Watch and listen to what UAW won't allow to be built in the US:

• Thread starter Michael Meier [URL]http://info.detnews.com/video/i
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Thats very interesting. Im not an auto worker and dont want to offend any. But it seems that we need to get with the program. It appears that the UAW is digging their own grave. Better to loose a few jobs to automation than all of them overseas. If we had factories like that in the US Ill bet we would see some better vehical prices.

Mark

Interesting, but once again, just a small part of a complex issue.

I'll stay out of this one,...I'm NOT a UAW member, but I'm tired of seeing OUR (USA) jobs going overseas, because of the ridiculously cheap labor and cost of doing business in 3rd world and economically developing countries. It's all about profit folks.....when you can build an entire plant, including tooling, robots and hardware AND hire ALL the labor to operate the plant, for the price of just RE-TOOLINGan existing plant here in the US.....it's no mystery why so many major mfgr's are leaving!!! The blame lies on the NAFTA agreements,..our congress,..our Company's CEO's who want to appease stockholders and line their own pockets,....the UAW, the American lifestyle, OSHA, Local, state and Federal Tax laws, Raw Materials, etc..etc. WE are selling ourselves out....we'll eventually bring the rest of the world UP to where we use to be 20-30 years ago...and in the process, we'll also fall down to where they are now......if our gov't won't level the playing field by regulating the imports...they'll do it by giving our manufacturing base away. We are going to see the middle class slowly disappear and we'll have 2 classes of people in this country.....the VERY rich...and the VERY poor. The workers in those countries get paid maybe $8-10 a DAY...to them it's HUGE...a lifestyle change for them!! That kind of money will get them the material things they've never had...a house,..a car...food on the table EVERY day..they show up and work hard, EVERYDAY and NEVER call in sick. They hit the lifestyle LOTTO in their communities! Our young folks will sit on their asses and play Wii and/or only take a job that pay's $20/hr!! (Good luck Slackers)

To people here,...it's not even minimum wage for 2 hours worth of work, let alone $75/hr for UAW wages/bennies. It's unbelievably sad,..but also true. We created this mess in the name of our own prosperity,....we're going to have to sacrifice and give up a LOT to get it back!. I just hope we don't eliminate our manufacturing capabilities entirely...if we do......we've just eliminated our own National Security in the name of "profit".

Carry on!!

Mac

Thadeous McCotter pretty much NAILS it when he addresses congress in this video.....and if that's not enough...listen to the @#$$ Barney Frank kybosh the applause at the end!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7YBjjLKLd0

There are those that know me and won't believe I am saying this but, companies like the automakers deserve a union. The execs line their pockets, send jobs overseas and cut everything else but their own as Mac said, in the name of profits for shareholders or they lose their jobs.

With that said the Union is no help here, I understand everyone having to fight for what they have and to keep it but we have been led to believe that it is everyone's right to have so much time off, not be held responsible for attendance, given $20.00/hr jobs, and not having to be as productive as they could be because the companies owe it to them! That smells of something terrible. The automaker execs have run roughshod over the companies and have not been held accountable unless the shareholders aren't getting their piece of the pie. I for one understand that it is now a global economy. I don't want to let my job go overseas and do all I can to prevent that. I work for an exceptionally run company that really cares and takes care of its teammates. Our much larger competitors lose customers to us all the time be cause we are more mobile, productive and just plain ol give the customer a better product/service. No we do not pay as much as our bigger competitors but we arn't far off of it either. Our benefits are usually better and most of all we use our people not as workers but as partners. We have bought four of our larger competitors divisions and have inherited unions. Just within the last two months two have asked how to get rid of the union, which I cannot legally respond to. It just says what can be done when people care about their teammates AND the bottom line and ALL are sponsible for it.

I for one think that the right people need to step in and make things illegal, such as HUGE exec bonuses, Pay for jobs that don't deserve it, and national health care. Yep I am pretty biased but I know what can be done when you care about the team and not just yourself. It starts with parenting, schools, government and on up the food chain.

One last example of how it works. In my first year of the bass club I am in, they had a classic. You had to qualify and all the extra money that went into all the seasonal tourneys went to those few that qualified. I was the number one qualifier and found out the only 8 went to the classic and all the money went to the top 5 places! I stood up and said that everone should be allowed to go, give out trophys to the top 5 and split the money up to pay for expenses for all that want to go. A couple old timers started to speak up against my silly idea but then almost all said why not. We now have a competitve classic but so much more fun than any classic ever. Just do what is right for the team first.

Sorry about the rant but I can't stand selfishness, unions when not needed, or one way or the highway thinking.

Randy!:angry:

Mac

I believe you hit the nail on the head. When I was in college I had a couple frat bros quit and go to work at John Deer in Waterloo, IA. Back then $7 an hour was a good wage. Better than what I made my first year teaching. I toured the plant and the guy fitting the tractor wheels on the tractors made 9.50 an hour. Mimimum wage was about $1.75. BUT The CEOs were making multi millons a year that was in 1975. Talk about CEO greed!!! I just don't know anymore. I want to retire from teaching next spring. One fourth of my retirement pay will be required to pay health insurance if Obama hasn't fixed it by then. You talk about depessing!! Then I think about all those who are far worse off.

Again. Then my Dad says you aint seen nothing. Try living through the depression.

fatrap:(

Interesting stuff, and certainly a very interesting video. The company that I was doing some work with (ArvinMeritor) was mentioned as one of the vendors 'inside' the mfg'ing facility.

Tex

What!!!!! My friend used to work at a plant in Ohio making emblems for GMC vehicles. When he retired he was making $28.00 per hour. With overtime and such he was bringing home more than $100,000.00 a year. I'd say that was good pay. You can imagine what the line bosses and supervisors were making. My friend retired in 2001 and has a beautiful home in Finley Ohio.

Mike

Here's a commentary worth reading....scary as hell too!!!

Who Killed Detroit?

humanrights.com

By Patrick J. Buchanan (Commentary)

Nov. 21, 2008

Who killed the U.S. auto industry?

To hear the media tell it, arrogant corporate chiefs failed to foresee the demand for small, fuel-efficient cars and made gas-guzzling road-hog SUVs no one wanted, while the clever, far-sighted Japanese, Germans and Koreans prepared and built for the future.

I dissent. What killed Detroit was Washington, the government of the United States, politicians, journalists and muckrakers who have long harbored a deep animus against the manufacturing class that ran the smokestack industries that won World War II.

As far back as the 1950s, an intellectual elite that produces mostly methane had its knives out for the auto industry of which Ike's treasury secretary, ex-GM chief Charles Wilson, had boasted, "What's good for America is good for General Motors, and vice versa."

"Engine Charlie" was relentlessly mocked, even in Al Capp's L'il Abner cartoon strip, where a bloviating "General Bullmoose" had as his motto, "What's good for Bullmoose is good for America!"

How did Big Government do in the U.S. auto industry?

Washington imposed a minimum wage higher than the average wage in war-devastated Germany and Japan. The Feds ordered that U.S. plants be made the healthiest and safest worksites in the world, creating OSHA to see to it. It enacted civil rights laws to ensure the labor force reflected our diversity. Environmental laws came next, to ensure U.S. factories became the most pollution-free on earth.

It then clamped fuel efficiency standards on the entire U.S. car fleet.

Next, Washington imposed a corporate tax rate of 35 percent, raking off another 15 percent of autoworkers' wages in Social Security payroll taxes

State governments imposed income and sales taxes, and local governments property taxes to subsidize services and schools.

The United Auto Workers struck repeatedly to win the highest wages and most generous benefits on earth -- vacations, holidays, work breaks, health care, pensions -- for workers and their families, and retirees.

Now there is nothing wrong with making U.S. plants the cleanest and safest on earth or having U.S. autoworkers the highest-paid wage earners. That is the dream, what we all wanted for America.

And under the 14th Amendment, GM, Ford and Chrysler had to obey the same U.S. laws and pay at the same tax rates. Outside the United States, however, there was and is no equality of standards or taxes.

Thus when America was thrust into the Global Economy, GM and Ford had to compete with cars made overseas in factories in postwar Japan and Germany, then Korea, where health and safety standards were much lower, wages were a fraction of those paid U.S. workers, and taxes were and are often forgiven on exports to the United States.

All three nations built "export-driven" economies.

The Beetle and early Japanese imports were made in factories where wages were far beneath U.S. wages and working conditions would have gotten U.S. auto executives sent to prison.

The competition was manifestly unfair, like forcing Secretariat to carry 100 pounds in his saddlebags in the Derby.

Japan, China and South Korea do not believe in free trade as we understand it. To us, they are our "trading partners." To them, the relationship is not like that of Evans & Novak or Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. It is not even like the Redskins and Cowboys. For the Cowboys only want to defeat the Redskins. They do not want to put their franchise out of business and end the competition -- as the Japanese did to our TV industry by dumping Sonys here until they killed it.

While we think the Global Economy is about what is best for the consumer, they think about what is best for the nation.

Like Alexander Hamilton, they understand that manufacturing is the key to national power. And they manipulate currencies, grant tax rebates to their exporters and thieve our technology to win. Last year, as trade expert Bill Hawkins writes, South Korea exported 700,000 cars to us, while importing 5,000 cars from us.

That's Asia's idea of free trade.

How has this Global Economy profited or prospered America?

In the 1950s, we made all our own toys, clothes, shoes, bikes, furniture, motorcycles, cars, cameras, telephones, TVs, etc. You name it. We made it.

Are we better off now that these things are made by foreigners? Are we better off now that we have ceased to be self-sufficient? Are we better off now that the real wages of our workers and median income of our families no longer grow as they once did? Are we better off now that manufacturing, for the first time in U.S. history, employs fewer workers than government?

We no longer build commercial ships. We have but one airplane company, and it outsources. China produces our computers. And if GM goes Chapter 11, America will soon be out of the auto business.

Our politicians and pundits may not understand what is going on. Historians will have no problem explaining the decline and fall of the Americans.

$28.00 per hour making emblems for cars.

95% of salary and full benefits when laid off.

CEO's making way to much money

5-7 private jets

It shocks me that these brain surgeons( no disrespect to brain surgeons) did not see a problem.

I find it a LOT more shocking that our Congressional "Leadership" (no offense to REAL Leaders out there) aren't a little more informed themselves...and a WHOLE LOT more concerned about our ECONOMY and our country than they are. I've never seen such a cluster of self-serving, egomaniacal, clueless, pompous, out of touch, moron's in my entire life!! I feel REALLY sorry for our kids and grandkids...they will be the ones who will really have to deal with the long term affects of this...and will have to learn the language of the country that will eventually own us!! :angry:

Wonder how Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Mercedes, and soon to be VW seem to do OK making their cars here?

I spent two 6 month stints in Japan as an Eng. exchange student back in the early 80's and got to see the other side of the competition in action. The work ethic and attention to detail at the three companies I worked at during that year would never be possible in the US.

The core problem is that the Auto industries have been ripping off the US consumer since the late 1950s. Ever hear the phrase

Mike,....the "quality" gap between the imports and the domestics has narrowed to the point of being insignificant over the past 5-7 years and infact...our stuff is now MUCH BETTER than theirs in SEVERAL areas, including safety, reliability, standard features, and service, as well as price and fuel economy!! The domestic's biggest problem is "perceived quality" and that's because of the reputation the domestics created for themselves from the 70's-90's. Look at the latest JD Powers rankings and you will see every GM brand "above average" in the rankings.....so the argument that "they build better stuff than us" is simply not true!!

The rest of my argument on "why" we're behind is addressed below:

Berry,..part of the reason is they are ALL built in non-union factory's (in right to work states)...they have very few retirees (i.e. significantly lower "legacy costs") and they pay lower wages and offer fewer benefits....and if that isn't enough, very few of their parts suppliers are in the US,..they "import" almost all of that (80-90%+..all built in their home countries), and they just do the "final assembly" here.....they pay virtually ZERO state and local taxes when the southern states lure them there to build a plant, in exchange for employing their residents and they pay ZERO health care benefits to their retirees once they retire....it's up to the employees themselves to provide that for themselves once they leave. All of that adds up to a signifact "price per car" advantage. The domestic automakers built middle class america from the ground up during WWII using the auto plants to build planes, tanks and weapons..our engineering capability's, suppliers and manufacturing plants were switched over from making cars. trucks and buses to building war materials in just a few months!! GM, FORD and Chrysler WON WWII for us...everyone seems to forget that!! Now, we have begun to sell out the middle class and our manufacturing capabilities by building everything overseas in order to "compete" because of these HUGE legacy costs that we have and allowing imports to come in at unregulated rates, while those same foreign countries regulate the hell out of what they'll allow in their countries.

In a nut shell....the playing field is not level and hasn't been for 60 years (We offer healthcare and pensions for MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Americans, at a cost of BILLIONS of dollars and have been doing so, since the end of WWII,..all funded by the domestic auto co's.).....until issues such as health care costs, social security and pension funds are addressed...our companies will continue to face increased financial burdens resulting in the lose of even more jobs!! The US middle class will decline, while the rest of the world prospers.....This country NEEDS to start putting AMERICA first AGAIN and our PEOPLE ahead of Corporate profits.....once we lose our manufacturing capability and the ability to protect ourselves in war time.....we've sold out our National Security. That is NOT a wise thing to do!!

Regarding the quality issue, Mac stated it perfectly. Quality differences are insignificant if any at all and they are perceived quality issues due to what they produced in the 70's - 90's. I think you would be hard pressed to beat quality per dollar of a US vehicle.

As far as the statement I keep hearing about the US automakers making cars that nobody wants to buy ... that is absolutely untrue. As a matter of fact they make the only vehicles that I would buy.

I find it hard to believe given the state of the auto industry, all the potential US jobs at stake, and all the US vehicles that there are to choose from that anybody would walk out and buy a foreign car today rather than a US one. It just sounds unAmerican to me :wacko:.

Not sure how anyone can prove that the big three build better vehicles? We have no equal measuring stick to do this. If you go off end user stats and the numbers/dollars & brand of vehicles purchased world wide (not the best measure/but unbias and actual) then the Toyota Corolla (1966

Mac, the playing field has to be level. I won't get retiree insurance, and neither will 75% of the rest of the people. The UAW will be taking this over I think by 2010, but until the work rules and pay gets competitive, the cars will cost more to make, and people just won't pay the extra 1500-2000 a car more to pay for this.

Totally agree......and Bailouts and Loans aren't the answer either....not for the long-term anyway. We need to add additional tarriff's to imports OR restrict the total number allowed to be built here. A FREE market is the only way back to prosperity as long as the rules are FAIR and everybody follows them. This country has got to STOP letting everyone and their brother come in here to compete, when they slam the door in OUR faces, over there!

I believe per NAFTA that the US automakers have a full and open opportunity to market in Japan/Korea/Europe/Mexico etc.... But less the mid range (Class 5) trucks, the other countries don't want any of the US vehicles or we would be selling them there?

Here are some suggestions!

1 Stop the wars and put the billions spent there towards national health care/retirement for those over 65 and take the burden off of the auto industry.

2 Mac not all foreign cars in the US are built in right to work states. Indiana has three plants and the one in Lafayette (Subaru) take very good of its people. You should see this place, if it wasn't for the plant it would look more like a state park with the softball fields, walking trail, fishing ponds etc...

I also do not believe that tarrifs are the way either. That hurts everyone! The government gets more money to do what ever it is they do with it. Everyone has to endure paying more for all vehicles because the foreign vehicles cost more (pushed up by government tarrifs) and no incentive for domestic automakers to lower US car costs due to the goverment slapping the hands of the foreign auto makers.

Either way I am not an economist but I also believe that we need to do a better job and quit with the entitlements! Earn it or give them nothing!

Randy!

Mike......In Japan,...a new Malibu cost's $50,000. Here, they're $30,000. Sure,..we can sell them there...but who's going to buy one when they add such HIGH tarriff's to our stuff?? They do that for a reason,.....to protect THEIR jobs!!

Randy,...you're right...I shouldn't have said "ALL"...maybe "MOST" would have been a better choice. But the rest of my message holds true,...very very few of the import company's will build in a UAW state.

Sorry Mac. I get on my pulpit about unions but for good reason. I have never seen anything good from them.

As a good note I have only bought from the big three and will continue to do so as long as they are in business.

Randy!

A couple of summaries of Free Trade Agreements:

Nafta=Canada, Mexico, US-ONLY. Mexico and Canada do have some heavy industry. Everyone Bashes NAFTA, but this is between 3 close partners, whether you believe that or not.

It is odd that people take offense with Mexico but not Canada. Canada is OK, Mexico is improving, but until their standard of living gets even better, we are going to continue to have our border issues.

CAFTA=Central America/DR(Dominican Republic) and US- ONLY. Central America has very little heavy industry, not a major factor. These countries still do need help, and work.

I agree on opening up markets when we open ours. It does get a little blurry when they manufacture in the US. Asia, especially China, is not open, and this is wrong. China, if left to do as it pleases will own us one day. They don't play fair. There are manufacturing plants solid for 6 hours driving NE from Shanghai. You have to see it to believe it. If you think the car business is in a fight now, just wait until China gets into this. Their wages are about .75 an hour (loaded) once you get outside the major cities.

The right side of my brain says I should stay out of this conversation, but the left side does the typing. So with all due respect to all of the members here I will voice my thoughts. The day of the union is past over due, it was needed at one time and did it's job. These days are gone, As a former member of the uaaaw I can only tell you what I saw. Underworked and overpaid with no reason to step up production because it would cut into there overtime. You could sleep on the job as long as you where at your assigned position and not be fired?

Bump that up 3 times and you have management, add a govt contract and you can raise it another 10 times if it's on schedule. Taxes and tariffs, we don't have a level playing field there either. But you know what, just like gas right now. We quit buying and it come back to haunt them? I only buy american if I can. I have only owned 3 brands of cars and trucks since I started driving 32 years ago. 1 GM, 1 Dodge and 9 Fords. My choice.

You want to fix something, look for better education for your children, because if child labor comes to the US, our kids are not smart enough to work in a shoe factory.

Sorry, it's been a long day.

BF

The right side of my brain says I should stay out of this conversation, but the left side does the typing.

:lol::lol::lol:

You couldn't stand it!!

Back to the topic at hand:

Motor Trend (Detroit rag) rates the Malibu at a 3 of 5. MSRP Range: $19,900 - $27,095

EPA fuel economy estimates 17-24 city, 26-32 highway

Review clip - Make no mistake: This is a utilitarian piece. If you're about style and/or driving excitement, shop elsewhere. GM can't yet match the Japanese-brand titans in terms of materials quality or powertrain performance and refinement, but compensates, with some success, by offering more creature features and a slightly lower price. Although it's hardly an emotion stirrer, we did get a solid, reliable, useful experience out of our Maxx. If it suits their needs, most buyers will as well.

Keep in mind that at the current exchange rate, a dollar is equivalent to 120 yen.

Buying a car in Japan

Imagine you are Mr. or Ms. Average living in Japan, like everything in Japan, getting a car is never as simple as picking one out, putting your money down, and driving your new motor home. Many people go past some used car dealers, see some good looking cars, (some for just $10K) and wonder if they're really that cheap! Well, they are, but there's more to what you see. The real costs come afterwards, before you can call that car yours, you'll have to get a parking space for it, pay the taxes on it, get insurance, and then there's the mandatory periodic maintenance check.

The Parking Space

You must have a registered parking space and submit certification of such (Shakoshomeishou) to the police. The rental of the space varies, from a couple of thousand yen/month in the sticks, up to maybe over 120,000 yen/month in the plush areas of Tokyo. To get a parking space, some are found through estate agents (fudosan), others are rented directly from the owners. If it's from the fudosan, except for the guarantor, most of the other terms for flat hunting apply.

Paying Taxes

When you buy a car, you'll have three main taxes to pay. One is an Acquisition Tax, another is a Weight Tax, and the third is an Annual Tax every May. The first two you pay when you buy the car. Basically, the bigger the engine, the more you pay. The Acquisition Tax is around 5% of the price of the car. The weight tax for cars with engine sizes up to 2 litres are about 56,700 yen, greater than that is 75,600. Passenger cars with a 300 something or 33 in the upper right corner of the license plate (including nearly all US cars) are the highest. A 50-something on the license plate indicates a medium-size car, and the "Kei" cars with an engine of 660cc have a yellow plate and are lowest. The May annual tax for Kei cars is the lowest as well at about 5000-yen, but for larger cars the tax quickly escalates to 34,500-39,500 yen for medium cars to 45,000 yen for 2.5 litre cars and 56,000 yen for 3 litre cars. You also need to pay consumption tax when you buy fuel, and many petrol stations don't display their prices. Prices can vary and may be up to 15 yen/ltr. cheaper at some stations, a big difference.

Car Insurance

There are two insurance programs, one is the mandatory insurance (kyosei hoken) which just covers the car, and the optional insurance (jibaiseki hoken) covers injuries/damages you may get/cause. You can decide the extras, theft, vandalism, disaster damage, lost wages, etc. Getting it would be a good idea, if the person driving that Mercedes you just knocked decides to have a heart attack, you'd be in trouble. The costs vary according to your age, if your family also drives it, how many offences you may have had, if the car has an airbag, etc.

Shaken

Many people come to Japan and are very surprised that all the cars are clean, well maintained, and always running efficiently. The sensitive Japan "experts" will tell you that it's because Japanese take such pride in their work, have such dignity to drive cars that only look like new, etc. All of which are true. But the real reason is different, and you'll pay dearly for it. Cars that are 3 years old have to have a mandatory maintenance check (Shaken), which is repeated every other year. The costs again vary according to the size of the car, but basically you'll be paying 120,000-160,000 yen or so for a smaller car, and more for a larger. Also, when the car is very old, it has an official value of zero and you may actually have to pay someone to take it off your hands! After that it'll be either scrapped or sold to dealers in Asia.

Buying the Car

To buy a car, you can always check the local dealers, or buy it from another individual, which is a little more complicated. Either you or the other person will have to go to the Kensa Toroku Jimusho, or Inspection Registration Office to submit the Re-registration (meigi henkou) and Massho toroku (owner's cancellation registration) papers.

Actual 2008 Malibu purchase cost in Japan

Base cost - we will use $20K as a stripped model which is what most Japanese buy.

FOB Destination for imports is around 100,000 yen or $833.33. (That's about what the USA dealer rips us off for delivery to our local dealer and it doesn't come by ship does it? Assh*les!):eek:

That's a total of $20,833.33 for one imported 2008 Malibu. This directly from Kelly's which is a dealer right next to the Yokota US Air Force Base. As you can see from the above buying process that there is alot more additional costs with buying and keeping a vehicle in Japan that have nothing to do with an imported USA vehicle or other nation. Detroit likes to roll those additional (non-trade related costs) into why they are getting a butt kicking over seas. :)

Not easy is it? Yet Japan has the second largest motor industry in the world, for now.

Interesting,.....and a little good news from the "perception" perspective!! Wouldn't it be nice to see a new "America FIRST" attitude.....Patriotism reborn...what a concept!:wub:

Domestic Brands Score Highest in Consumer Ratings

.... According to Biz360, a media and market solutions provider, consumers are expressing more positive comments toward American brands than for Japanese automakers.

Basically, the company gathered roughly 300,000 online opinions about midsize cars from Ford, Chevrolet, Honda and Toyota. The data was pulled from such sites such as Auto Mall USA, Edmunds.com, IntelliChoice.com and Yahoo Autos from Oct. 31, 2007 through Nov. 1, 2008. The company discovered that Ford and Chevrolet are ahead of their Japanese counterparts when it comes to consumer perception.

"They indicate that certain American cars brands are considered superior to equivalent Japanese brands by consumers when they discuss the key attributes of performance, comfort and exterior styling," Biz360 Senior Director Stephen Foster said. More specifically, officials noted that Chevrolet (63.25), along with Ford (62.11), scored higher than Honda (58.45) and Toyota (60.02) on Biz360's "Net Advocacy" rating.

http://www.autoremarketing.com/ar/news/story.html?id=8758#

NAFTA = NORTH AMERICAN Free Trade.

NOTHING to do with Japan, Brazil, Russia, China, etc.

Here is the one EVERY American should read.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pat Buchanan: What's good for GM is good for the GOP

Understandably, Republicans are seething.

When Hank Paulson demanded $700 billion to haul away the trash in the Dumpsters of JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs -- assuring us we could hold a garage sale of the junk -- they rebelled. They acted as the nation, by 100-1, demanded. They killed the Wall Street bailout.

The Dow quickly sank another 1,000 points, and charged with criminal irresponsibility by the elites, the GOP buckled, reversed itself, rescued the bailout -- and was wiped out on Nov. 4.

Now we hear from Paulson that the $700 billion Congress voted will not, after all, be used to buy up all that rotten paper on the books of the big banks. Some banks are using the cash to buy other banks.

So Republicans are right to be enraged. They are victims of the biggest bait-and-switch in political history. But they are now about to do something terminally stupid. With GM, Ford and Chrysler teetering on the brink, they are turning a cold stone face to Detroit and are about to follow the counsel of that quintessential Bu****e Dick Darman, who said of our computer chip industry, "If our guys can't hack it, let 'em go."

America responded -- by letting George H.W. Bush and Darman go.

Are Republicans aware of what they are about to do?

When workers, execs, engineers, dealers, salesmen and suppliers are all factored in, the Big Three employ 3 million people who contribute $21 billion a year to Social Security and Medicare, and $25 billion in federal income taxes. Add in all the businesses that depend on the auto industry, and we are talking about one-tenth of the U.S. labor force.

As columnist Tom Piatak of Chronicles and Takimag.com writes, 850,000 retirees, and their families, depend on pensions and health care from the Big Three. If they go under, the burden falls on us.

And to let the auto industry die is to write America out of much of the economic future of the planet.

In a good year, like 2005, Americans buy more than 17 million new cars, and West Europeans as many. Tens of millions in Eastern Europe, Russia, China, India and Southeast Asia are now moving into the middle class each year. These folks will all need or want one or two family cars. If we let the U.S. auto industry die, that immense and burgeoning market will be lost forever to America, and ceded to Asia.

"Who cares?" comes the free-traders' reply. Japanese and Koreans are setting up factories here. They can pick up the slack.

But that means Americans will work for and depend on foreign companies for a necessity of our national life as vital as the imported oil and gas on which our cars and trucks operate. All the profits of the mighty automobile industry in America will be sent abroad.

Before Republicans follow this free-trade fanaticism to their final interment, they might study the results of a poll by Peter Hart:

-- Seventy-eight percent of Americans believe the U.S. auto industry is highly or extremely important. Three percent think we can do without it.

-- Ninety percent of Americans believe the death of the U.S. auto industry would do great damage to our economic future.

-- By 55 percent to 30 percent, Americans favor federal loans to save it. And by 64 percent to 25 percent Americans back President-elect Obama's resolve not to let the U.S. auto industry go under.

If the GOP blocks these loans, and the industry dies, the party can forget about Ohio, Michigan and the industrial Midwest. For the Reagan Democrats will never come home again. Nor should they.

By the choices we make, we define ourselves and reveal what we truly care about. Thus, consider:

We bail out the New York and D.C. governments of Abe Beame and Marion Barry. We bail out a corrupt Mexico. We bail out public schools that have failed us for 40 years.

We bail out with International Monetary Fund and World Bank loans and foreign aid worthless Third World regimes.

We bail out Wall Street plutocrats and big banks.

But the most magnificent industry, the auto industry that was the pride of America and envy of the world, we surrender to predator-traders from Asia and Europe, lest we violate the tenets of some 19th-century ideological scribblers that the old Republicans considered the apogee of British stupidity.

Nancy Pelosi is talking about tying loans to a restructuring of the industry. But Congress is not competent to do that.

What needs to be restructured is the U.S. tax-and-trade regime.

Dump globalism. Instruct Japan, Canada, Korea, Germany and China that if they wish to sell cars here, they will assemble them here and produce the parts here. And we shall have the same free access to and same share of their auto market as they have of ours.

To accomplish this, use the same import quotas and tariffs Ronald Reagan used to save the steel industry and Harley-Davidson.

Reciprocal trade. Even Democrats like FDR used to practice it.

Latest posts

Back