What batteries do you use for trolling and starting??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Trojan scs series( scs 225) for my trolling motor and i have a 27tm for my starting/electronics. The Trojan batteries are the best i have ever owned bar none.
http://www.trojanbattery.com

You can also find MinnKota brand batteries at Dick's Sporting Goods. They are made by Trojan (says it on the label) and are essentially Trojan batteries at a slightly lower price. Right now, I have an Interstate Marine cranking for the engine and a Bass Pro Shops (Size 27) Deep Cycle battery for the trolling motor. Had an Interstate, but it crapped out after barely two years. BPS' batteries were on sale. Since then, the wife got me a new transom mounted trolling motor for doing double duty (rear of the PT175 and front of the 12ft Water Tender). I'll probably get a Minn Kota battery for that since I have a credit at Dick's. Of course there's also the Everstart batteries at Walmart with a price that can't be beat.

JC

Jim C

one thing to keep in mind on those Minnkota's by trojan is the specs. The deepcycle only ones arent quite up to the scs series specs( the group 31 is the same as the scs 225). If you are looking for the most reserve power the scs series might be a better choice depending on what size battery you are looking at. The 27 size scs has 200 min reserve qand the minnkota is 175, that can make a pretty big difference on the water in run time. I need to get a new battery for my pond boat too, im thinking about the minnkota 27 size because it wil be fine for my needs, plus im sick of yanking one of my heavy scs 225's out of my nitro every time i want to use the pond boat.

btw the everstart is the same battery as the interstsate. Both are made by the same company. I have had zero luck with them lasting more then 6 months.

Jim B - thanks for the clarification! Important stuff to know. My new trolling motor is a 55lb 12V MinnKota Vector. Without trying to hijack this thread, any suggestions on whether the MinnKota 27 Series will suffice? I'm thinking that motor is going to have a heck of a draw!

JC

Back