When is a rain check (BPS), not a rain check?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I reported last week that myself and a buddy got a rain check for the Model 70 trolling motor that they had run out of. When given, we were told - 'good anytime', just come in when you want it and we'll honor it. No expiration date is on the rain check, either.

We both got a call last night (mine was a message) from BPS, that the new shipment of trolling motors had come in. My buddy said he was going to wait till later in the year. He was then told it wasn't good 'forever', and he needed to get the unit soon.

I'll be calling them today. My plan is to pick it up in April, after my next two trips.

If need be, I'll get it sooner, but a little displeased with this situation.

Tex

Tex, When is a good deal not a good deal? All three of us were kinda happy about getting $150 off this TM, however the price is good for all! BPS online changed the original price to $399.98, so in hindsight I don't see a rush in getting it at this point.

Also how inferior is this model to the MG Freshwater series 70lb thrust that is more expensive? I know it's the same mount but the motor must be of lesser grade!

Interesting point on the change in price. If they leave it at $399, I'll just bide my time. I would still like to get it and put it on, but we'll have to see.

Things change. As John Fox (Panthers coach) is fond of saying, 'it is what it is'.

I'll have to check the various specs on the freshwater series comparision.

Tex

At lease you get a call back

I have done the raincheck thing a number at least 3 times at Auburn Hill mIchigan. Not once have I gotten a call back saying the item was in.

Tex - Buddy! Help me out here. When you decided on purchasing the advertised trolling motor, it was with your friend after your initial visit to the store at the beginning of the Spring Classic sale. Correct?

During the next visit, after they were sold out near the end of the event, you were given a rain check as a courtesy, to allow you the same sale price offered during the classic when the stocks can be replenished. The store turned around and got the item in for you (and others) and notified you that it was in. What is wrong with that?

First (and most importantly) - Yes, you can get it in April with your rain check, providing it's still available and in stock. (Completely up to Motorguide to continue manufacturing and supplying.) I would call first and have them hold one before going to the store.

Second - I know of no retailer in the known universe that can offer a rain check good "forever". Models change, vendors get replaced, yada, yada, yada...

Third (and final) - It sounds as if the store is in a "danged if they do and danged if they don't" situation, for whatever the reason. If they don't have an item available towards the end of a sale, people get "displeased" that the store didn't forsee their particular needs to have enough on hand for them OR, as in this case, they offer to get the item ASAP to satisfy the previous need only to be told that the item is not wanted right now, but when it is, it will be expected to be available at the sale price days/weeks/months earlier.

I don't mean to seem argumentative, but after reading your initial post under "Dealer Service Issues", these were the thoughts that came to mind. If you have any problem getting your raincheck (or your buddy's) filled, please let me know.

Dan J, maybe you could clarify something, that TM that Tex is speaking of. I was told it's "made for tracker boats" and no modifications would be needed. That's not exactly the case, and as you could imagine, once you order a TM from BPS via ground UPS, it's a task returning it.

In any event I called BPS tech/customer support today and asked if this particular TM was the 12v/24v type motors or was it just straight 24v, and did not get a definitive answer. This may be because I'm not knowledgable when it comes to these TM's.

But do you know how I could find out for sure?

The item is Internet # 38-523-372-00 , model # Pro 70.

Thanks,

Chris

CJL - It's "made for Tracker boats" as in it will directly bolt up to the existing hole pattern of the Tracker series TM factory installed with the Tracker pkg. boats. The only possible change will be the particular plug connection. I'll be in the store tomorrow and will make sure, but I am almost positive it is a straight 24V. If different I'll post a reply tomorrow.

Dan,

Appreciate the response, and the thoughts. When we were given the rainchecks, we were told several things.

1) Though we take your number, we may not be able to call back, due to the volume of rainchecks we have given out. Please call us next week sometime, to see if they have come in.

Very nice. No problem with me calling back. And I appreciated the call I got last night.

2) In response to our question on length of time the rain check was good for. BPS - Forever. If you don't want to get it next week, just come back in anytime in the future, and we will honor it, given that we have it in stock.

Totally appreciated, and understood. No mfg/retailer can promise the exact model indefinitely. However, we were told by that sales person, the above information. He even added, that we could wait till later this summer, or further in the year, as long as they still had them.

My buddy was put off when he got his call last night. It seemed that the person that called him, indicated he had a short time frame to get it, or he would 'lose' the right to redeem it.

I'll probably call them back tomorrow (still tied up today), and want to get it closer to April's check. If need be, I'll go pick it up sometime next week or on Sunday. I won't be able to install it, till the first of April, regardless - due to tournaments and such.

Appreciate your willingness to help.

Tex

Thanks Dan J, hopefully I didn't overstep by asking you a BPS question on a Board you participate in for pleasure.

No problemo Tex! Most importantly, we need to get your TM for you. The time frame we strive for our customers is two weeks. We then make it available to all on the shelf as store stock. Raincheck items are held in secluded inventory solely for the person on the claim form. That means a backstock can fill rapidly of items unclaimed if held indefinitely. If they give you any hesitation on redeeming your raincheck in April, just drop me a line.

CJL - Anytime! Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Chris,

The freshwater series is both 12/24v, and also is Pinpoint Sonar compatible. That is certainly one of the differences (sonar compatibility).

Tex

Thanks Dan. Since I know they hold items in a special place, I'll try and make arrangements to get it. I didn't know that.

Well, I've learned my one thing for the week. Brain is full now.

Shutting down . . . .

Been a loooonnnnnngggggg week.

Tex

CJL and Tex - Just got off the phone with my buddy, the Marine/Camping Mgr. (ATL). The Pro 70 is a straight 24V and comes w/ the "mini Gator II" mount with the same Tracker installed plug. It should be an easy bolt up and plug in like the stock unit being replaced. Enjoy!!

Dave - That plug is used for a variety of 12, 12/24, and 24V connections, but I've been assured that the Pro 70 is a straight 24V. In the box, there should also be an installation manual that can confirm the voltage. Check the breaker listing in addition to make sure your boat is up to par. Enjoy!

Dan J thanks for the info, Mine came via UPS today, wow that was quick.

BTW-I wish I could enjoy, but I live in the Frozen North! At least another 3 weeks!

Dave - It would be much easier to unscrew the plug in hand in your photo and use your existing plug after changing your battery routing. I'd modify the TM plug, not the boat connection. If necessary, your dealer or BPS should have an exact match to your plug needed to keep your receptacle as is, again after the 24V wiring change. Good luck!

Added text: The plug shown will fit many Tracker models, however, not all of them.

Great points on the 24 vs 12, and the plug. Mine is set for 12/24, but I run it on 24 all the time anyway. I'm sure that I can probably re-wire the recptacle on the bow.

Just a note. I went to BPS on line. They have changed the price of the motor to $399.88. Period. Not a sale price, but an advertised price. Makes one wonder though . . . .

Regardless, still seems to be a good deal.

Tex

Dave, I opened my TM box and found the same biblical size plug!. In any event the plug only has (2) 8 guage wires going into it, not four or three, same as my current MG TM.

Next topic for me is if I should change out the stock 8 guage TM harness for 6 guage? Is it a safety thing or performance thing or both? It seems like I could pull/get the 6 guage through the boat, I hope, then I need to add a batt, buy a new charger and viola, I'm lighter by about $700!

PS the plug can be unscrewed, it does not need to be cut!

Back