USAToday Story on Johnny Morris and BPS

• Thread starter Jim in VA [URL]http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story, I disagree with some of the posted comments related to Walmart and Bass Pro, if folks don't want to work for the salary/benefits offered, not one is forcing them to work there. And if Bass Pro and WalMart went out of business, a WHOLE lot of folks would be out of work!

I just wish the BPS was closer or offered free shipping!!

Im a assistant manager at walmart, They have been good to me, I love bass pro its my favorite store, I plan vacations around towns that have one in them, i just wish they were one close to home

Todd- we do the same things on vacation, we drive yearly to OK to my Mother-n-laws, there are THREE BPS stores (Memphis, Nashville and Tulsa) we stop at!

I go to the smokies three or four times a year, to go to bass pro and fish douglass, noriss , but mostly bass pro

After my retirement from my career, I wanted something to do a few days a week. Having been a total outdoors type for my more than 50 years, Bass Pro seemed perfect to fill the void. I never expected the job to be nearly as fantastic as it is. I absolutely love working there. No, the monetary reward isn't much but, it also isn't why I am still there after 2 years. I can't even begin to list all the reasons why Johnny's employees are happier than most working people making alot more! It isn't always about pay rates and benefits.

Todd, just wondering, our local Walmart is all but getting out of the fishing tackle business, they shortened the isle and cut way back. They don't even have worm weights anymore. Is this a trend for all Walmarts or just the ones in the sticks.

I have heard ALL Walmarts are scaling back.

With them getting out of the FLW,...i'd say it's more than just the stores in the boonies,.....it's all over. That article's reference to Walmart getting INTO the fishing market is BS!! Quite the opposite!! (IMHO anyway):huh:

Im in the sticks and I havent seen or heard about any scale back, I have noticed stores closer to big lakes seem to have a better selection of tackle.

Im in the hills of eastern ky ours is still pretty good

Our Walmart scaled-back quite a bit on their fishing items after they did a re-fit of that section. I hardly even go to the fishing section anymore. However, they still carry lots of hunting equipment and guns........but I don't hunt. :rolleyes: . BPS in Nashville is about 2-2.5 hrs from me. Ordering on-line when I need something is cheaper than driving there. :blink:

We definetly see a differentiation by location (as Todd mentioned) the Walmart 1 MILE from our lake is STOCKED with and expanding their fishing department, heck even our Ace Hardware has a fishing isle with quality stuff (thanks to a local angler working there). But the Walmart 10 miles east into town has very little tackle, as there is not a lake/fishing population near by. I know 10 miles for folks in more rural areas isn't close(like my mother-n-law in Oolagah OK having a walmart 15 miles away is CLOSE!!! LOL)

I'm just glad he does what he does, he employs a HUGE population, created a niche concept, took risks and is reaping the benefits, thats what America is all about!

Latest posts

Back