with my Swivl-Eze wedge bases that I just replaced less than a year ago when I put in marine vinyl. I take the seats out of the base because in the past they became stuck in there and mistakenly they were placed over the bases. Moisture turned the bases black and also some white oxidation developed.

Latest posts

Back