Warranty Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes I purchased an NX750 in 2004 with 125hp. Well after the dealer using it more than me Mercury finally replaced the motor with a 2005 135hp optimax. Very nice motor. Well because mercury doesn't supply the prop Nitro warrantied the prop and gave me a new one to fit the new motor. Now I have another problem. Everyone is telling me it is unsafe to run the V-6 with the single steering cable that was with my 125hp. Does this fall under another warranty issue as tracker marine recommends a dual steering cable with a V-6 motor and when ordering a V-6 they put the dual cable in should they replace my steering as a warranty issue. Just wondering if anyone has any knowlege of this.

I think they should, if the boat is unsafe with the current set-up they should correct all parts required.

i talked to Nitro and they gave me the run around but said the dealer would have to call, well the dealer called this morning and still no answer. The CS agent on the phone said well mercury should have put the cables on and mercury said they don't supply the cables nitro(teleflex) does. So i think i am stuck with an unsafe brand new Nitro, watch out!!!!!

Michael, Don't give up! Each time you call and I mean call alot, make sure you get the person's name, climb you way up that corporate ladder until the man himself tells you something. Don't settle for anything less that your new cable for free!:blink:

The standard steering set-up in the 750 is single cable. Dual cable steering is an upgrade, at the customers cost. However, due to circumstances, see if maybe Merc will pay the labor and Tracker (or your dealer) pay for the parts. Have your dealer go to work FOR you...Just a thought.

Craig

Have you ran it yet? I've got a Targa 18/Merc 150 EFI with the factory installed single rack. With the addition of the high speed skeg mounted torque tab ($15), it runs fine and doesn't pull. You may want to try yours out before going any further. Just a thought.

Michael, this is unrelated...but are you originally from Indiana?

This motor has been on here since january and I have 10 hours on motor. I have a NFB steering so pull is really not an issue. The issue is that people i have talked to and also teleflex stated that a single cable should never be used when going over 50 mph and anything v-6 or larger due to the cable breaking at high speeds. It is not the pull i am worried about. Don no i have always lived in new jersey except in the 80's i lived in florida.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but there is a chance for me to learn something here from Dan J. What is the purpose of the torque tab? Is it only to counteract high speed pull or does it have some effect on takeoff?

Harry - I think we might be getting two different torque tabs confused. Most small motors (under V-6) have a factory torque tab of some type that is made in line with the prop thrust, usually located under the cavitation plate on the gear case. This one will slightly improve torque pull by redirecting the thrust at the angle it is adjusted. A high speed torque tab is usually welded, riveted, or in some way permanently afixed to the very trailing edge of the skeg. (bottom of lower unit) This type of torque tab can greatly reduce the amount of torque by using the speed of the boat (movement through the water) as power, pushing against the wedge of the torque tab, counteracting most, if not all of the right hand hook produced by the engine. With a high speed torque tab and proper trimming, you should be able to almost run a straight line with little to no helm adjustment on a fixed cable sysytem.

Back