Weather in TX mid-february?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Today we rec'd approval from our principal to attend the Interscholastic Orienteering Nat'ls in mid-February. Event will be held at/near Athens, TX. Can anyone give me a heads-up about how the weather is (wet, dry, cold, etc) around that time frame? We'll be traveling on a charter bus (12 hour trip :wacko: ) with 30 other students/teachers.

BMCD is pretty close...I would advise you to check the NOAA website no sooner than 12 hours before your arrival and then bring shorts and a down parka just in case...no kidding.

And it will change daily....hourly....every fifteen minutes.

You may need the shorts and the parka both in the same day.

Thanks for the tips :) . Almost sounds like the weather extremes here is Western KY at times.

It's actually nastier...the difference is the wind velocities you'll see that time of year.

It *could* be a week of 70's with a south breeze. It could be 50's with a cold SE wind sucking up to a front, it could snow, rain, with hard NW cold wind in the 30's...

I've left the ramp before daylight in shirt sleeves, and dug ice out of the boat at 10:00 a.m. That's the nature of things.

I live about 30 miles from Athens. Last year we had about 3 inches of snow the 2nd week of April. Got pictures of snow on 20 acres of peas we had planted, first time that ever happened. Our so called "Easter snap". Last 1/2 of March & first 1/2 of April 2007 was our coldest time last year.

But I can remember several years also, fishing for bedding bass last week of Jan. and first week of Feb. So who knows?

With that said, pack a big bag, with some 30 degree stuff and some 80 degree stuff.

I'm with rodbender - live about 25 miles from Athens. Generally will be cold/nasty the 2nd week of February - but you never know. I'd pack for cold/nasty, with maybe a light coat in case it turns nice.

Tex

I'll never forget back when I worked for Formica. One of the factory tech guys from Cincinnati came down to Okla City to inspect a warranty claim...in February. The temperature was in the low 60's and we were walking around in our shirt sleeves. He was razzin' me saying, "you Oklahoma guys don't even know what winter is all about." That night an ice storm blew in and he couldn't get a flight out for two days.:rolleyes:

We have winter....we just don't have it all the time.

Okay...after all the warnings I'm cancelling my trip!

Not really. Looking forward to the trip. :)

Is this what they designed those sleeveless down jackets for? :lol: BTW... Havn't seen anyone wear one of those in a long time... guess they aren't popular anymore? (I never understood their usefullness anyway).

All the best,

Glenn

My dad used to wear one all the time in the dead of winter. He hardly ever had a coat on. I have seen some 'similar' vests, but not like you described.

Tex

Latest posts

Back