Wax/Polish for Fiberglass Hulls?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
I just bought my first fiberglass hull boat. My question is, can I use the same polish or wax I use on my vehicle or should I buy the stuff sold specifically for boats? I just didn't want to waste money if it's the same stuff with a picture of a boat on the label.

Thanks,

Cass

Look at Bassboat saver thats what I was told Igot some but not tried it yet. every one say it's the best.

You will slow the boat down if you wax the bottom of the hull.

The wax will fill in the nooks and cranny's on the hull's surface, thereby allowing the hull to have more surface contact with the water, creating more drag and slowing the boat down.

Racing boats often have the hulls scuffed up and sanded to improve speed.

Try a product called Starbrite for polishing your boat. I use it and it's great stuff. It really takes off all the yucky stuff and puts a nice deep shine and slippery surface on the areas you polish. Like the guys said though, don't polish below the water line. For the same reasons your boat will run faster in a moderate chop rather than glassy smooth water.

OK, here is a product to try, Glissen Hull Finish with teflon. Got it at the New Orleans boat show in 04. It is made in Louisiana so I am not sure if you can get it where you live. If not, get a polish with telfon, works great. Glissen is the best, no buffing, just whip on a let dry. It makes my Cobia look so good........Kenny

You can wax below the waterline, just no need to wax the pad area, basically the last 3 feet of boat that contact the water when on plane. I wax my hull, it helps clean the road grime off after long trips. As far as wax goes, i just (last June) tried some new turtle wax. It's the extreme wax but in a paste. Seems to do alot better than the liquid version. I have tried alot of different car and boat waxes, but this seems to be the best so far. EZ on EZ off. I would highly recommend something with UV inhibitors, especially in the southern states.

MeBassn

cass,

just be real careful if you use some of the new hi-tek stuff. Some waxes or sythetic waxs like mequires are not to be used on fiberglass.

mike

I used the Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax last year and it worked great. Best I've used so far.

I use Meguiar's auto products which are easy to work with, so I figure their marine products should be just as good. :)

Bass Boat Saver is great stuff for cleaning and rejuvinating your wax, It has wax in it as well as cleaner. Works on the hull , seats, dash, motor, etc. I would apply a good marine wax the follow up on every trip with the BBS. Spray on a wet towel and just wipe down. You will only have to wax a couple of times a year, some, if not most, just use the BBS and they love it. It'll even take that white residue off your lower unit. No, I'm not sponsored by them. Neither is KB and he'd drink the stuff if it came in coffee flavor:p

TOXIC

I just ordered some on Sunday at bassboatsaver.com. I think it was $30.00 a gallon plus shipping. Chris F.

Every time I pull my boat out of the water,I spray it down with a 50/50 mix water/white distilled vinegar and then wipe it dry.Wax it once a month with 3M Marine cleaner/wax.It looks the same as when I bought it,just a few small scratches.:D

Gunny,

Will clean/treat/protect the vinyl seats, and not mess with the coating (or whatever it is) on the vinyl?

I just bought my first fiberglass hull boat. My question is, can I use the same polish or wax I use on my vehicle or should I buy the stuff sold specifically for boats? I just didn't want to waste money if it's the same stuff with a picture of a boat on the label.

Thanks,

Cass
Looking into Ceramic polish on fiberglass hulls. Look on You Tube they seem to out last everything else on the market. Asked Nitro and Tracker about using it on fiberglass hull and neither new anything about ceramic coatings.

Latest posts

Back