Vehicle Motor Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
I hate to admit it because it isn't very manly, but when it comes to cars, trucks, and such I'm pretty dumb. So...I'm looking at a 2000 Ford Expedition with 92,000 miles on it. We like it because it has the 3rd row seat for the family and it will tow our boat with no problem. My dad has a 98 that is about the same and gets decent milage pulling a 16 ft enclosed trailer that weighs about 4000 lbs loaded. He gets about 11 pulling and 19 on the highway (just drove from Iowa to Nashville and back). The difference between the two is that his is the 4.6 V8 and the one I'm looking at has the Triton 5.4 V8. My question is this: Will there be a mpg difference between those two vehicles because of the motor? If so can anyone estimate how big or small it will be? Thanks for all of the help guys!

Ethan, I would speculate that the mileage would be comparable. It should be a little easier to pull a boat than a box trailer, so that will help. To optimize fuel economy, always keep all tires at near max pressure, and use the cruise control (unless the terrain is very hilly).

Thanks for the help Don. What about without a trailer? Do you think it would have comprable milage then? Again, thanks for the answer.

I would think you would get about the same mileage, the V8 is a bigger engine and doesn't have to work as hard as the V6 to push the same truck. Also depends on rear end gearing, etc.

they will get within 2 mpg. since both are v-8's and are of a modular design they are very comparable. both are bullet proof if you maintain them.

mike

Ethan,

I dont know about 2000 yr. But when I purchased my 2004 F150 I was looking at both the 4.6 liter and 5.4 liter Triton engines and the sticker on the window for both models had the same MPG. Could be that the 2004 is a 3 valve per cylinder motor vs. 2 valve per thats on the 2000.

Back