USCG Licensing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
How do you get lincesed by the US Coast guard to opperate a vessel?

The new Missouri Law (effects me in 2006 if I want to operate a rental boat) says I will be exempt from the missouri license if I am Licensed by the US Coast Guard.

In the next few years hopefully I'll have the oppurtunity to venture off to more states and fish. I'm sure Missouri wont be the only state that will require licenses to operate a boat. I figured I might as well get my USCG license and that way it will work nationally and not have to get licenses from multiple states.

I've gone to their website but what are the requirements to get a USCG license? I'm sure I'll have to go take classes and pass a test, its all cool.

BJ

Yes..that's a number one ***** with guides at Erie:blink:

The OUPV (Other Uninspected Passenger Vessel) Licens is the CG "junior" license for guides on waters other than the Great Lakes (and the seas and oceans)... It is not as tough to get as the traditional Captain's License... However, it is issued for stated local waters so you would have to test for the river system near your home..... OUPV classes are anywhere from $400 - $900 plus drug test background check, CPR training and exam fee... totals around $1000-1500.... I'm in class this winter... Guides in Wisconsin are being required to hold an OUPV to work the Winnebago System... Not funny...

And Champlain Tee!

It's not that bad anymore Neeley. It all depends.

The license itself is not that expensive BJ, however, the study guide etc, add up. But usually just buying the study guide is not enough. The first time failure rate for people who do not attend a USCG approved course is something like 75%. But when you retake the test, you only take the parts that you failed.

However, you can take courses that guarantee passing the test. They are usually a week long and you take the test at the end. They are more or less "buying" your license for you.

If that's the route you take, it gets expensive, because often the school is anywhere from $800 to $2,ooo. Then add in the cost of a hotel for the week, food, transportation, and the test and license fee and you can easily get up there. If your state has a state license that covers you, go with that! The test is insane. I did not pass it the first time...surprise, because I only studied. I am now scheduled to go to a course to get it this year. I am taking the cheapest possible way out, (cheap room, cheap food, etc) and the cheapest course I could find that is as close as possible so I can drive it, and I'm still going to sink about $1500 into it. But I have NO choice. To guide on Erie, Champlain, and the St. Lawrence, I need it. What you are looking for should you pursue it is the "6 pack".

Good luck.

Rob

If you want a copy of one of the tests for referrence, I have one on CD-ROM I can send you. That will give you a better idea of what you're up against. Totally irrelevant stuff for inland guiding out of a bass boat but that's the law.:angry:

Rob, Greg is this a one time thing or do you all have to re take the test periodically? Man they don't pay you enough.

Fatrap

BJ,

I know in NJ they have something very similar to this where if you were born after 1980 (I think), you had to be licensed to operate a motor boat. For me this meant taking a course offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. This was a 6-week class, that meant once a week. The only cost was for the book. When I got my drivers license, all I had to do was show them the card saying I passed the class and they added it on to my drivers license (and raised the price):(. So you might want to check out exactly what they mean when they say licensed.

Adam

BJ - I'm with Adam.

Are you talking about becoming a guide or taking the test so you can operate a boat for yourself on the water? If as a guide the first five replies are more towards the question.

If you are talking about taking it for operating a boat for personal, I believe there are 30 or so states that allow you to either take the state-specific boating test or the Coast Guard Test. The benefit of taking the coast guard test is that it is becoming standardized and if you ever move to a different state, may be exempt from taking that state's boating test. Sort of like getting a driver's license and not having to retake the test every time you move from one state to another.

I live in Massachusetts but decided to take the Coast Guard test in NH a few years ago and it was very good and as stated, allowed me to be exempt from taking the Masachusetts test. As Adam suggested, the cost is very low and well worth it. I believe if you do some digging, you can find a location near you to take the test. If you google, there may even be an online test you can take. I strongly suggest getting the book whichever way you go.

Let me know which Coast Guard Test you are talking about taking. I am now interested which test you are talking about. I hope this helps.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Back