Water in Gas tank

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenn Jamerson

Reaction score
I took my Tracker Pro Team 185 to the lake Tue. and it started OK but kept dying. Finally it would not start again. Thinking I may have flooded it I disconnected the gas line to the motor and what looked like water came out of the motor connection. When I got home I pumped some fuel out, using the pressure bulb, into a glass jar. It was almost half water. I siphoned all the fuel out I could but there is a small amount left. My questions are: How did so much water get into the fuel tank and what can I do to be sure that I have gotten enough water out to refill it with gas and not have the same problem? I had not used the boat for quite a while so maybe it was just condensation built up over a long period of time. Any help will be appreciated.

Just a guess but I would try to pump as much of the bad gas out, purge the line, fillerup, and add some Stabil winterizer treatment. As far as I know that's all you can do. I'm not sure what water removal treatment for cars will do on a 2 cycle.

Harpo

Somethings wrong there. Condensation will certainly put 'some' water into the tank, if left mostly empty for some period of time, but draining out fuel and getting a 50/50 mixture, seems to indicate a larger problem.

Tex

I agree...I have never had nor could see logicaly how it could get in. I have a 185 and don't understand how it got there. Possibly the station you filled it at has water...call them and ask if anyone else has found water. Sometimes they are helpful...sometimes not for liability reasons...

TEE

check the gasket on the fuel guage float. my old pt185 i had to replace the fuel float and the gasket was all dry rotted. the way that tank is designed, it kind of holds water on the top of it. that would be my first guess.

the second would be the filler cap. make sure the gasket on it is in good shape as well.

good luck,

bryan

Maybe you got a lot of water over the transom on a quick shutdown that flowed in thru the gas tank vent????? If it's like my '00 185 the gas tank vent is in a good place for that to happen. The pickup in your tank should be on the bottom and with gas floating on top of water, the water would be in the bottom of your tank 'splaining when you pumped the bulb you got mostly water. Maybe for future a water separator might be in order?

Good point Bryan...Also the waterline that goes into your livewell is right above your tank so...if it's leaking it's gonna' pool right on top and like you said they are a little con-cave on top...

TEE

Better check to see if Gas treatment is safe for those carb's...

TEE

I installed a water fuel seperator filter on my 99' 185.

Mainly because of the "superior engineering design" of installing the fuel tank vent in the splash well. I was also able to raise the vent up approx. 3/4'' of an inch by using a chrome compression nut off of chrome shut-off valve that is used under most sinks and other porcelain goodies.

Had to enlarge the hole slightly but it made a good riser and with the chrome it's hardly noticable.

But the real insurance is in the water fuel seperator filter which I installed on the transom support next to the on-board charge.

Carl

Latest posts

Back