VERY negative bass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
So, I visted a little pond in my area on Wednesday and yesterday. There are TONS of HUGE largemouth in there. THERE EVERYWHERE and the best part is nobody knows about it. But, I have been 100% skunked the last two visits. It's got to be in the mid to upper 50's by now. I have thrown EVERYTHING to those fish and zip. I even slummed it and tried a nightcrawler and a bobber. Still..... zip....

???????

Not to be flip but are you sure they are bass.....2 things that you say make me wonder,

#1. "Tons of huge"......If it is a small pond, normally there isn't a way for a lot of bass to get huge....

#2. They won't bite.....could it be they are buffalo carp or something that resembles a bass?

TOXIC

Throw a shiner in there and see what happends.

...........Gulp

I have a 1 acre pond with bass up to 3+ pounds. Like clock work you can sneak up on them and throw anything you want and catch one, two maybe three and then they shut down for at least a couple of hours. The only thing I have been able to trick them with once they are alarmed, is the a Zoom Horny Toad worked across the top like a buzz bait. If you can see them, cast 10' past them and run it over the top of them. Some times the you get a reaction strike on the first cast and other times you just have to make them mad with multple cast.

If you do try it let me know if it works for you.

Go back with two lures - small lizards and the tubes you mentioned. I prefer watermelonseed or green pumpkin for the lizards (watermelonseed in clear water, green pumpkin in the stained). Get the lizard in front of them and kill it. Forever. If they move off, just let it sit. If they come up to it and nose it, but won't bite - pop it hard. If you can, hit 'em in the jaw with it. When they swim off, let it sit there again. When they come back, hang on because they're just going to come through like a torpedo and nail it. On the tubes - same thing. Throw it in there and let it sit. Favorite colors on the tubes are watermelonseed, green pumpkin.... and this time of year - Zoom's "camo" color or orange / green pumpkin laminate (the later of which is my favorite). When the fish just keep looking at it forever and don't bite, pop it. When they swim off, reel in really quickly and wait. When you see the fish come back, put a chunk of alka-seltzer in the tube body and throw it back to them. They will hit it. Just be patient. And if they don't..... then maybe they are the Carp that TOXIC mentioned. LMAO!!!

A 3" C4 tube in natural white would be my choice.

Make sure you make a very long cast...

When I was a kid....

Used to fish alot of ponds...

Seemed like anytime YOU could see a bass, they could see YOU and would not bite...

Try a very stealthy approach...stand back aways from the bank when you cast...definetly keep your shadow behind you...

See if this helps...

az

Try dynamite, or a shocker-stick...oops, did I just say Shocker?!?

Back