WAY off topic.....EBAY selling question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Matney

Reaction score
My neighbor and I are wanting to sell some crap from our garages and make a little money in the process. I looked on Ebay for how to get started but I can't seem to find any thing that answers my questions. So I am polling the experts here at NTOWS to find out the skinny....

1. Do you have to have a bank account or credit card. Or do you need both (this is the real hangup for both of us)

2. Should you start an Ebay store or just start selling without one.

3. How do you figure the shipping on an item?

4. What is Ebay's % from a sale?

Believe it or not I could not find the answers to these. I may have not been looking in the right places but I never found them. If anyone has anyother tips let me know.

Thanks a Bunch!!

Donnie

I've never sold anything there but I just went and looked it up. Assuming you have an eBay account-go under "My eBay" and on the left side is a heading called "start selling." I think that should get you started. Hutch

1. Yes, you have to have a credit card listed with Ebay to sell.

2. I'd just sell without starting an Ebay store as there may be tax implications if you start a store front.

3. Shipping depends on the type of shipping (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc) and how much the package to be shipped weighs. Best thing to do when getting ready to ship is to go to the shippers website and enter the weight and size of package, and it will give you a ball park figure for shipping.

4. Ebay's take on selling depends on the price of the items listed (insertion fee) and the final value (final value fee). See the following page for information on their fees:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/basics.html

No you don't need a credit card to sell on ebay. I have been selling and buying on ebay for almost 3 years now with no credit card on file. You can set up your payments from your buyers for money orders or checks. Then you just don't ship the item untill the payment clears. Even PayPal does not require a credit card -- just a bank account. For shipping amounts just go to either the UPS or US postal sites to figure it out.

Most people set up a PayPal account to pay/accept payment. This can be linked to either a checking account or credit card.

To be on the safe side, don't sell to anyone outside of the US as there are a lot of scams going on right now.

I'm not a genius but I would give paypal, ebay or anyone else online my banking information. A friend of mine had $15,000 hacked from his account and it took him a year to get it back. At least a credit card has a limit and is easier and faster to dispute. Just my .02

As long as you follow best computer practices (Keeping Windows up to date, use a firewall and make sure your computer is virus/spyware free) paypal is infinitely times more secure than handing a waiter or cashier your debit or credit card. If you dont feel comfortable, you can always link a credit card to paypal

Ok, back to your original questions. I have sold and bought on e-bay for a long time.

I do NOT remember needing a credit card to sell.

You do NOT not should you start, an e-bay store.

I used to just guess and put that in my listing. If I was under I ate it. If I was over, great.

Now I believe they have system for calculating postage. It may show you how when you start entering the information for what you want to sell. I have bought a couple of things lately and next to the auction price there was a link that said "calculate" for the shipping. I'm sure you will be led to that when entering your info.

I don't remember what e-bays take was but I always thought it was ok or I would have stopped selling and buying.

JeezyPeezy Donnie, just start trying to list something and see what happens. If you get to the last page and don;t like what you see, just click cancel.

Uncle Billy

I was a little leary at first, but now enjoy and trust both ebay and paypal. To protect myself I change my password often and check my accounts daily. I have had a few problems and thier security has taken care of it 100%. They will even get you your money back, (minus a very small fee), if you are ripped off. One time I found 2 late model Honda Goldwings for sale under my username. I reported it to ebay security and it was taken care of right away. They even refunded all the seller fees related to the bikes. I changed my security info and have been fine since.

Back