Vinegar to clean boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark schafer2

Reaction score
My Nitro Saveage has some severe water stains on it. I used vinegar to clean the motor and trailer and was wondering if using vinegar on the actual boat would hurt the finish.

I read the web-site and it says it makes quick work of scum lines and road tar but will it remove the hard water stains that have never been taken care of? Heavy oxidation?

1/3 part vinegar, 2/3 parts water - spray her down when you get off the water and she'll look like new - and I have never ever heard of this causing any issues... I have personally never had an issue and I can't tell you how long I've been doing this or how many other guys I know that do the same thing....

david

Thanks I just used straight vinegar on the trailer and motor and it did make it look brand new.

It will not take care of oxidation and it may not work on the heavy water stains/scum lines, depends on how bad they are. If you have oxidation, depending on the severity, you will have to buff with an oxidation remover. If it is real bad, you will have to wet sand. Some great tips posted on www.bassboatcentral.com boards. there is a boat restoration board with tons of info.

Remember that vinegar is a food product and if not rinsed off thoroughly mold could develop.

Vi negar works great for cleaning off hard water stains and also for elaning the livewell. I like to dilute it like vectordave does.

btw Marty, vinegar should not grow mold. acetic acid which is what vinegar really is, is commonly used to kill baceria and fungus. I know this all too well from personal experience with ear infections and surgery. After the suugery i was given acetic acid drops to prevent fungus growth while the ear healed. I wasalso given it for what was thought to be a fungal infection once and since i had a hole in the eardrum the stuff ran right thru it and down my throat and all i could taste was vinegar, extra bad since i hate vinegar....

Put some vinegar in a bucket and leave it in your garage. See what happens.

White vinegar has never gone moldy for me, Apple cider vinegar will readily. I have had white vinegar so long that it loses its potency (fact I confirmed). I used to turn bushels of excess cukes into pickles, then finally figured out the easiest way to not have an excess cucumber problem is to not plant them.

My wife uses it for all kinds of tough cleaning jobs, and has certainly used it to clean up different areas of my boat.

Tex

I had to satisfy my own curiosity as to the difference between white vinegar and apple cider vinegar.

White vinegar is not entirely unrelated to Moonshine (corn Mash)and Salt, watered down to 5%. Apple Cider (apple mash)vinegar WILL go bad due to the remaining presence of the "Mother of vinegar" element.

Latest posts

Back