well, crap - LU question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
ok - last trip out, everything seemed fine... had a hard freeze (lower 20s) a couple days later - I am 99% sure that I tucked the motor under real good to make sure all water was out - boat is stored outside, but I do tuck the motor down in the driveway.

Noticed under the skeg a small pool of LU Fluid - dripped down the skeg from where the prop is attached (the drainage point on my LU is behind the prop).

I haven't pulled the prop to check yet, but whats the likelyhood of major/minor problems here? or is this in the category of "take it to the shop and hope to win the lottery" ?

If you are living in an area with freezing weather, you should also wrap/cover your LU with a tarp or something to help insulate it from the freezing weather. A little prevention goes a long way:cool:

Jim

Sim, It could be fishing line around your shaft that cut the seal.

Make sure it is LU grease first....Once I had some blowby from my exhaust and thought it was LU grease and another time I had a hairline crack on my oil saddle tank on the motor. Find out exactly where it is coming from.

TOXIC

Had the same thing. Fishing line

got wraped seals went.Not a hard fix.

Hope that is all.

Check your lower unit fluid, if it's dark, you're probably good, if it's milky or water comes out then you've got some work to do.

Pulled the prop tonite - everything that 'hit the ground' was good and dark, the only milky looking was that which mixed with the little remaining water behind the prop... both 'screws' (drain/fill holes) were good and tight. Didn't pull them to let it obviously drain for me - guess there's no harm in it, probably do that tomorrow to confirm no water got 'in'.

No obvious fishing line to be seen, but based on the residue, it does appear to be coming from the seal on the prop shaft.

So, guess the boat is grounded for a couple weeks - I assume this is not a job for the driveway.

Don't know what they charge by you.

The kit cost me $60.00.The hardest part

was getting the ring off.Took about 1hr.

for the job.

Latest posts

Back